News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

lossless storage... is it worth it?

Started by jedifunk, April 11, 2009, 11:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

The best way to archive your collection is to spread it to as many people as possible. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

rowjimmy

Solid state media is coming up fast.
I will soon be archiving all of my stuff to one form of flash drive or another.

jedifunk

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 11, 2009, 06:51:29 PM
Solid state media is coming up fast.
I will soon be archiving all of my stuff to one form of flash drive or another.
good point
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Caravan2001

I wish Phish (and JGB)  would go on LMA, then we would be chillin.....

Ri©h

Quote from: caravan2001 on April 11, 2009, 11:07:36 PM
I wish Phish (and JGB)  would go on LMA, then we would be chillin.....

Same here. Phish not being on the archive is total crap! JGB too.

ytowndan

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I think that Phish not being in the archive is a good thing.  It built our community up to what it is today, imho. 

jephrey

1.  I think yes, it's worth it.  It's almost like why not.  Simply the convenience of having it the way you like it is nice, drives are relatively cheap, and the ability to constantly make it available to everyone else are great reasons to spend that small bit of money.

2.  I don't subscribe to the "cloud".  I know many, me being one, that want's their own copy.  I don't care if someone says I can get it whenever I want.  When the machines take over, they don't have to give you shit.

3.  I love my seagates, but they're both internal.  After comparing the seagate and WD, I went with seagate twice and got 2 1TB drives.  They're both hummin.  I've owned 1WD I think, but I can't comment on the reliability.  I had a seagate crash after 4 years of not turning the comp off, but I think I crashed the heads during video editing with almost no space left.

Question, not trying to threadjack.   Is the Phish library (one lossless aud copy of every show available) around 2TB?  My calculations say it's about that but I could be off.  Once 2TB drives improve their reliability and come down into the $100 range (My guess is about 3 years), you could pretty much have all the phish shows you'd want with full backup for a couple hundos.  Not bad.  You could do it with a 1TB now if you stuck with 1994-2009.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

noodle

Quote from: ytowndan on April 11, 2009, 06:16:10 PM
The best way to archive your collection is to spread it to as many people as possible. 

Quote from: ytowndan on April 12, 2009, 01:15:14 AM
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I think that Phish not being in the archive is a good thing.  It built our community up to what it is today, imho. 

10-4skin

sunrisevt

I'm inclined to agree--it inculcated a strong ethic of sharing.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

WhatstheUse?

QFT  :clap:
Bring in the dude!

twatts

Considering how inexpensive media is today (DVDRs are cheap, and 1tb HDD can be had for $100), I don't understand why anybody would NOT keep their lossless.  In fact, why are you still messing with iTunes and lossy MP3, the point of which was to reduce the footprint on your HDD???  Now that space isn't an issue, why would you not go with lossless??? 

DL Foobar, configure like iTunes, buy a couple of 1tb HDD and save all your lossless.  If you go a step further and get a Popcorn Hour or SlimDevices, you can play your FLAC/SHNs via network from your HDD to your stereo. 

Basically, with all the tech today, I have no idea why anybody deals with MP3 or any other lossy file.  What's the point???  In this case, the saved space on your HDD is definitely NOT worth it.

YMMV,

Terry

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

ytowndan

Quote from: twatts on April 13, 2009, 03:33:07 PM
Considering how inexpensive media is today (DVDRs are cheap, and 1tb HDD can be had for $100), I don't understand why anybody would NOT keep their lossless.  In fact, why are you still messing with iTunes and lossy MP3, the point of which was to reduce the footprint on your HDD???  Now that space isn't an issue, why would you not go with lossless??? 

DL Foobar, configure like iTunes, buy a couple of 1tb HDD and save all your lossless.  If you go a step further and get a Popcorn Hour or SlimDevices, you can play your FLAC/SHNs via network from your HDD to your stereo. 

Basically, with all the tech today, I have no idea why anybody deals with MP3 or any other lossy file.  What's the point???  In this case, the saved space on your HDD is definitely NOT worth it.

YMMV,

Terry

I'll agree with almost everything you said, especially with getting Foobar.  After I tried that program one time, I immediately deleted winamp from my computer.  It supports lossless files (you need a plugin for .shn), plays gapless and has every other feature that winamp does, plus more (such as, rewind and fast forward old shn files that don't have seek tables).  And, you can make it look all nice and pretty like itunes with album artwork and whatnot. 

But, itunes and mp3s are a necessary evil.  Unless you want to burn CDs (who the hell still does that?!?!) you need them for your iPod or other portable media player. 

twatts

Quote from: ytowndan on April 13, 2009, 04:15:50 PM

But, itunes and mp3s are a necessary evil.  Unless you want to burn CDs (who the hell still does that?!?!) you need them for your iPod or other portable media player. 

Good points...  I'll agree that MP3 is very useful, perhaps a necessary evil...  I use them at work (100gb goes a long way on crappy PC speakers), but if I were allowed to have a real system, I'd trash them in a second... 

My wife uses an iPod, so I do maintain about 150gb of MP3s...  But I hardly ever use it personally, and in the car I listen to NPR 90% of the time.  For an occasional show, I'm the Last of the Mohicans - I still burn CDRs... 

YMMV,

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will

twatts

Quote from: twatts on April 13, 2009, 04:38:14 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on April 13, 2009, 04:15:50 PM

Good points...  I'll agree that MP3 is very useful, perhaps a necessary evil...  I use them at work (100gb goes a long way on crappy PC speakers), but if I were allowed to have a real system, I'd trash them in a second... 

My wife uses an iPod, so I do maintain about 150gb of MP3s...  But I hardly ever use it personally, and in the car I listen to NPR 90% of the time.  For an occasional show, I'm the Last of the Mohicans - I still burn CDRs... 

YMMV,

Terry

BTW, all this is moot, if you RockBox your iPod - then you can use FLAC...  Of course there isn't much storage space...  Maybe invest in an older 40gb iPod (like me) and you can hold a decent amount of FLACs???

Terry

----------------------

I want super-human will

WhatstheUse?

I love legless storage.

oh wait... oops, wrong thread....
Bring in the dude!