News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

MLB 2009 y'all

Started by mattstick, April 06, 2009, 03:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on October 23, 2009, 02:39:03 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on October 21, 2009, 12:14:38 AM
Expect the Angels to win tommorrow, so the Yankees can win at home.

New stadium, new team, new homecoming.

Boring, unless you are a Yankees fan.

Told ya'll.

Baring some kind of "miracle", expect the Yankees to dominate the next game in the series to the delight of their home crowd.

I hope this goes to an epic game 7. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: antelope19 on October 23, 2009, 02:41:07 PM

I agree.  However, I feel like the Yankees really want to win the WS.  For them to allow it to go to an epic game 7 would be incredible for business, unless they let their fans down and fail to win.  I have a feeling they'll keep it safe and dominate in the next game.

That said, if they intentionally lost last night, they did it in epic fashion.  They really are a good team.  I may not like their fans or business practices, but they have put together a solid squad.

Kudos go to the Yankees.

antelope19

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on October 23, 2009, 02:44:22 PM

I agree.  However, I feel like the Yankees really want to win the WS.  For them to allow it to go to an epic game 7 would be incredible for business, unless they let their fans down and fail to win.  I have a feeling they'll keep it safe and dominate in the next game.

That said, if they intentionally lost last night, they did it in epic fashion.  They really are a good team.  I may not like their fans or business practices, but they have put together a solid squad.

Kudos go to the Yankees.

:roll:

If the Angels dont "really want to win a WS" they're in the wrong business.  I would say they want it just as bad.  And no offense, but you're crazy if you think the Yankees tried to lose that game last night. 

mattstick

When I think of great teams, I think of these Angels, or last years Rays... the Yankees are a collection of All-Stars with big contracts.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: antelope19 on October 23, 2009, 02:48:10 PM

Kudos go to the Yankees.

If the Angels dont "really want to win a WS" they're in the wrong business.  I would say they want it just as bad.  And no offense, but you're crazy if you think the Yankees tried to lose that game last night.

I never said they didn't want to win.  I don't think they are playing better ball than the Yankees right now.  Since they aren't playing as well as the Yankees, they are not in a position of power that allows them to do things like lose a game to force it to go home so that they can win and party on their own turf (like the Yankees).

There is as much chance that the Yankees allowed the Angels to win as there is that they lost to the Angels last night when they wanted to win.  They clearly demonstrated control of the game early on, and it was amazing to see the Angels come back, the Yankees again demonstrate control, and then to see the Angels come back again.

Especially after the drubbing the Yankees gave the Angels in the game before.

You roll your eyes towards me, yet you don't point out to how my thoughts don't make sense.  Especially after I correctly predicted an Angels victory last night.

Like I predicted that Angels victory, I'm pretty confident that the Yankees will totally dominate game six in game four's fashion and the home crowd will get an AWESOME show. 

antelope19

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on October 23, 2009, 02:59:50 PM
Quote from: antelope19 on October 23, 2009, 02:48:10 PM

Kudos go to the Yankees.

I never said they didn't want to win.  I don't think they are playing better ball than the Yankees right now.  Since they aren't playing as well as the Yankees, they are not in a position of power that allows them to do things like lose a game to force it to go home so that they can win and party on their own turf (like the Yankees).

There is as much chance that the Yankees allowed the Angels to win as there is that they lost to the Angels last night when they wanted to win.  They clearly demonstrated control of the game early on, and it was amazing to see the Angels come back, the Yankees again demonstrate control, and then to see the Angels come back again.

Especially after the drubbing the Yankees gave the Angels in the game before.

You roll your eyes towards me, yet you don't point out to how my thoughts don't make sense.  Especially after I correctly predicted an Angels victory last night.

Like I predicted that Angels victory, I'm pretty confident that the Yankees will totally dominate game six in game four's fashion and the home crowd will get an AWESOME show.

Perhaps I am just misunderstanding the way you are wording this?  But I just have a hard time believing the Yankees let the Angels win.  You go for the Jugular when the opportunity presents itself.  You don't let a team hang around, allowing their confidence to grow, just so you can have a chance at celebrating on your home turf.

Also, I'm having a hard time believing you even watched the game last night.  How could you possibly believe that they Yankees controlled the game early on?  The Angels dropped a 4 spot on the yanks in the first inning before Burnett could even record an out.  And Lackey clearly brought his "A" game last night.  He made the Yankee hitters look like Minor Leaguers for the first few innings. 

:?

fauxpaxfauxreal

I watched the highlights on ESPN, I didn't watch the game.  I thought it was 4-2 yanks at the beginning?  If I was wrong, I apologize for an incorrect summary, I was out at a club partying it up and didn't have time for couch surfing, especially since the Brewers made an early exit.

Perhaps my summation of the game is incorrect.  But I predicted that the Yankees would bow down yesterday, and then the Angels won.  If the Angels took an early lead, that leads me to believe more so that my theory is correct, as opposed to the contrary.

MLB is a business.  More games=more money.  The money is primary and winning is secondary, especially to a club like the Yankees.  Clinching a division series never is more profitable than when you do it at home.  Why you don't understand this aspect of the MLB is beyond me.  When you invest so much money on an all star team, you don't do it just to win, you do it to make money on that investment.  The Yankees are all too intelligent in this department.  Kind of like throwing a ball with a 1-2 count, it's calculated risk.

mattstick

In games with professionals, you just can't will yourself to win or lose.

If you don't compete you lose - if you compete you may or may not win.

The Yankees are a solid collection of talent but on any given day a good pitcher can shut down a talented hitter, Lackey did that for most of the game.

Similarly, the Yankee pitchers cannot magically throw balls through the strike zone without the Angels hitters having an opportunity to hit them - they have to perform, and if they make mistakes (which is a something all humans do), the Angels have a shot at winning.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: mattstick on October 23, 2009, 03:42:03 PM

In games with professionals, you just can't will yourself to win or lose.

If you don't compete you lose - if you compete you may or may not win.

The Yankees are a solid collection of talent but on any given day a good pitcher can shut down a talented hitter, Lackey did that for most of the game.

Similarly, the Yankee pitchers cannot magically throw balls through the strike zone without the Angels hitters having an opportunity to hit them - they have to perform, and if they make mistakes (which is a something all humans do), the Angels have a shot at winning.

It takes a ton of skill to control a game when your only object is to win.  It takes a shit ton more skill to control a game that you want to lose, when you want to want to win the next game while another goal is not making it look like you want to lose.  This is why if the Yankees wanted to lose yesterday, they are masters.  Not only did they accomplish their task, but they accomplished it without making it look like they wanted to.

That is what makes a team great.

Not wins and losses, but game control.

mattstick

Winning the World Series is worth a whole lot more to that franchise than an extra home game.

If they possess this great "game control" why did they lose regular season games to teams that would go on to lose over 90 games?

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: mattstick on October 23, 2009, 03:46:54 PM

Winning the World Series is worth a whole lot more to that franchise than an extra home game.

If they possess this great "game control" why did they lose regular season games to teams that would go on to lose over 90 games?

They know they will win game six is why and then they will have a different opponent to deal with, the Phillies.  (Or the Dodgers...)

If they don't possess great "game control", why are they about to clinch the league title at home?

mattstick

Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a charm.

Lisa: That's specious reasoning, Dad.

Homer: Thank you, dear.

Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.

Homer: Oh, how does it work?

Lisa: It doesn't work.

Homer: Uh-huh.

Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.

Homer: Uh-huh.

Lisa: But I don't see any tigers around, do you?

[Homer thinks of this, then pulls out some money]

Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.

Alumni

Faux, if you're going to make that claim, at least cite the most solid piece of evidence for it.  8-)

You're Phil Hughes, the most reliable Yankee reliever not named Rivera. Swingin Vladdy Guerrero is at the plate. You get the count to 1-2. Guerrero should be a goner. His plate discipline sucks to begin with. And with two strikes? You might as well be out of the inning already.

So where do you put pitch 4? Over the plate and an inch or two above the knees. There's missing your spot and then there's sheer incompetence beyond all comprehension. My guess is Hughes choked. But if I were going to tell a conspiracy story, I'd try to find a specific moment where you could swing the game. And that moment is it. Throw a shoulder high fastball, and no way Vladdy lays off it. He either swings and misses or pops out. Either way, the inning is over.
Cause I got a degree

inourdr

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on October 23, 2009, 03:52:37 PM
Quote from: mattstick on October 23, 2009, 03:46:54 PM

They know they will win game six is why and then they will have a different opponent to deal with, the Phillies.  (Or the Dodgers...)

If they don't possess great "game control", why are they about to clinch the league title at home?

The players don't give two shits as to if the team makes more money by having an extra home game. You're "theory" of a thrown game is laughable.

Burnett's thoughts: Maybe I'll give up a bunch of runs before I even record an out. Sure, I'll look like a douche bag, but the team will make more money IF we wrap this thing up at home on Saturday.

If the Yankees we're willing to lose last night so they can win on their home turf, and make more money then they CLEARLY learned nothing in 2004. (up 3-0. lost 4 straight)

And what do you mean by "(Or the Dodgers...)" You do know they've been eliminated don't you?

fauxpaxfauxreal

The players give a billion shits about making the owners happy.  Thinking otherwise is not only wrong, but also slightly rediculous.  The yankee's owners gave them all huge salaries.  The yankee's owners put them all on a team that is about to win the World Series.  The Yankee's owners are the reason these guys are getting as much attention as they are right now.

To think they don't care, is rediculous.

Nope, didn't know the Phillies clenched it already.  Didn't really care that much about it.

Like I said earlier, this years series has been a SNOOZE-FEST.  Only slightly interesting if you're a Phillies or NY fan.

But I'm glad you guys are enjoying it.

I hope you enjoy the Yankees bragging about their dynasty.