News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Yes I have a Mac, where to go from here...

Started by whatapiper, May 23, 2009, 01:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Quote from: slslbs on January 31, 2016, 09:01:08 AM
pardon my ignorance - you installed a new HD into an old MBP?

What version MBP was it?
How much did it set you back?
Were you able to do it yourself?

do the new versions of MBP have faster / better processors?

Yeah, I put a solid-state drive (SSD) into my mid-2012 MBP. I went with a 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, which is neither the cheapest nor priciest model but gets good marks. It was around $180 after tax.

I've replaced hard drives many times; it's very easy provided you have the right mini screwdrivers. I understand it's a little trickier on the newer retina MBPs that come with SSDs already, but not too much so.

As for processing, mine actually has the same configuration as the new MBPs for sale. Seems like the advancements lately have been in the display, standard SSD storage, maybe graphics cards, not sure what else.
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

thanks

I have a 2010. It's still fine, just slowed a little with age. Just thinking ahead to the next step
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

zimbra

Recently backed up my MacBook Pro from 2009 because it was beginning to get seriously laggy and non-responsive.  While doing this I cleaned off many files I did not need, moved all movies and other large files solely on my external HD & organized all my folders.  Machine is running great now and managed to scrape up an extra 100Gb of data. 

I'm still ready for it to sh*t the bed soon though.  I'm thinking of the new MacBook Air's since I store/stream a majority of my music off the cloud & Spotify now.  It will really be great to travel and bike with around town. 

Does anybody have a good Apple malware/virus scan software? Preferably a free version? Since I'm entertaining the idea of switching companies I have been doing more private and secure things on my Mac versus my work computer.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mattstick

I had a nasty little Browser-based piece of malware, took me a couple hours to find something effective to remove it.

Malwarebytes was effective.

sls.stormyrider

"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

emay

Anyone familiar with the hardware of macbook pros?

my friend is giving me their old 2007 macbook pro because the charger port is busted and they cant get a charger in it anymore so it doesnt turn on. I want to harvest the motherboard from the 2007 macbook pro for my 2008 macbook pro that broke two years ago because the video card fried which can only be replaced by replacing the whole motherboard since its soldered onto the motherboard.

I looked it up and the video cards are the same in both models but not quiet sure about the rest of the parts or if the 2007 motherboard will work in the 2008 or if its the same size etc

VDB

Have you checked out ifixit.com for guides? And are you getting the 2007 for free?
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on May 26, 2016, 03:33:02 PM
Anyone familiar with the hardware of macbook pros?

my friend is giving me their old 2007 macbook pro because the charger port is busted and they cant get a charger in it anymore so it doesnt turn on. I want to harvest the motherboard from the 2007 macbook pro for my 2008 macbook pro that broke two years ago because the video card fried which can only be replaced by replacing the whole motherboard since its soldered onto the motherboard.

I looked it up and the video cards are the same in both models but not quiet sure about the rest of the parts or if the 2007 motherboard will work in the 2008 or if its the same size etc

You may be looking at integrated components that will not be interchangeable.

emay

Quote from: VDB on May 27, 2016, 10:39:54 AM
Have you checked out ifixit.com for guides? And are you getting the 2007 for free?

Yeah from the pics the boards look the same....but still not positive that alll parts of the motherboard are interchangeable as RJ stated.

emay

And now the girl is asking for 100 bucks for her damaged macbook.....prob not worth it but would be a fun project to open up her 2007 and see if it worked by swamping them since mine is pretty much useless at the moment too.

VDB

Have I mentioned how much I hate the Mac App Store? Of course you have to log in with an Apple ID to get anything, and half the time I do I get an "Unknown Error" or some nonsense. Yet the fact that it exists means more and more developers route you there to install a simple piece of software, which in turn puts you at the mercy of Apple's buggy and bloated interface. Just give me a damn DMG download like the good old days.
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

I have a 2010 MBP and have used up all the memory. I'm running Mavericks.  I'm picking up my new MBP with 1 TB, SSHD tomorrow. I have a backup of my current MBP on a HD with carbon copy cloner.
Any advice on the the best way to transfer data?
Should I upgrade my old MBP to El Capitan 1st?

mattstick

I would do a Time Machine backup and restore.

VDB

I second that; transfers via Time Machine are painless. You don't need the newest OS on the donor computer either, so I'd not bother with El Cap there.

But, have you considered just putting a new SSD in the old computer? You'll see a nice performance boost for under $300. Unless you just want the new comp anyway.
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

Thanks. I have an extra HD so I can do a TM backup. I thought about a new HD but for some reason was advised against it. I already ordered and paid for the new one, so...