News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Letter to Phish re: scalping

Started by Play_It_Leo, March 18, 2009, 11:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Play_It_Leo

I've had enough of trying to get seats for the Fox. I'm sure a lot of you have seen me in different forums complaining about the prices. I found 2 ebay listings that explicitly say they got their tickets from the lottery and are selling them for $1500 or so for a pair. I sent the following email to the band:

QuoteTo Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to inform you of blantant disregard for Phish's stated policy regarding their ticket lottery system. The policy states that:

Phish Tickets has a zero tolerance for scalping and insists that all patrons of our service abide by our policy stated herein. Tickets made available through this site are intended only for fans who are actually planning on attending the shows requested. It is strictly prohibited to resell any tickets obtained through Phish Tickets for more than the purchase price. If you are found to be reselling, trading or brokering tickets that you purchased through our site for profit, Phish Tickets may at its discretion cancel your ticket order and all other pending orders in your name.

I am a St. Louis resident and have been shut out of seats for my hometown show at the Fox Theatre. In desperation, I've been trying to find a "deal" on various broker sites. In searching ebay.com specifically, some persons lucky enough to have been granted tickets via the lottery are stating such and selling their tickets for $500-$1000/seat. Following are a few of the links to these persons who arein violation of the terms and spirit of the lottery agreement:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Phish-Tickets-06-16-09-FOX-THEATRE_W0QQitemZ230331904549QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Tickets_all_in_one?hash=item230331904549&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1257|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Phish-Tickets-at-The-Fabulous-Fox-Theatre-6-16-09_W0QQitemZ300301500240QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Tickets_all_in_one?hash=item300301500240&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1257|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Many of the other tickets listed on ebay for similar prices also appear to be in the same section(s), implying to me that they also may be tickets from the lottery. As a fan, I would like to think I would do anything to see a Phish show in my home town. As a father of 2 small children, I can't possibly justify paying anywhere near this much.

I am uncertain what steps you may be able to take to prevent the above tickets from being sold for exorbitant amounts. If you are able to intervene, thank you very much on behalf of all true Phish fans. We care too much for the band, music, and the fan community to stand for selfishness such as this. If you aren't able to put a stop to this, I appreciate all your efforts to end this abuse.

Sincerely,

Chris Dollenmeyer
St. Louis, Missouri

If any of you guys see similar auctions/"sales" that state that they have lottery seats, please report them and see if we can get a few more seats back into our hands instead of brokers.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 03, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

blatboom

I read this today and got a chuckle out of it..

http://phish.portals.musictoday.com/
QuoteA FEW CHOICE WORDS ON SCALPING

Phish Tickets has a zero tolerance for scalping and insists that all patrons of our service abide by our policy stated herein. Tickets made available through this site are intended only for fans who are actually planning on attending the shows requested. It is strictly prohibited to resell any tickets obtained through Phish Tickets for more than the purchase price. If you are found to be reselling, trading or brokering tickets that you purchased through our site for profit, Phish Tickets may at its discretion cancel your ticket order and all other pending orders in your name. This cancellation will result in a refund of the total price for the tickets minus a $7.00 per ticket processing fee and any shipping fees that have been incurred with respect to the order. We reserve the right to investigate all orders suspected to be in violation of this policy.

whyweigh5.0

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

whyweigh5.0

phish could make a killing on all those 7dollar processing fees
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

Play_It_Leo

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 03, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

noodle

Ri©h

thechad

Quote from: whyweigh3.5 on March 18, 2009, 11:48:56 PM
postal money order mail order

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I NEVER got shut out for any show with the old system, not NYE shows, not Halloween shows, nothing.  I for one would love it if they went back to the old system.  But, the brokers would just hire people to fill out the forms and get the tickets mailed to them, so I don't really think it would solve anything, I just liked doing it more.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

Hicks

Quote from: thechad on March 19, 2009, 12:45:17 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I NEVER got shut out for any show with the old system, not NYE shows, not Halloween shows, nothing.  I for one would love it if they went back to the old system.  But, the brokers would just hire people to fill out the forms and get the tickets mailed to them, so I don't really think it would solve anything, I just liked doing it more.

Yup, like it or not Phish is kind of a big deal in 09.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

thechad

Quote from: Hicks on March 19, 2009, 12:46:24 AM
Quote from: thechad on March 19, 2009, 12:45:17 AM

Yup, like it or not Phish is kind of a big deal in 09.

QFT, and I don't really think that there is any end all be all system to stop scalpers and brokers from getting their hands on the tickets.  I fact, I think that on the whole, Phish fans have been lucky that no one has really paid that much attention to us and we have never really had to deal with this on this scale until now, where as this same thing has been plaguing the more well known "big" acts for decades.  Our scene has finally grown up.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

sunrisevt

Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

mattstick

A much better course of action would be to find eBay regulations that these auctions violate and report them to eBay.

Phish has no legal recourse over these auctions.

nab

Quote from: mattstick on March 19, 2009, 09:10:37 AM

A much better course of action would be to find eBay regulations that these auctions violate and report them to eBay.

Phish has no legal recourse over these auctions.

While I agree with you about the course of action, Phish does have legal recourse over the individuals that put these tickets up for auction through the agreement included in ticket purchase.  Admitting that the tickets came from lottery also implicates these individuals.  Reporting the activities to Phish couldn't hurt, and just might help.

mattstick

So you think they should try and figure out who this person is (based on their eBay ID?), then cancel or void their tickets?

How do you propose they do that?

Let's just get real about things for a second.

nab

Ebay's privacy policy does allow third parties to request personal information.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/privacy-policy.html#Disclosure