News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/16 - SPAC - Saratoga Springs, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by mistercharlie, August 17, 2009, 12:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

blatboom

mattstick

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 22, 2009, 01:47:25 AM
Quote from: whyweigh4.0 on August 22, 2009, 12:06:19 AM
I'm finally going to listen to the BDTNL>20 years

....well?!?!?

There isn't a lot going on in the latter-half of that #Line, it kind of drags on and bores me.  The first half of 20 Years Later is weak too, so that makes for about 12 minutes in the middle of that 25 minutes that isn't very listenable...

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: mattstick on August 22, 2009, 08:08:12 AM

....well?!?!?

There isn't a lot going on in the latter-half of that #Line, it kind of drags on and bores me.  The first half of 20 Years Later is weak too, so that makes for about 12 minutes in the middle of that 25 minutes that isn't very listenable...
Agreed.

This #Line seems to be getting quite a bit of love, but I'm just not hearing it.  It's good, but not that good.
Bring in the dude!

kellerb

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 22, 2009, 01:52:46 PM
Quote from: mattstick on August 22, 2009, 08:08:12 AM

....well?!?!?

Agreed.

This #Line seems to be getting quite a bit of love, but I'm just not hearing it.  It's good, but not that good.
Chicago was better, except for about 5 seconds of the > carini, which mr. charlie would probably notate as "~>" using the mr. charlie notation system.

thechad

I  like the BDTNL, but yeah it definitely starts to drag, for me the tune of the show is the RnR and I feel one of the best of the tour.  Total top 3.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

phishtube

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 20, 2009, 12:30:41 AM
I loved the Bowie intro, though.  No clue what the hell Trey is doing, with his weird whisper shit.  The jam is just okay, nothing spectacular, but not horrible.

The intro reminded me of the 12/29/94 whispering section. Good stuff for sure.  :evil:

THis Bowie pales in comparison to the Darien version earlier in the week, IMO.
-pay attention, focus, and stay in the moment-

VA $l!m

is there anyone else that DID NOT go to this show besides me that thinks it is getting slightly overlooked for how good it is?

Listening to the first set, one thing that bugs me though is how they place Guyute.
sorta like the redrocks version its becoming a Buzzkill placement song. its almost like since they are playing shorter versions of most songs and therefore more songs in a set, that songs like guyute are getting peppered in as time filler and really dont belong. same could be said for a lot of tunes this tour...
anyway, this version is tighter than the RR one, but perhaps only b/c it seems they really slowed the tempo down very 3.0 stlye. i cant say i'm against this approach. the trade off for a slower tempo is a much larger percentage of  composed sections nailed correctly.
Furthermore,  i thought this phenomenon was an interesting microcosm of their approach to playing live for 3.0 in general.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

VA $l!m

so i cut and paste this comment from the "new songs" thread, b/c i guess my st00pid ass doesnt know this song and i thoguht it was new:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
just jumping in here to say:

ANything but me--- Ewwwwww!! not a fan. :tte:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so... can someone fill me in? whats the history of this horrible tune?
k bye, thx. ttyl. xoxo. j/k lol omg. :crazy:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

mbw

Quote from: VA slim on August 23, 2009, 04:59:38 PM
so i cut and paste this comment from the "new songs" thread, b/c i guess my st00pid ass doesnt know this song and i thoguht it was new:

for one, its the second track on round room

Superfreakie

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on August 23, 2009, 05:09:38 PM
Quote from: VA slim on August 23, 2009, 04:59:38 PM

for one, its the second track on round room

and two, it's fucking retarded.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

redrum

i'll admit, Anything But Me is not my favorite tune to see played live.
and i pretty much used to hate it too, until one day i read the lyrics (with out the music playing)

QuoteI am just a satellite, high above the atmosphere
Bouncing every thing you say to someone who was meant to
hear
Sometimes on a rainy day, I lie in bed and dream of you
So blame it on the satellite, when your message can't get
through

I am just a tiny wave, a minor ripple out at sea
Moving slowly towards the shore, burdened with uncertainty
I'm gaining power, losing speed, wondering as I near your
door
Will you hold it open for the tidal wave approaching shore?

You've become an island in the hazy world surrounding me
Offering a vast reward each time I safely cross the sea
All too often I become lost in the fog and haze
Clinging still, against my will, to promises of clearer days

I am just a raindrop that accelerates without control
Losing bits and pieces in descent 'til I'm no longer whole
I am just another shooting star above that you might see
Until I have your full attention I'll be anything but me

now i at least appreciate (& tolerate) it.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

Superfreakie

Shit, I thought we were discussing "I've been around"  :-( Ignore my above statement (sort of) my bad.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Am I the only one that really thinks that the Harpua is extra fucking lame with a side of lame sauce?

First of all...there is no true Jimmy/Poster Nutbag/Harpua story...

Second of all...Trey keeps fucking up during the second half of the tune.

Or...am I being a jealous hater? 

Also, I kind of thought that the Katy Perry cover wasn't as funny as I was hoping...it was more like..."HaHa get it...I'm playing the Katy Perry song!"

ps-Anything But Me is a rad tune for exactly the reason that RedRum posted.