News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Help with earphones - at iStore now

Started by flow00, July 10, 2009, 11:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flow00

Here's a thread about it on another board:

I realize the k701s are in a higher price bracket but I often see the HD600/650 in a high price system and thought some might like a comparison:

I've got the HD600 on loan to decide if HD580s are a good choice (they're such a good deal right now).
Been listening to both for a bit here's my impressions:

HD600:
Very agreeable sound. Non-offensive with full bass and a lower-midrange emphasis. Deep bass is authoritive, nearing DT880 in terms of scale(I felt deep-bass was one of the gretest strengths of the DT880). PRat seems just slightly slow for my liking, speed metal seems to lag ever so-slightly. The sound is very cohesive and despite the lack of high-frequency emphasis, it seems to provide a good sense of detail. The HD600s seems to strike a good balance between critical analysis and the ability to allow enjoyment of average recordings.

AKG K701:
Presentation is much airier. Bass response is more shallow and has a soft attack, yet it retains a good sense of PRaT. Seems to emphasize upper mids and excels with female vocals. Treble seems extended, lacking a definite upper limit but is certainly revealing of poor recordings. Upper bass can be snappy but occasionally sounds plasticky. Sounds less restrained than HD600 with an effortless sound, particularly in the midrange.

Overall I prefer the 701 for my tastes but I look forward to adding a sennheiser to my collection.

My rig is M-Audio 7.1 -> Musical Fidelity X-DAC -> Millet Mybrid /w DBs -> Headphones

flow00

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on July 10, 2009, 05:15:14 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on July 10, 2009, 05:11:38 PM
I've been in the market for some new cans, and I'm looking to spend ~275. 

Right now I can't decide between the Sennheiser HD600s, and the AKG K701s.  Which would you guys recommend? 

i own a pair of these... PX350, to be exact.... i'm rough on them and they haven't let me down yet.
noise canceling and volume control on the cord...

but what do i know?
i didn't even buy them, they were a valentine's present....
come to think of it, the first one i've gotten since 7th grade....

So you don't respect your Valentine's Day gift?  :-P

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: flow00 on July 10, 2009, 05:19:30 PM

Right now I can't decide between the Sennheiser HD600s, and the AKG K701s.  Which would you guys recommend? 

i own a pair of these... PX350, to be exact.... i'm rough on them and they haven't let me down yet.

but what do i know?

hey now!
i didn't say that at all.
i LOVE it. when i got them in the mail... i actually cried... yeah yeah yeah, i'm a girl.  :roll:

i was just acknowledging the fact that i haven't gotten valentine's gifts :P :P :P
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

flow00

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on July 10, 2009, 05:21:40 PM

but what do i know?

hey now!
i LOVE it. when i got them in the mail... i actually cried... yeah yeah yeah, i'm a girl.  :roll:

i was just acknowledging the fact that i haven't gotten valentine's gifts :P :P :P

And that you are rough on them.  :-o

ytowndan

Quote from: flow00 on July 10, 2009, 05:16:47 PM
Here's a thread about it on another board:

I realize the k701s are in a higher price bracket but I often see the HD600/650 in a high price system and thought some might like a comparison:

I've got the HD600 on loan to decide if HD580s are a good choice (they're such a good deal right now).
Been listening to both for a bit here's my impressions:

HD600:
Very agreeable sound. Non-offensive with full bass and a lower-midrange emphasis. Deep bass is authoritive, nearing DT880 in terms of scale(I felt deep-bass was one of the gretest strengths of the DT880). PRat seems just slightly slow for my liking, speed metal seems to lag ever so-slightly. The sound is very cohesive and despite the lack of high-frequency emphasis, it seems to provide a good sense of detail. The HD600s seems to strike a good balance between critical analysis and the ability to allow enjoyment of average recordings.

AKG K701:
Presentation is much airier. Bass response is more shallow and has a soft attack, yet it retains a good sense of PRaT. Seems to emphasize upper mids and excels with female vocals. Treble seems extended, lacking a definite upper limit but is certainly revealing of poor recordings. Upper bass can be snappy but occasionally sounds plasticky. Sounds less restrained than HD600 with an effortless sound, particularly in the midrange.

Overall I prefer the 701 for my tastes but I look forward to adding a sennheiser to my collection.

My rig is M-Audio 7.1 -> Musical Fidelity X-DAC -> Millet Mybrid /w DBs -> Headphones

That was very helpful.  Thanks, man!
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

postjack

Quote from: flow00 on July 10, 2009, 05:13:18 PM

Right now I can't decide between the Sennheiser HD600s, and the AKG K701s.  Which would you guys recommend?  

You could bid on these Grado GS1000 Statement Series: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Grado-GS-1000-Statement-Series-Headphones-GS1000_W0QQitemZ120446399825QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0b2a3551&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1240%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

The GS1K is a weird phone.  piercing highs, sucked out midrange, but wonderful bass and a massive soundstage.  extremely comfortable, and the pads smell fantastic.  no way are they worth anywhere near their MSRP.  I do like the new PS1000.  it suffers from similar sins but at least they bring the midrange back.

ytown: flow's impressions are solid. personally I prefer the HD600 (the K701 doesn't fit on my large head). I'm a sucker for a Sennheiser. what headphone amp will you be using?

flow: you on head-fi?
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: flow00 on July 10, 2009, 05:23:10 PM
Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on July 10, 2009, 05:21:40 PM

but what do i know?

hey now!

And that you are rough on them.  :-o

by rough i mean i drop everything.  EVERYTHING. mandi=clumsy
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

ytowndan

Oh, and by the way, those just happen to be the two that I've been looking at.  I'm open to any other suggestions that fit that general price range.  It doesn't have to be either of those two brands/models.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

flow00

postjack

Quote from: flow00 on July 10, 2009, 05:57:26 PM
I'm not on head-fi.

cool.  I prefer www.head-case.org.  smaller community, more like a group of friends.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

flow00

Quote from: postjack on July 10, 2009, 06:03:43 PM
Quote from: flow00 on July 10, 2009, 05:57:26 PM
I'm not on head-fi.

cool.  I prefer www.head-case.org.  smaller community, more like a group of friends.

Thanks. I'll check it out for sure.

whatapiper

You read my mind with this post, thanks for the advice mattstick, i'm headed to the apple store tommorow

any comparison on the vibe, vibe II and the vibe duo by v-moda?
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

whatapiper

went ahead and got the vibe duo and they do not disappoint! thanks for the advice! :rawk:

next in line...headphones, any suggestions?
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

mattstick

People are going to mention all sorts of different headphones, but you'll regret it if you don't buy Sony MDR-7509s.

postjack

Quote from: whatapiper on July 12, 2009, 01:43:21 AM
next in line...headphones, any suggestions?

highly a matter of personal taste, and its nigh impossible to find a headphone with zero flaws, in my opinion.  and personally, I'm not a fan of non-R10 Sonys, though I can't say I've ever heard the 7509.

I'd browse around www.headphone.com.  they are retailers but damn good folks, with solid and unbiased reviews.  of course their inventory doesn't represent the entire headphone world, and their prices can be a bit high, but its a great site to do some research on.