News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/30 - Red Rocks - Morrison, CO - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Undermind, July 31, 2009, 01:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobafett

i agree with your fishman point.  i noticed that secondly to how much more i can hear mike.  he has done some homework since leg uno.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Bobafett on August 02, 2009, 01:32:39 AM
i agree with your fishman point.  i noticed that secondly to how much more i can hear mike.  he has done some homework since leg uno.

Mike didn't have homework to do. The soundguy and LP d00ds did.

Superfreakie

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 02, 2009, 07:51:56 PM
Quote from: Bobafett on August 02, 2009, 01:32:39 AM
i agree with your fishman point.  i noticed that secondly to how much more i can hear mike.  he has done some homework since leg uno.

Mike didn't have homework to do. The soundguy and LP d00ds did.

:-D
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

blatboom

Bobafett

you guys are right...i used poor gramatical structure in my post.  i noticed Fishman has done his homework secondly to how much more prominent mike is in the mix of LPs that i have heard of the second leg of the first tour back since Coventry.  sorry for my f' up.    :-P
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Bobafett on August 02, 2009, 11:13:22 PM
you guys are right...i used poor gramatical structure in my post.  i noticed Fishman has done his homework secondly to how much more prominent mike is in the mix of LPs that i have heard of the second leg of the first tour back since Coventry.  sorry for my f' up.    :-P

While Mike was not the one I was criticizing from the first leg, I do however think he has stepped it up another notch eg. listen to the Chalk Dust from the second night, he's slapping it all over the place.  :rockout:
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

sprobeck

Mike was really on fire last night. He had several killer moments.  I could feel his bass big time!
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

cactusfan

just got home.

holy crap.
what a run!
red rocks is beyond stunning. anyone who hasn't been should make every effort in the future. just beautiful.
interesting to see many ticketless folks climbing up the hillside behind the amphitheatre to hear the show. not sure if they could actually see the stage from their angle, i'm guessing no, but i bet the sound was passable.

as a whole i thought this run completely blew the first half of the tour out of the water.

started off a touch rough on divided sky, but trey pulled it together. it was raining a bunch in the afternoon, but by showtime the sky was streaked with clouds and no rain. we knew sky would open the show. ocelot and moma were hot. loved the stash. overall felt to me like they were finding their way into the run.

i wasn't thrilled with the mike's > H > weeka, i still wish they'd relax into these songs more instead of whipping through them so quickly. nevertheless, wasn't bad. ghost though billy breathes was amazing. my favorite chunk of the show by far. coil was solid and bowie was obviously iffy in the composed section. i felt sure page was going to into loving cup after coil, and reading my mind, they were kind enough to play it as the encore. thanks, phish!

Play_It_Leo

Just wanted to throw my $.02 in on the Ghost. I listened to Asheville and RR ghosts back to back on my drive home from work, and I thought the RR version seemed much more cohesive throughout. Early in the jam especially, Mike was dropping a nice baseline, Page chording along, with Trey mixing in a few softer notes. Haven't heard interplay like this Ghost much at all in 3.0. I think the peak of the Asheville Ghost may be slightly better, but overall I prefer the 7/30 version for overall funkiness and band interplay.

I think Ocelot would've gone off the deep end if Trey hadn't started singing the closing lines just when Page was starting to bust out the funk. Can't wait for that next step to be taken.

Edit: I enjoyed the space of this Stash a lot more on my second (closer) listen. Very atypical, and it's a great sign for the rest of the tour that they're experimenting some new(er) territory on night 1 of the tour.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 03, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

flow00

I don't know. I keep hearing "epic" thrown around and I couldn't disagree more. By 3.0 standards, this run was solid, only because of the second night. I heard nothing on the first or third night that seemed in any way "epic." Is Phish playing better? Yes. Do they have a long way to go? Absolutely. And soon Mike will be going on tour on his own, leaving the band without more practice.

I understand how difficult it is to come together after a few years with a lot of shows and so many songs, but this is not yet the Phish I'm used to hearing. But I see more cohesion, and I'm feeling really good about that. The second night Tweezer, for me, was the best moment of 3.0. We have a long run to go, and I'm hoping for the best. While this was Red Rocks, it was Phish still trying to reinvent themselves, and it's at an infantile stage. 

sprobeck

I remember a friend of mine saying the same thing about the band trying to get back to the way they were--this was in 2003. Well they sure are a hell of a lot better than they were in 2003!!

VA $l!m

finally listened to this first set today.

personally i thought the % SKY was HOT. i musta missed any flubs, b/c i was really surprised how perfect it was.
ocelot= bad placement, but it was passable.
the next four songs= tight, but really no flow going on here... i attribute this to it being the first set of the run/tour.
then STASH. wow, not bad stuff  in here, FIshman stepping up and changing the cadence really pushed this jam much further than expected, though it almost seemed as if Trey wasnt willing to let go 100%... noodling & hiding behind the whale calls a bit... then oddly enough you can hear trey decide to put it in overdrive after the jam as the refrain kicks in. so it finishes up like a lion, but sorta pussy footed through the real possibility of the type 2 stuff.

anyway, i'd already listened to the Mikesgroove/ghostMan'sBro, so i really only have the Coil and BOwie to go.

i think this show isnt that bad at all though. overall a VERY tightly played first set at least. and from what i can recall the mikes groove as well.  with Stash and ghost giving you above par for '09 big  jams in each set. basically they did what was necessary to establish  what they could do for the rest of the run and the tour as well.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

fauxpaxfauxreal

I dunno, '03 was decently hot.

I saw Greensboro, Charlotte and Atlanta, and all three were PRIMO.

sprobeck

I went to the two Alpine's and a Deer Creek.  The second sets at Alpine were pretty disappointing. I remember a few of the tunes they played at D.C--Possum and apparently I saw a great SOAM.  Those shows just weren't nearly as good as what I've been a part of this year.

rowjimmy

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on August 11, 2009, 06:18:58 PM
I dunno, '03 was decently hot.

I saw Greensboro, Charlotte and Atlanta, and all three were PRIMO.

I give your taste in shows a C-