News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Did Mike ever play a fretless bass?

Started by khalpin, November 18, 2008, 10:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blastoplast

Quote from: G. Augusto on November 18, 2008, 05:48:58 PM
Nah.
It might have been a one-stringer.
a

He played a one string bass solo during Lawn Boy on 11-14-94.
If you listen too closely to the sound, you might miss the music.  -Jim Henson

sunrisevt

Quote from: khalpin on November 19, 2008, 09:17:52 AM
Quote from: G. Augusto on November 18, 2008, 03:36:00 PM
Check out Tela from 06-26-1994 and DFB from 12-02-1997.
He played a really strange bass (just the neck, iirc) on that DFB.
a
Okay, the 12/2/97 wasn't what I was thinking of, although the Tela sounds similar to what I had in mind, but the sliding is too fast to really tell. 

However, I found an example, which is from 23:00 - 25:00 in the 11/26/94 Bowie.  Although listening to it a couple more times, I'm starting to think it's a foot pedal that controls the pitch.

Here's the whole song from KShap's FTA a couple months ago:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/mxm9og

He probably was using a Whammy pedal--Trey said in an interview some years back that he & Mike used the octave-shifting function on the Whammy pedal to switch pitch registers (i.e., Trey playing way down low & MIke playing way up high) during the Bangor Tweezer (released on A Live One). That puts Mike's use of the Whammy pedal in the same time frame you're talking about here.

Quote from: Mistercharlie on November 18, 2008, 06:19:54 PM
Les Claypool's single-string bass is called a Whamola. I don't think Mike ever played one though, but I could be wrong.

OK. I remember reading in 7 Days, the local Burlington alternative weekly newspaper, that Mike was going to play some weird one-string bass when he got onstage with Michael Ray & the Kosmic Krewe. This would have been around 95 or 96. The description sounds like a Whamola.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Caravan2001

fwiw, when I went to Mike's apt. in NYC, he had a fretless hanging on the wall (with about at least 5 or 6 other gits and basses)....

khalpin

Quote from: sunrisevt on November 19, 2008, 10:08:08 AM
He probably was using a Whammy pedal--Trey said in an interview some years back that he & Mike used the octave-shifting function on the Whammy pedal to switch pitch registers (i.e., Trey playing way down low & MIke playing way up high) during the Bangor Tweezer (released on A Live One). That puts Mike's use of the Whammy pedal in the same time frame you're talking about here.

That sounds like the plausible answer.

Quote from: caravan2001 on November 19, 2008, 11:31:33 AM
fwiw, when I went to Mike's apt. in NYC, he had a fretless hanging on the wall (with about at least 5 or 6 other gits and basses)....

That's pretty sweet.  Any other notable things in his apartment?  Like a chest with The Gimp inside?

Mr Minor

blastoplast

I think I am remembering mostly correctly...that was the summer I started puffing, after all...the one string he used on 11-14-94 looked like a box with a long peg (stick) coming out of the top.  It had a handle or something on the top that he used to change the pitch.  It was interesting.  Check the recording. 
If you listen too closely to the sound, you might miss the music.  -Jim Henson

Marmar

I got video of Les jammin the fuck outta that thing....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Caravan2001

Quote from: khalpin on November 19, 2008, 11:51:08 AM

That's pretty sweet.  Any other notable things in his apartment?  Like a chest with The Gimp inside?

The only other cool things were the Segway (those things rule!) and his sweet sunburst Languedoc, which also ruled! He also has a ton of amazing art....

kellerb

Quote from: caravan2001 on November 19, 2008, 10:06:34 PM
Quote from: khalpin on November 19, 2008, 11:51:08 AM

The only other cool things were the Segway (those things rule!) and his sweet sunburst Languedoc, which also ruled! He also has a ton of amazing art....
Actually, if you look in the very corner of the room behind you in that picture, you'll see a whamola-type instrument...

Caravan2001

he had a ton of cool instruments there, and a piano, drum set, all that.  It is where he recorded the first Mike Gordon Band album...It was a sweet setup right on top of the Knitting Factory, but he doesn't have that place now afaik....

Caravan2001

don't know what to think of my guitar face in that pic though  :roll:

mistercharlie

That is a Whamola in the corner behind you in that picture.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Mr Minor

Quote from: caravan2001 on November 20, 2008, 01:21:07 AM

Classic rawk face.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Mr Minor on November 21, 2008, 02:02:33 PM
Quote from: caravan2001 on November 20, 2008, 01:21:07 AM

Classic rawk face.

1/2 Rawk, 1/2 Michael Jordan!