News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/16 - Fox Theatre - St. Louis, MO - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Rift, June 17, 2009, 01:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

That setlist looks pretty sick to me.  I can't wait to hear how it sounds.
McGrupp in the encore  :-o I forget who called it in their wish list but hopefully they were at the show.
:phish:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Itsnotanexperience

Quote from: ITsnot on June 17, 2009, 08:52:45 AM
Let me tell u this - we were on that balcony and it was bouncin' and somehow, the zero inspired us all to make the balcony bounce like that....surreal.

I truly loved the show and think that trey was incredible.   There were some peaks like haven't heard since I don't remeber when.   I haven't danced like that in so long at a phish show.

The halleys jam sounded like parts 2 and 3 to the 6/30/00 Halley's jam.  Best jam out of Halley's since 11/97 if u ask me.

This weekend should unbelievable.   

Also - hardest Mike's I've heard in ages.....lived it.

Justbwish they'd have skipped slave, weeps, and TTE (thought peeps were being harsh on this track but right now it does NOT translate live at all - I was wrong....the ending doesn't save it at all and trey flubbed it too which didn't help).

CK5's light rig was small the fox, but the LEDs on the stage were amazing.

I'm anxious to hear the lp boards.

okelnard

Thanks to those of you who went, yeah the live setlist thread tends to be armchair quarterbacking through a weak stream (the warm piss misses your ears and just gets all over your leg).
I'm guilty of it too, but I have noticed that when I get a nice DL (LP or aud) the shows sounds better than I thought...

What do you all feel about the flow of energy as far as song choice/placement goes?  I've been wrestling with this one as it seems that they will break what seems to have the potential to blow the doors off the sucka and head into "meh" territory...  Is it enough to have been there live that your inner critic gets shut down by your inner fanboy?  (I have always tried to work that way when I went to a show:  just share in the groove and deal with reality later).

So, I am interested in getting a nice clean listen to this one... so on "paper" my thoughts are:

Set1: KDF:  ok probably not reaching for space this time, but a rocker.  ocelot:  superhappyfuntime song.  I like B&R (placement here is wha?)
Sample (oh a new one?  :wink: sorry, I remember when it came out and many questioned its' tour worthiness) Rift:  now we're talkin! Ya Mar:  okay Leo and Mike, cool.  Reba, always welcome.  Train Song: sure, more Leo.  Horn:  a slow one, but makes me smile.  Possum>Slave:  set ending jam, I'm looking in your direction.

Set 2:  Halley's>Jim  nice one two punch should be smile inducing for one and all.  Frankie Says:  I like this song well enough, but now?  we're just getting started!  TTE:  jury's still out on this one for me, I need to hear it again:  seems like a lot of stuff going on and not much happening.  Sleep:  again, now?  but, ok.  Mike's>h2>paug:  This trio will always have a bitch of a time living up to its' hype...
Boogie On Robot Woman:  Always has potential for a serious funkdown.  Zero:  just dont care much for it; I hear it rocked hard though, that's good.  

Encore: SSB it would be fun to hear, but it's not a party song, really.  McGrupp:  for an encore!?!  nice!  And you were all thinking Suzy again... WMGGW:  beatles classic, did Trey make his guitar weep or whammy?

So, on paper it's up and down all around:  typical Phish show really.  Hopefully I can get a good listen and amend these thoughts...  I am sure if I was there, I would have thoroughly enjoyed myself though.
"What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?" - Taggart

"We liked number 217."  - Trey

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit."  - Robert Anton Wilson

blatboom

yeah the hate was strong with the Paug last night   :-D

I admit I got swept up in it when I heard the opening notes of Zero.  I have no problem with these repeats, but Zero was my arch-nemesis when I started going to shows and now it's rearing it's ugly head again.

mattstick

But I'm convinced the whole day long!
That all I've learned is always wrong!

blatboom

Quote from: mattstick on June 17, 2009, 09:18:20 AM

5 set closers in my first 9 shows man.  5 in my first 9.

mattstick

I've seen over 50% of the Rock & Rolls that have been played, you don't se me complaining!   :-D

blatboom

Quote from: mattstick on June 17, 2009, 09:27:05 AM

I've seen over 50% of the Rock & Rolls that have been played, you don't se me complaining!   :-D

that song kicks ass!  (I think I've seen 4 second set openers and loved every one)

antelope19

Quote from: blatboom on June 17, 2009, 09:22:07 AM

5 set closers in my first 9 shows man.  5 in my first 9.

Of all the songs I've seen at shows in the past, Character Zero is tied with Chalkdust for "Most times seen".  A whopping 15 times each.  

That said, neither fails to get me rocking. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

blatboom

Quote from: antelope19 on June 17, 2009, 10:06:21 AM
Quote from: blatboom on June 17, 2009, 09:22:07 AM

5 set closers in my first 9 shows man.  5 in my first 9.

Of all the songs I've seen at shows in the past, Character Zero is tied with Chalkdust for "Most times seen".  A whopping 15 times each.  

That said, neither fails to get me rocking. 

I think that's almost the exact same for me.  and I've said before, I actually love it when Zero shows up mid-set (see: Camden)

mattstick

Just checked, 16/28 Rock & Rolls - 57%

Chalk Dust Torture - 30 (28%)
Down With Disease - 29 (27%)
Limb By Limb - 29 (27%)
Character Zero - 27 (25%)
Piper - 27 (25%)
David Bowie - 26 (24%)
Harry Hood - 26 (24%)
Run Like an Antelope - 26 (24%)
Weekapaug Groove - 26 (24%)
Wilson - 26 (24%)
Mike's Song - 25 (23%)
You Enjoy Myself - 25 (23%)
Also Sprach Zarathustra - 24 (22%)
Ghost - 24 (22%)
Wolfman's Brother - 24 (22%)
Possum - 23 (21%)

Bobafett

i generally dislike zero, but at the kville show, i thought it went in a different direction than PH2.0 zeros...kinda dark and robotized foot rock.  I was hatin on the show last night, but the flow of Phish sets is prolly what i like most about seeing them live...just keep clamping the pressure down until the roof blows off, and they seem to be missing this in almost every set this year....yaya, growing pains and gettin the groove back will come in time, but i am selfish. :roll:

oh yeah, this halleys rocked ass, even through the robo-rustd-poop stream...
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

PIE-GUY

I know it's over-played this tour, but I have always like Zero. It's not like it's wasted space! It rocks.

I couldn't be on the thread last night with all that negativity. I can't take it. It drives me nuts.

My expectations for the Fox show were that it would read on paper like an average show but would be really special inside, much like that Warfield show back in the late 90's.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

WhatstheUse?

Haven't listened yet, but this was not the setlist I was expecting.

Besides the Halleys, Boogie On, and McGrupp...not much stuck out for me 

I can't believe they played TTE and Character Zero agggaaiinn!

I look forward to checking this show out... from the sounds of it, the playing was pretty good, I can't wait to hear the Halleys!!!!
Bring in the dude!

sunrisevt

Zero does rock; I get tired of it, but it rocks. I often skip it on record. But I usually end up enjoying it live.

And I gotta say, I saw Maze in 7 of 10 shows in one year, and it never occurred to me to complain.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.