News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/16 - Fox Theatre - St. Louis, MO - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Rift, June 17, 2009, 01:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: mattstick on June 17, 2009, 10:16:28 AM

Just checked, 16/28 Rock & Rolls - 57%

Chalk Dust Torture - 30 (28%)
Down With Disease - 29 (27%)
Limb By Limb - 29 (27%)
Character Zero - 27 (25%)
Piper - 27 (25%)
David Bowie - 26 (24%)
Harry Hood - 26 (24%)
Run Like an Antelope - 26 (24%)
Weekapaug Groove - 26 (24%)
Wilson - 26 (24%)
Mike's Song - 25 (23%)
You Enjoy Myself - 25 (23%)
Also Sprach Zarathustra - 24 (22%)
Ghost - 24 (22%)
Wolfman's Brother - 24 (22%)
Possum - 23 (21%)

It's funny - there are very few songs I roll my eyes at - two are the top of my list of most times seen:

Total Times Played

Sample in a Jar - 29 (33%)
Sparkle - 29 (33%)
You Enjoy Myself - 29 (33%)
Chalk Dust Torture - 28 (32%)
Run Like an Antelope - 28 (32%)
Stash - 28 (32%)
David Bowie - 27 (31%)
Maze - 27 (31%)
Cavern - 26 (29%)
Split Open and Melt - 25 (28%)
It's Ice - 24 (27%)
Possum - 24 (27%)
Divided Sky - 23 (26%)
Harry Hood - 23 (26%)
Mike's Song - 23 (26%)
Poor Heart - 22 (25%)
Runaway Jim - 22 (25%)
Weekapaug Groove - 22 (25%)
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Hicks

Maze has solos from both Page and Trey w/ the potential for gonzo improv. and therefore pwns the f out of zer0.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mattstick

rowjimmy

Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 17, 2009, 12:10:07 PM

Limb By Limb - 29 (27%)
Piper - 27 (25%)
David Bowie - 26 (24%)
Harry Hood - 26 (24%)
Wilson - 26 (24%)
Mike's Song - 25 (23%)
Ghost - 24 (22%)
Possum - 23 (21%)

It's funny - there are very few songs I roll my eyes at - two are the top of my list of most times seen:

Total Times Played

Sparkle - 29 (33%)
Stash - 28 (32%)
David Bowie - 27 (31%)
Maze - 27 (31%)
Cavern - 26 (29%)
It's Ice - 24 (27%)
Possum - 24 (27%)
Divided Sky - 23 (26%)
Harry Hood - 23 (26%)
Mike's Song - 23 (26%)
Poor Heart - 22 (25%)
Runaway Jim - 22 (25%)

Weird.

My top 5 are:
Chalkdust
Gin
Hood
Zero
Guyute

Caravan2001

Phish
2009-06-16
Fox Theater, St. Louis, MO

Set 1:
Kill Devil Falls, Ocelot, Brian & Robert, Sample, Rift, Ya Mar, Reba, Train Song, Horn, Possum > Slave To The Traffic Light

Set 2:
Halley's Comet > Runaway Jim, Frankie Says, Time Turns Elastic, Sleep, Mike's Song > I am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Boogie On Reggae Woman, Character Zero

Encore:
The Star Spangled Banner*, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, While My Guitar Gently Weeps

*-a cappella

Sitting here in the airport...pretty burnt, but happy.  First off, the venue was the nicest indoor venue I have ever been in, bar none.  Just insane detail all over the place.  The one-two punch new song opener was ripping and Trey pwned it hard.  Cannot wait to hear it.  Brian and Robert was amazing too, and I was staring at the walls for sure.  Sample was ok, don't really remember, but Rift and Yamar were jamming- can't wait to hear those either.  Reba was sick, the jam was off the hook, really, really sick.  Train Song and Horn were cool, but the Possum was a set highlight.  They freakin drilled it!!!  Some people were sweating the Slave, but it sounded good to me, I will have to hear it again to comment on it.  The Halley's opener was the bomb, and the jam was great, but fell apart for the last 1 or 2 minutes, but the Jim picked it back up.  Good Jim.  Frankie Sez was cool.  TTE was a buzzkill for the most part.  It sucked some energy out, and they didn't play it perfectly, but I was happy to see it one time. Sleep was AWESOME!  A very pretty version.  The rest of the set was NASTY.  The Mike's Groove killed it with the Mike's just getting straight dirty. Mike was funking it up hard for the Boogie On and that was fun.  Now I don't like Character Zero, but they brought the house down with this version.  As soon as the opening lick was over, the whole balcony just started moving up and down.  A LOT.  Great feeling, and one of the best versions of Zero I have ever seen.  SSB was sung well, but an odd choice.  They did a good job of McGrupp, and it had some really nice sounding passages.  They kind of butchered WMGGW, they vocals were rough, but they made up for it at the end with some major Trey shreddage....All in all, an amazing show.  There were some warts and TTE was pretty meh, but the hot parts of this show are white hot!  I had an awesome time and my clothes were soaked to the bone after the show.  It was killer.  Hung out with PlayItLeo and J.Phishman before and after, those guys hae some pix....Can't wait to get home and hear it.  The setlist looks questionable (I saw the hating going on in the other thread), but this show was a winner.....

blatboom

Quote from: caravan2001 on June 17, 2009, 12:22:43 PM
Phish
2009-06-16
Fox Theater, St. Louis, MO

Set 1:
Kill Devil Falls, Ocelot, Brian & Robert, Sample, Rift, Ya Mar, Reba, Train Song, Horn, Possum > Slave To The Traffic Light

Set 2:
Halley's Comet > Runaway Jim, Frankie Says, Time Turns Elastic, Sleep, Mike's Song > I am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Boogie On Reggae Woman, Character Zero

Encore:
The Star Spangled Banner*, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, While My Guitar Gently Weeps

*-a cappella

Sitting here in the airport...pretty burnt, but happy.  First off, the venue was the nicest indoor venue I have ever been in, bar none.  Just insane detail all over the place.  The one-two punch new song opener was ripping and Trey pwned it hard.  Cannot wait to hear it.  Brian and Robert was amazing too, and I was staring at the walls for sure.  Sample was ok, don't really remember, but Rift and Yamar were jamming- can't wait to hear those either.  Reba was sick, the jam was off the hook, really, really sick.  Train Song and Horn were cool, but the Possum was a set highlight.  They freakin drilled it!!!  Some people were sweating the Slave, but it sounded good to me, I will have to hear it again to comment on it.  The Halley's opener was the bomb, and the jam was great, but fell apart for the last 1 or 2 minutes, but the Jim picked it back up.  Good Jim.  Frankie Sez was cool.  TTE was a buzzkill for the most part.  It sucked some energy out, and they didn't play it perfectly, but I was happy to see it one time. Sleep was AWESOME!  A very pretty version.  The rest of the set was NASTY.  The Mike's Groove killed it with the Mike's just getting straight dirty. Mike was funking it up hard for the Boogie On and that was fun.  Now I don't like Character Zero, but they brought the house down with this version.  As soon as the opening lick was over, the whole balcony just started moving up and down.  A LOT.  Great feeling, and one of the best versions of Zero I have ever seen.  SSB was sung well, but an odd choice.  They did a good job of McGrupp, and it had some really nice sounding passages.  They kind of butchered WMGGW, they vocals were rough, but they made up for it at the end with some major Trey shreddage....All in all, an amazing show.  There were some warts and TTE was pretty meh, but the hot parts of this show are white hot!  I had an awesome time and my clothes were soaked to the bone after the show.  It was killer.  Hung out with PlayItLeo and J.Phishman before and after, those guys hae some pix....Can't wait to get home and hear it.  The setlist looks questionable (I saw the hating going on in the other thread), but this show was a winner.....

Confirmed!!  glad you had a good time man!  I was worried watching the setlist unfold but that's why you don't judge shows based on setlists.

I'm almost finished with the second set (haven't listened to the first) and I have to agree with your assessments.  Zero starting now...

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 17, 2009, 12:03:33 PM
I know it's over-played this tour, but I have always like Zero. It's not like it's wasted space! It rocks.

I couldn't be on the thread last night with all that negativity. I can't take it. It drives me nuts.

I couldn't agree more.  Character Zero was one of my first fav Phish tunes since Billy Breathes was the 1st album I picked up.
And I can't handle the bad vibes either.  I'd rather listen to it for myself than get somebody's negative opinion before hearing it myself.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Blaise

If I zero at one of the next few shows near the end of the set I'm going to beat the bathroom rush.

I'm glad the reviews are better then the opinions in the setlist thread as well

Bobafett

despite any negative talk i may have spewed last night, it was never a question of enjoyment on those in attendance...i saw SCI there once and i was just as impressed with the venue as the music, and that was shitty music...glad you have a blast Caravan...now for the first real listen.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Itsnotanexperience

High energy.....save for a choppy, sloppy, slave/tte, the show had an august93 flow to it....great energy, enthusiastic and sensitive execution, and tight, sick jams.....could have rocked mike's and boogie on longer (check out page at the end of boogie on), but the mad climax of energy during zero (we r all lucky that 70 year old balcony didn't snap off) pretty much proved to me that they killed.   Trey has balls in his playing again and the whole show felt like we were watching them as a family again.

Bring on alpine.

Itsnotanexperience

Final thought:

Maybe it was the fox, but the 16-25yr old noobs were a hell of a lot of fun.   I hated the noon scene in 2004, but these noobs I enjoyed.

rowjimmy

KDF - Rocks. Yeah it's new, so what? It rocks.

Ocelot - This tune is good times. Very dance-able.

B&R - Seems early for a slow tune but I like this one and at under 4 minutes it's not even enough time to take a leak but just enough time to sit and roll a number so... cool.

Sample - more rock. Ok, then.

Rift - ! Trey had trouble getting started in his solo in the middle there. But then he gets rolling and nearly stays on top if it.

Ya Mar - Sweet. Fishman has a little solo in there too.

Reba - Nice version. No whistling, though. Instead they went straight into

Train Song - I like this tune.

Horn - Sweet.

Possum - This version did no seem to suck at all.

Slave - Botch. Brutal.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 17, 2009, 12:22:30 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 17, 2009, 12:10:07 PM

Limb By Limb - 29 (27%)
Piper - 27 (25%)
David Bowie - 26 (24%)
Harry Hood - 26 (24%)
Wilson - 26 (24%)
Mike's Song - 25 (23%)
Ghost - 24 (22%)
Possum - 23 (21%)

Total Times Played

Sparkle - 29 (33%)
Stash - 28 (32%)
David Bowie - 27 (31%)
Maze - 27 (31%)
Cavern - 26 (29%)
It's Ice - 24 (27%)
Possum - 24 (27%)
Divided Sky - 23 (26%)
Harry Hood - 23 (26%)
Mike's Song - 23 (26%)
Poor Heart - 22 (25%)
Runaway Jim - 22 (25%)

Weird.

My top 5 are:
Chalkdust
Gin
Hood
Zero
Guyute

I think it all comes down to this set of stats:

Shows by year

* 1992- 2
    * 1993- 10
    * 1994- 17
    * 1995- 27
    * 1996- 5
    * 1997- 3
    * 1998- 3
    * 1999- 4
    * 2000- 2
    * 2001- 0
    * 2002- 0
    * 2003- 4
    * 2004- 3
    * 2009- 7

There is no way Zero could possible be high in my stats given how few shows I have seen since it's debut.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

redrum

fwiw, when i said this last night,

Quotewow, i just got home.

looks like tonights show was a total bummer.

i feel bad for everyone that had to suffer thru it.

i was actually being sarcastic.
i thought it looked pretty decent on paper.\
no hate from me..
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

blatboom

well I've been waiting as long as I could to form an opinion but I'm pretty sure I don't like Ocelot  :|

cool ass cat, though.