News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R6/W04: 04-05-1998 Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI

Started by Declan, January 11, 2009, 02:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

never heard this believe it or not (except for the Cavern of course)......I do have 4 unripped tickets to it though  :|....Ima gonna listen and hop in with a rogue review....thanks

VA $l!m

Quote from: VA slim on January 23, 2009, 04:16:14 PM
nice random pick, i just finished listening to this yesterday.
really an underated show if thats possible for one from this run.

i still remember the closing funk-down from an awesome 4 nites like it was yesterday.

i would like to add one thing to this discussion.

for me the thing that gets me about this show is the first set's list i think.
whenever i'm looking for a disc to pull out that 'looks' good setlist wise, in other words with many of my favortie tunes in a cool looking order, this is one that jumps out at me.
and i think even though the first set doesnt necessarily have any Stand out versions, that overall the FLow of the set is definitely ON, and the execution is above par across the board.
for instance the mcgrupp-- a song i can usually take or leave, just seems to fit perfectly into this first set and along with many other tunes like cities, that might not be the 'best' version ever, delivers more on a subconscious level for me.
i dont really think that any set from 98 that has a YEM, bathtub, cities, and SOAM i could not take notice of. IMO thats just jammed pack and the type of set i could leave after and not even need a second.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

mattstick

Comment from the sidelines...

This was my first YEM - about 2 years after my first show.

birdman

Quote from: mattstick on January 24, 2009, 06:41:35 PM

Comment from the sidelines...

This was my first YEM - about 2 years after my first show.
Newb
Paug FTMFW!

mattstick

VA $l!m

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

birdman

Quote from: VA slim on January 24, 2009, 08:49:52 PM
i really like YEM in the opener OHkeepa> slot.
Agreed. A lot of phans were calling YEM as the opener pre-show, seemed likely after the bombs that were dropped early the three previous show. The Oh Kee Pah was just icing on the cake.
Paug FTMFW!

blatboom

Set I:

Oh kee pa>YEM - Trey fumbles around a little on Oh kee pa and he seems a half step off on the opening sections of YEM but they pull it together quickly and by the time they get to the jam everything is flowing.  Page plays some sick stuff over the tramps and it's all very funky..turns out to be a great YEM IMO  [I didn't know this was such a rare combo, seems like a logical pairing]

Theme - love Theme.  again not the tightest and Trey sorta struggles with "the part" but the jam takes off like most do

McGrupp - love this also.  and it's actually real tight with a very chill jam and some more great Page action this time on piano.  killer McGrupp

Bathtub Gin - setlist is shaping up nice thus far.  jam is pretty standard until ~9th minute when it turns a corner and starts to take the feel that those Gins this year have featuring the band locking into a real sick dance beat (perfected on 7/29).  segues directly into

>Cities - they had the right idea but the execution of that transition is pretty rough.  more funkiness and a solid Cities.. and the jam that develops afterwards is exceptional.

>Sparkle - perhaps my least favorite Phish original

>Split - Trey plays a riff from something familiar that I know I should know but I can't place it.  decent jam overall and a solid closer

Set II:

DWD - some trippy effects preceed this one.  starts out hot and Trey nails his solo.  jam is high-energy so Trey does some shredding and I love MIke's tone throughout.  also a nasty wind-down jam at the end

Ya Mar - not crazy about this one these days, but it's still a good song and can feature some nice jams, as this one here does.  for a while it's just Trey and the crowd before they join up again for a real sweet jam that fades into

>Prince Caspian - sorta inevitable in a 4-show run.  It's serviceable I guess and the jam is actually rockin

Maze - not crazy about a Maze here but I guess it was now or never.  and this is no ordinary Maze anyway...sweet Page solo, sweet Tr-- oh what have we here

>Shafty - abandoning Maze just as Trey's solo was to begin, they debut Shafty.  I can only assume they realized what a garbage song Olivia's Pool was and decided to give it new life.  This version is raw and very jammy.  sick stuff!! (the soundchecked Shafty from the LP release is ever nastier)

>Possum - cool segue into Possum.  couple Shafty quotes in for good measure.  rip-roaring version

>jam - Trey kicks it off and everybody else picks up on his riff.  I think I'll stick around and dance to the funk

>Cavern - Trey throws the Cavern chords in there and next thing you know they're playing Cavern over that funk jam.  has a bit of a novelty feel to it but as a one-off it's pretty cool.  although turning the blade on the bitch and dropping her in the dung is a bit harsh

Encore:

Bold as Love - not a fan but they do it up right

I had always given this show the short shrift when it comes to the Island run.  but I've given it a serious listen a couple times now and I have a newfound appreciation of it.  some rough patches sure but it also features lots of cool jams.  thanks for the pick, Declan.  B

mbw

oh shit, i knew i missed a caspian!  i loved it.  know matter what you think of trey vocally, hearing him belt out "oooooooooh, to be....." is always goose bumpy for me, solid caspian!

alcoholandcoffeebeans

honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

pnchundi

the island tour... i could not get tickets, but i had some friends who went.  The perfect blend of cowfunk and the hint of the ambient jamming of summer.   It is really hard to pick which night of the run is the best, because they are all so seemless from night to night, but also so unique cause each night kicks ass. 
oh kee pah>yem  a little warm up with oh kee pah and straight into the yemmy madness sets a serious tone for the evening.  The early sections are not super crisp but they more than make up for it by launching into serious funkspace jamming
theme- solid follow up, opens nicely and keeps things moving along
mcgrupp- kickdown.  i realize this song is not a rarity, but i love it
gin- wow, no signs of slowing down.  Lots of fire as the boys are gelling nicely at this point and the jams get really intense and face melty
cities> starting in 97 cities took on its own persona and become a force to be reckoned with.  I can get lost in this city
sparkle> ok they are human after all.  sparkle works its magic here, cranking things up a notch in terms of intensity but also allows for a slight breather
split- killer end to a great set.  lots of fun here, maybe a little sloppy, but worth it

dwd- this night is off to an epic start with no signs of mercy.  Mike is loud and funky and the jam is ferocious
ya mar- slightly out of place but good
prince caspian- my friend, who truly is a wookie, had rigged a mast and sail on top of his vw bus and drove around new york ala caspian.  of course he was tripping ballz but its a funny story. Great playing for page and trey
maze- another meaty song, almost does not fit with the flow of the evening but it absolutely rips
shafty- debut, mike sounds great
possum- they are coasting now but when phish coasts people listen!
jam- as if they dont want to end possum this little thing starts it back up again
cavern- deep booming rifts bring this evening to a close

bold as love- i love that phish has played this song since their earliest days, but its not always the easiest song to hear.  the jam at the end is smoking and my ears are ringing

What an end to a terrific tour.  First set almost outpaces the second with yem essentially opening and then the wonderful gin>cities and split to close.  The second set starts out with a bang but they lost some steam and spent most of the second set just goofing around having fun.  And there is nothing wrong with that.
B+ and thanks for making me drag this one out for a relisten

McGrupp

Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

whatapiper

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

susep