News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Yes I have a Mac, where to go from here...

Started by whatapiper, May 23, 2009, 01:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zimbra

Does anybody use a program that's similar to Quick Books?  I'm looking for a program to help manage some finances and keep a running record of what/where/how I'm spending.  Quick Books comes in at like $200 though, kind of a turnoff. 

"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

whatapiper

Quote from: zimbra on January 15, 2013, 04:56:03 PM
Does anybody use a program that's similar to Quick Books?  I'm looking for a program to help manage some finances and keep a running record of what/where/how I'm spending.  Quick Books comes in at like $200 though, kind of a turnoff.

Dude, best thing ever is YNAB, You Need A Budget, love it!!!  They have an app so you can update on the go then sync once home via wifi, you can also sync it through iCloud using Dropbox if you get the latest release. 
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

whatapiper

Quote from: Hicks on January 15, 2013, 01:43:36 PM
Quote from: whatapiper on January 10, 2013, 03:05:44 AM
Any suggestions for connecting to a receiver? My receiver is probably 20 years old to keep in mind...

You know you can use that Zona send unit to connect to your receiver, you just need a corresponding receive unit connected to any line level input.

Hit me up if you want one, probably around $50.

Sounds good, think its worth the extra $50 to get the added Apple TV features?
beginning to end
we belong

Hicks

Quote from: whatapiper on January 15, 2013, 05:36:41 PM
Quote from: Hicks on January 15, 2013, 01:43:36 PM
Quote from: whatapiper on January 10, 2013, 03:05:44 AM
Any suggestions for connecting to a receiver? My receiver is probably 20 years old to keep in mind...

You know you can use that Zona send unit to connect to your receiver, you just need a corresponding receive unit connected to any line level input.

Hit me up if you want one, probably around $50.

Sounds good, think its worth the extra $50 to get the added Apple TV features?

If you need a video streaming device, yes.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

zimbra

Quote from: whatapiper on January 15, 2013, 05:34:18 PM

Dude, best thing ever is YNAB, You Need A Budget, love it!!!  They have an app so you can update on the go then sync once home via wifi, you can also sync it through iCloud using Dropbox if you get the latest release.

Is there a way to categorize the expense as you record it? IE, "food" "booze" "gas" ?
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Gundo

I can help you with all these questions.

what?
alcohol, cocaine, penis pump
where?
bar, gas station, Appalachian hillbilly den
how?
mostly drugged induced impulse buy

zimbra

Quote from: EdBanky on January 15, 2013, 06:03:45 PM

what?
where?
how?

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

- Trey Anastasio

kellerb

what?
where?
how?

Zimbra, check out mint.com.  It's a website that I believe does everything you're looking for, and it's free.  Pretty much like Ed just did, but it also makes pie graphs of the answers.

zimbra

Quote from: kellerb on January 15, 2013, 06:23:29 PM

what?
where?
how?

Zimbra, check out mint.com.  It's a website that I believe does everything you're looking for, and it's free.  Pretty much like Ed just did, but it also makes pie graphs of the answers.

mint.com looks pretty sweet.  I wonder if there's a way to track on your phone as well.  I think if I could record outflows immediately after they happened (ie. leaving a restaurant/bar) it would be more beneficial to me.  Simply cause I would keep it up to date.
- Trey Anastasio

kellerb

Quote from: zimbra on January 15, 2013, 06:32:37 PM
Quote from: kellerb on January 15, 2013, 06:23:29 PM

what?
where?
how?

mint.com looks pretty sweet.  I wonder if there's a way to track on your phone as well.  I think if I could record outflows immediately after they happened (ie. leaving a restaurant/bar) it would be more beneficial to me.  Simply cause I would keep it up to date.

I know there's an android app, I assume there's an iphone one too.  By the way, you can save your bank/cc account info so Mint automatically imports purchases/deposits, etc.

I actually don't use the site currently, but I tried it in the past and it seemed like what you were looking for.

antelope19

So we just joined the club. Looking forward to really seeing what it's all about. The MacBook Pro we just got will be my wife's primarily, but I look forward to the Mac experience!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

zimbra

Didn't know where to really post this but since I'm on a Mac I figured here wasn't bad. 

Does anybody use Google Drive?  I've been trying it out lately to transfer some files and email large attachments. 

Quote from: antelope19 on January 25, 2013, 12:02:52 PM
So we just joined the club. Looking forward to really seeing what it's all about. The MacBook Pro we just got will be my wife's primarily, but I look forward to the Mac experience!

Congrats!
- Trey Anastasio

whatapiper

Quote from: antelope19 on January 25, 2013, 12:02:52 PM

There is no going back now! Congrats.
beginning to end
we belong

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: zimbra on January 30, 2013, 07:32:36 PM
Didn't know where to really post this but since I'm on a Mac I figured here wasn't bad. 

Does anybody use Google Drive?  I've been trying it out lately to transfer some files and email large attachments. 

Congrats!

yes. I like it better than DB and Sugarsync (for now, anyway)
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

zimbra

Quote from: slslbs on January 30, 2013, 08:06:05 PM
Quote from: zimbra on January 30, 2013, 07:32:36 PM

Congrats!

yes. I like it better than DB and Sugarsync (for now, anyway)

I've only used it a handful of times but no complaints here.   
- Trey Anastasio