News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/07 - The Gorge Amphitheatre - George, WA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by mistercharlie, August 08, 2009, 02:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here Comes The Joker

Just finished listening to Set One of TaylorC's pull, here are my initial thoughts

DwD - Straight out of the gate type one rocker no real exploratory stuff hear, it was nice to hear the song finished.
   good start
ocelot - I thought trey sound particularly good on this one vocally and his playing through the rambling jam was nice with
   solid drumming from Fish.  Maybe my favorite version of this song yet, didn't stray to much just real solid.
P & M - It felt a little tentative in the opening not quit as crisp as it should be.  rocked out the back half nicely
Possum - nice ripping possum, good work all around page sounded real good on this IMO.
Sleep - it was it is, a well deserved breather half way through the set.
Destiny - Nice treat for the people in attendance, like the little jam they have thrown in the middle.
Stash - nice another great stash from this leg, just solid exploration, and back to the finish nicely.
Sally - love it don't know if I can say much that already been said except WOW!!!!!, there are just on it
   firing on all cylinders. vocal jam just awesome and the kick back in.  This version is overflowing
   with creativity. Finest 3.0 musical moment to date hands down. The jam has a little What's the use feel to it in parts
Cavern - Not sure what you do to close a set after the jam in Sally.  A blistering cavern will have to do.

This set gets a standing O :clap:

back in a bit with set II

VA $l!m

Quote from: nab on August 08, 2009, 12:50:14 PM
Connection here won't let me post a full review from the phone, but I had a great time last night.  Met up with antelope, goodabouthood, jimmywilson, and uncleebineezer.  Boys hit the stage just as the sun set.  Can't wait for tonight.  Full reveiw to follow on my return.  Not a bad first show.

congrats on that first show Naber. :beers:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

McGrupp

Sneakin is sweet.

But upon first listen I am kinda digging the Bathtub Gin more.

We'll see
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

mistercharlie

Quote from: VA slim on August 08, 2009, 01:29:51 PM
Quote from: nab on August 08, 2009, 12:50:14 PM
Connection here won't let me post a full review from the phone, but I had a great time last night.  Met up with antelope, goodabouthood, jimmywilson, and uncleebineezer.  Boys hit the stage just as the sun set.  Can't wait for tonight.  Full reveiw to follow on my return.  Not a bad first show.

congrats on that first show Naber. :beers:
One Helluva 1st show!! :rockout:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

kellerb

on Light now.  How come I haven't paid attention to this song before?  The type II and Type 3.0 jamming are really gelling on this.

Here Comes The Joker

My 2nd Set review

Moma - I kind of like this in the leadoff spot of Set II, creates a nice vibe.
Light - This song has a lot of open ended possibilities.  The really took some chances in this one and pushed it out there.
   around the nine minute mark I like how the jam starts to change pace starting to push it just a bit farther.
   Bring it around to the finish with some vocal stylings good stuff.
Taste - the transition from the end of light to taste was spot on. Nice solid taste
Fluff - Nice fluff not the cleanest version but high energy.
Joy - mid set breather, I am ok with this song don't hate it as much as other people do.
Gin - late set gin this must be good is it the monster we have been waiting on.  At the 6 minute mark you can feel the jam start to devolpe
   at nine minutes we start to morph agian you can feel that this gin is going to take awhile. Gordo starts to impose his will with some nice funk
   12 minutes now we are cooking great band play in this section. At 15 we find another nice theme. The last 3 minutes are just pure gold. Once
   again nice drop into
Hood - They really hit the opening changed it up a little but very crisp and engaging. Minor nailed. There are just certain songs that go with a
   particular venue your Deer Creek Antelopes and Alpine Tweezers, whenever I think of the Gorge I think Hood.  This version stands right up
   with it's historical brethren. just a nice jam that flows so smooth. I really liked how they brought it around to the end and then let it dissolve
   it a little ambient ending no big thunderous finish just let it dissipate into the night.

Slave - IMO a perfect choice to end the night it really keeps with the vibe of the 2nd set.  A Cup or ADITL wouldn't have fit well with the whole flow of the
   2nd set, Should be noted Slave is one of my favorite closers period first set second set encore doesn't matter.

What is everybody's opinion on the show, I usually don't like to throw out superlatives like show of the year so far, so close after it happens.  After being mildly underwhelmed by shoreline, this show kind of blew my socks off.  Take the Gin & Sally both are defiantly top five of 3.0 so far if not the top moments alone.  This is just after one listen so maybe time will temper my enthusiasm, but right know I can't wait for my NE trip next weekend.

disco

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

mbw

Quote from: kellerb on August 08, 2009, 02:05:07 PM
on Light now.  How come I haven't paid attention to this song before?  The type II and Type 3.0 jamming are really gelling on this.

the tweezer > light from fenway is real nice
check it

kellerb

I consider myself to be in the middle on my 3.0 opinions, between the nit-pickers/haterz, and the kool-aid drinkers.

That being said, my one-listen opinion is that this might be the best overall show of 3.0 so far.  There were no down-spots for me.

kellerb

Quote from: kellerb on August 08, 2009, 03:54:42 PM
I consider myself to be in the middle on my 3.0 opinions, between the nit-pickers/haterz, and the kool-aid drinkers.

That being said, my one-listen opinion is that this might be the best overall show of 3.0 so far.  There were no down-spots for me.

as long as they repeat it @ Toyota

VA $l!m

Quote from: kellerb on August 08, 2009, 03:54:42 PM

right there with ya bro.
after hitting hampton and RR this year i've got the "i've got to go to a show" jones off my back, and now i'm settling in to sit out  the long haul that will be the rest of the year.
i'm hoping that by 2010 i'll have a better idea of how much time and effort i want to spend listening to/going to shows.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

justjezmund

what up all, just out of work finally and at the end of P&M now i liked it but it was said before first times can be rough.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

mistercharlie

Just starting the second set, Moma was nice and funky, but a little short. Light is a great jam so far. That's as far as I've gotten.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

justjezmund

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

mistercharlie