News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

beer snobs unite

Started by bellybuttonfunk, May 26, 2005, 10:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

jephrey, any self-respecting hophead owes it to himself to try Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin IPA. It too smells like fresh hops. Cascades, I think.

I've been know to brew a bit myself. Yummy fun.

My IPA is my fav. of my recipes

jephrey

I'll look into that one...  I am really into trying new stuff these days.  I hit up beer advocate for some ideas.  It's good.  Do you peruse any beer forums?  I'm over at the Northern Brewer forums.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Bishop Pooh

Yeah, that Hop Ottin' is a good one. All of Anderson Valley's stuff is quality. And to the Victory Hop Devil fans, you should try their Hop Wallop. It tastes just like it sounds. Also, Dogfish Head's 60 and 90 minute IPAs are outstanding.

Hey jephrey, that's cool that you homebrew and are growing your own hops and are a Cub fan. I'm just starting to homebrew also. Where you at in the Chicago area? I'm up north in Grayslake. Always nice to meet fellow beer/homebrew phans. I'll have to check out that Northern Brewer forum sometime.

Cheers!

August

the victory hop devil will knock you on your ass.and then it will knock you up.right now, i am drinking a liberty ale and then an anchor steam.always winners.yo slim....did you stop in at any of the brew houses out here on the island?aug.

sls.stormyrider

If your ever in New England, look for Magic Hat-brewed in Vermont. Their "signature beer" is #9 but everything I've had of theirs is good. Tremont Ale is a good beer and on tap a lot of places. Beats Sam, any day.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

RalphPa

Quote from: slslbsIf your ever in New England, look for Magic Hat-brewed in Vermont. Their "signature beer" is #9 but everything I've had of theirs is good. Tremont Ale is a good beer and on tap a lot of places. Beats Sam, any day.

I would guess that most people here are familiar with Magic Hat as it is widely distributed on the East Coast.  I find it a tad overrated, personally.  Not bad, but not great.

VA $l!m

Quote from: slslbsIf your ever in New England, look for Magic Hat-brewed in Vermont. Their "signature beer" is #9 but everything I've had of theirs is good. Tremont Ale is a good beer and on tap a lot of places. Beats Sam, any day.

please god tell me your talkindg about SAM adams(not smith)!

magic hat ...is aaight...one of  my most notable memoies of drinking beer at a show though was at providence in 98  when they had magic hat on tap --i think they were saying it was trey's fav beer or something weird like that... nothing beats good beer on tap inside a show(minus the cost of course) , if your drinking out in the lot all day anyway ,,, always hated having to go inside and being given the choice of bud/budlight!!>>okay one thing beats it, that was in 93 at wolftrap when they let everyone bring in coolers...can we say never invited back!!HA! :shock:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

August

if i recall, they had #9 on tap inside keyspan park in brooklyn.and i am almost positive that they "jumped the shark".aug

RalphPa

Quote from: VA slimokay one thing beats it, that was in 93 at wolftrap when they let everyone bring in coolers...can we say never invited back!!HA! :shock:

That is 100% normal to this day for Wolftrap for people on the lawn.  Kind of a surprising policy, but I guess it is born from the fact that it is usually a wine & cheese crowd at that venue.

VA $l!m

Quote from: RalphPaThat is 100% normal to this day for Wolftrap for people on the lawn.  Kind of a surprising policy, but I guess it is born from the fact that it is usually a wine & cheese crowd at that venue.

yeah i know, and it was cool at the time , being my first phish show, living five min away, all my va fam there, and i was the oldest at 19 yrs , so i was elected to carry in the cooler , like we were nervous about the policy or something...no probs, very laid back venue. 8)
and they let you bring in psychedelics too... :wink:

sls.stormyrider

I didn't know Magic Hat was so widely distributed. At one time you could only gt it in Vt.  I guess I need to get out more.

You are right Slim, I was talking about sam Adams, not smith. Unfortunately in Boston, there is only one "sam" and it's the wrong one. Would never dis Sam Smith.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

RalphPa

Quote from: rowjimmyDominion is great as ever. I have a friend in Eureka, CA who, inspite of the orgy of delicious brews surrounding him still longs for a Tupper's Hop Pocket (contract brewed by Dominion).

Well, on your recommendation, I picked up a 6-pack of the Tupper's Hop Pocket on my way home.  [side note: I also picked up a 6-pack of Sierra Nevada 2005 Summerfest, which is pretty good for a "lighter" brew.]  I was pretty impressed with the Hop Pocket.  It certainly is only recommended for people who like hops.  I definitely would only recommend this beer to people who know good beers.  This is the type of beer you will only appreciate if you are experienced with the hoppy brews, otherwise you might think it is too bitter.  Anyway, a very good beer and something I will purchase again.  Definitely pour it in a glass if you try it.  It doesn't taste the same directly from the bottle.

VA $l!m

tuppers is a classic good hoppy brew , and talking abput pouring it in a glass  reminded me of something----
who here like's chimay??:especially the grand reserve...gotta have the right glass though :wink:

groovy

Jephrey...you reminded me about Bells!  How could I forget!  Oberon.  I LOVE that as well.  You know it is spring when the oberon hits the shelfs!
work less, dance more

jedifunk

just got back from the liquor store with some Honker Ale in hand!  pretty good stuff, never had it before.

i was in the store buying wine (great wine sale right now!), and decided i wanted some beers also... needless to say, i was happy to see something that was mentioned here.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio