News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Yes I have a Mac, where to go from here...

Started by whatapiper, May 23, 2009, 01:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zimbra

I'm having trouble compressing and decompressing files on my mac.  What program are you using currently?  I'm running Mac OSX 10.5.8
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Buffalo Budd

My biggest problem so far with the Mac is trying to play downloaded vids.  MP4 and AVI files won't seem to play in quicktime, not sure what I should be using.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

VDB

Quote from: zimbra on January 03, 2011, 02:54:30 AM
I'm having trouble compressing and decompressing files on my mac.  What program are you using currently?  I'm running Mac OSX 10.5.8

I use Archive Utility (I believe this is a system utility) for .zip and Stuffit Expander for .rar. I've not had any problems.

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on January 03, 2011, 11:11:48 AM
My biggest problem so far with the Mac is trying to play downloaded vids.  MP4 and AVI files won't seem to play in quicktime, not sure what I should be using.

VLC
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

\

try VLC.

I had a problem with avi files also. I think I d/l a plug-in for QT. I'll check when I get home.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

zimbra

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on January 03, 2011, 11:48:22 AM

I use Archive Utility (I believe this is a system utility) for .zip and Stuffit Expander for .rar. I've not had any problems.

I should have specified but I'm talking audio files. Like .flac, apple lossless, wmv, mp3,....
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: zimbra on January 03, 2011, 06:49:09 PM

I should have specified but I'm talking audio files. Like .flac, apple lossless, wmv, mp3,....

I d/l'd an app called Unarchiver. Not sure if this is doing it or the app that came on the machine, but I have not problem (OS 10.6.5)
Quote from: slslbs on January 03, 2011, 01:41:06 PM
\

try VLC.

I had a problem with avi files also. I think I d/l a plug-in for QT. I'll check when I get home.
I embedded some vids (.avi I think) that were derived from an app at work onto slides in keynote and had a problem running. I d/l  ffmpegx and they ran.

either way, I would get VLC
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

zimbra

Quote from: slslbs on January 03, 2011, 08:51:06 PM
Quote from: zimbra on January 03, 2011, 06:49:09 PM

I d/l'd an app called Unarchiver. Not sure if this is doing it or the app that came on the machine, but I have not problem (OS 10.6.5)

I'm downloading now, thanks.  I'll let you know if it works out for me.
- Trey Anastasio

zimbra

No luck, can't decode .flac to apple lossless
- Trey Anastasio

mattstick

Quote from: zimbra on January 03, 2011, 09:06:28 PM

You've been getting some bad advice. The program you want is XLD.

sls.stormyrider

sorry - I misunderstood.
I thought you meant unzipping files as opposed to decoding.

mattstick is right, XLD

zimbra

Quote from: mattstick on January 03, 2011, 10:00:25 PM
Quote from: zimbra on January 03, 2011, 09:06:28 PM

You've been getting some bad advice. The program you want is XLD.

Thanks, I started surfing Mac forums and found the same answer: XLD.

- Trey Anastasio

sls.stormyrider

I don't remember if XLD decodes shn. If not, you need cog (it will play shn directly, which VLC won't).
personally, I have XACT, XLD, cog, and VLC. It might be redundant but I use each for a specific task, so I don't need to go and change preferences, etc when I want to do something - just add files, and start.

here's a post from earlier this thread, which I found useful:
Quote from: hesthemamba on March 19, 2010, 02:05:34 pm

A collection of the best of the best mac apps. All open source - hence the domain name.

http://www.opensourcemac.org/

It has most of the things mentioned in the thread +more!!
    there goes my afternoon.... :banana:

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

zimbra

- Trey Anastasio

StCarl

re: XLD and .shn files - in my experience, it decodes some shnz and some shnz it does not.  I think the website said Shorten support was 'experimental'.  But that's what I use all the time now - I think I've used xACT only once or twice in the last year and that was why.

Nobody uses MacAmp Lite X for their lossless player anymore?   
http://www.arcticlounge.com/maltx/

Quote from: McGrupp on January 25, 2011, 02:39:37 PM
your overall taste in phish shows perplexes me.