News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/18 - Star Lake - Burgettstown, PA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Rift, June 19, 2009, 12:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

I'm really sorry I missed you guys, RR and MB.  Apparently I just missed you when I rolled up to goodabouthoods car.   :|

Now it's time to wade through 300+ pictures. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

redrum

we were at his car?  :?

i think i recall him saying that he was also in lot K (which was special)
but i don't think we were ever at his car.

it's all good tho, we'll catch up in august, no?

either way, i'm about to get some of my pics up now too..
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

whyweigh5.0

Star Lake was a face melter for sure.  I think it's the best show of the tour so far, and Im not just being biased because its hometown for me.  The show was sick

that piper took me out far.  Deep depths of out-there-ville.  Doom territory.  Red planet
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

gah

no, no, you guys were walking down by that lot when i first saw you all, and then later when i saw you i was with allen, heading back to the car. but, throughout the afternoon, guyforget, antelope, wtu, blaise, and whyweigh were at the car at some points. Special K, ha ha ha! I forgot about that.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

susep

18June2009 - Burgettstown, PA

Nakamichi CM-1000/CP-101 cards (Sank p48) >
        Oade Concert Mod PMD-661 (-18db atten.) @ 24bit/48k

I.

Golgi - nice pic to open, great way to get the crowd energized out of the gate, "I saw you..." I'm sure their financial box needed a lift.

Chalk Dust - 4th or 5th this tour?  Seems to be in high rotation this tour.  Will they bust an "x"?  Mike all over it early between verses, Fish metronomic ride, Trey laying back lightly w/ a more noticeable Page, I'm fairly impressed of the balance w/ this aud recording, again nothing ground breaking but definitely a high energy reading, Trey shoots high in the final 2-3 minutes.  Good into outro riff, solid version.

Bouncing - kind of a nostalgic choice, would have preffered something different but this has been the theme of this tour.

Wolfman's - like the Dust in frequent rotation, again "x"?  I like the heavy Clav Page kicks out in the beginning of the jam, nice funk groove here, fairly linear but high energy, jams like this are like reproduction, eventually something will spawn, like Dust nice transition back into the theme.

Divided Sky - I've been enjoying this number more as of this year, not that I didn't enjoy it before but now I actually listen to it as opposed to skipping unlesss it was the 17Feb.97 version, great guitar song, Trey's changes are preety sweet, playing air guitar while listening:) I love the psychadelic/aquatic vibe of this piece, this part is like seeing a school of dolphins swimming fast off the side of a boat, the chill audience piece is certainly very unique and unlike most in western music, impressive composition for at the time "young musician", rebuild w/ Trey sustain is where its at also, its cool when that part breaks off, Trey can improvise slightly around that theme, this time around execution preety much flawless, nice kicking near then Fish esp., solid version.

Heavy Things - nice energy begin almost speeded but like the bouncing, not ideal, hey what the heck it is the first set.

Walk Away - interesting in that not a segue but stand alone.  I've always been meh of this tune but congrats to the lovers.

Wilson - another throw away for me.

Tube - a-yuh!  again the mix on this recording is preety sweet, everyone can be heard equally, definitely recommend this one for sure, nice clav page, nice beginning, I wish Trey would uitilize his wha more for rythym guitar esp. in these jams, preety good effort overall, 3:48  jam shift, Page comping for Trey, very '00 sounding but decent, Mike trying to add dynamic w/ his bass tone, jam beginning to take off near 5:15, nice > back into theme.  Good version, better then Camden imo.

Alaska - not a big fan of Trey's Jed.

Bowie - tight beginning, again almost speeded, not very long to get into jam, I like when Trey comps the Bowie rythym before letting fly, bouncy Mike underneath, nice listening response from Trey/Page, similar to my comment in Wolfman's, future spawning ground work being laid here, nice rippage but Trey, almost Chalk Dust in feel, nice Hendrixy flourishes by Trey near the end, like everything in this set, nice > into outro.

II.

DwD - the way the jam drops out from the outro riff is sweet, nice walk ups by Mike, Trey coloring nicely, Mike sounding a lot like Phil right now, Fish a little low in the mix, straight ahead DwD jamming > Trey getting trippy around 6:36, Page responds w/ a drop of his own, reconvelasce back into previous theme, Page pushing a cool effect near 8:12, continuing to bring the effect, goes back to the ivories, Mike reallying spinging out the bottom(great stuff), near 9:30 jam kind of segues into Page's previous injections, Trey mellows in this neat improvisation, he continues to not let the space take over keeping Fish active more noticeable then in the beginning, nice Phish music here, things continue to get trippier near 12:00 onward, it is an interesting jam to hear w Trey not using his loops and boomerang effects pedal, great how this tune continues to be a consistent jam vehicle, into

Free - 26June95 anyone? big Free fan here, Mike funking out nicely, nice variations then dropping it low, Trey comes in w/ his classic June '09 lead style, solid effort by all.

Guyute - nice come down out of free, not in energy but in flow, solid.

Piper - great energy out of the jam, similar energy and vibe as DwD jam which is to say good, this is a good jedi vehicle for Trey it gives him and his mates a preety open spectrum to color, fairly straight ahead jamming again, nothing mind blowing but consistently good, Trey beginning to seek variation near 7:00, jam begins to synopocate into a DwD like breakdown, good stuff here, 8:15 onward nice group jamming, no funking/comping but still group listening, somewhat uneventful leads by Trey but interesting in the sense he's still able to "let go", nice Page outro into

Circus - like the Guyute after Free, this somehow works, great tune.

Hood - Mike w/ trippy bass in intro, another tune in high frequency, still haven't heard the JB beauty folks rave about, good jam, I've noticed the few Hood's I've heard from this tour seem much more fast out of the gate, like the communication is more rushed. 

Coil - a classic, really nice colors in this one.

You Enjoy Myself - Trey all over his parts, nice to hear, sans Esther because they haven't played it as of this writing, Phish plays their Junta material very consistently this time around(3.0), nirvana surrealness, nice jam ensues, at 10:10 Trey drops in, Mike and Fish adding nice accompaniment on the low end, inspired Trey, rock star Trey, high energy jam continues, Trey feedbacks before Mike picks it up w/ a cool bass jam/solo, Trey coming back or actually it was Mike who came back around sounding like Trey, nice h/e jam.

E.

Grind - love the acapella.

Hello My Baby - "and now Fish will sing Bike for you"

HYHU - cheese

Bike -

HYHU

Loving Cup - great closer for any show.

Overall I thought this show was a big improvement from 16June2009.  Set 1 was played well w/ high energy but again(which has become the norm) no risk taking in jams.  The Disease had a few promising moments and again repeated briefly in Piper.  You Enjoy Myself was good but I was expecting more after hearing earlier ideas, overall it may have been slightly above average but that's not saying a lot for this tour. 

VA $l!m

doing some catching up today...
currently skimming this show.
so far impressions are that it is about what i expected for between the Bonaroo (fox) and DC shows i've already listened to. which is a progression.
TUbe mighta been the best i've heard this tour. very tight.
ALASKA has changed a good bit, really GRoovy, i like it a LOT. i dug the lyric portion b4, but now the jam seems to have an identity.

::edit::

this H00d is very nice... you can tell this is the show where the boys are shrugging off all of the comeback stress finally. all gravy from here on out, def.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: VA slim on June 29, 2009, 03:46:37 PM
doing some catching up today...
currently skimming this show.
so far impressions are that it is about what i expected for between the Bonaroo (fox) and DC shows i've already listened to. which is a progression.
TUbe mighta been the best i've heard this tour. very tight.
ALASKA has changed a good bit, really GRoovy, i like it a LOT. i dug the lyric portion b4, but now the jam seems to have an identity.

::edit::

this H00d is very nice... you can tell this is the show where the boys are shrugging off all of the comeback stress finally. all gravy from here on out, def.

Yeah.  The YEM is a fuckin' monster taboot.

There's that one part in the Tube, where page starts going off with that weird effect, and it was dope at the show.

And, yes, the hood was good!

gah

I know exactly what you're talking about in the tube. He goes through 3 different effects, and the third is the sickest, that almost dj style scratching effect....i liked that part a lot....starts around 5:20....sickness.....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: goodabouthood on June 29, 2009, 10:24:07 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about in the tube. He goes through 3 different effects, and the third is the sickest, that almost dj style scratching effect....i liked that part a lot....starts around 5:20....sickness.....

hahaha.  I haven't heard it since the show, but that sounds like exactly what I'm talkin' bout.

He dropped into that...and it was DOOOOPE!

antelope19

I listened to a few select tracks from this show yesterday while running.  Page pwns that Tube and I would nominate it as best of the tour as well.  I love Mike on both the Yem and the Hood. 

fauxpaxfauxreal

Mike's echo-ey tear drop effect during the hood opening was appropriate, fo sho.

antelope19

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on June 30, 2009, 04:17:57 PM
Mike's echo-ey tear drop effect during the hood opening was appropriate, fo sho.

Yup, and I really enjoy the way Page and Mike start the tune playing off each other.  You can almost hear them smiling at one another.  

justjezmund

Threw this on tonight,  i dont really no why.  but i would just like to re state that the DWD>Free is kinda bad ass. :music:
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

JPhishman

Sweet bump, I had a blast at this show. It's a niiiice.

Other than Bowie anyway....
:mrgreen:

:mrgreen:

"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

justjezmund

this shows kicked so much ass i almost broke my foot (seriously)
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.