News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Furthur

Started by redrum, August 23, 2009, 05:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Those showboats  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Buffalo Budd

Heading down now to meet SF.
Did I mention I'm psyched!!!
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sophist

Quote from: Phishy69 on July 07, 2010, 06:34:47 PM
y'all have a good show!
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

JPhishman

Quote from: sophist on July 07, 2010, 07:20:18 PM
Quote from: Phishy69 on July 07, 2010, 06:34:47 PM
y'all have a good show!

Hell yeah guys! Have a blast!

I just got my ticket in the mail for one of their Sept. shows in Eugene. Def the best  :syf: -related band I've seen.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

VA $l!m

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Superfreakie

The Furthur setlist Phishy and I just saw with my review below it. One long 2 hours and 45 min. set

Alabama Getaway
Don't Ease Me In
Mama Tried
Dire Wolf
Hell In A Bucket
Bertha
Truckin' >
Smokestack Lightning >
Casey Jones
I Need A Miracle >
Help On The Way >
Caution >
New Speedway Boogie >
Wharf Rat >
I Fought The Law >
Liberty

encore:
On The Road Again >
Touch Of Grey

MY FIRST GD/PHISH SHOW SINCE THE OTHER ONES BOSTON 2002/PHISH SHORELINE 2000

Well, I called how the show was going to be structured, can be kangfirmed by Phishy. I called a bluesy night with a Help Slip Frank tossed in..we got the Help>Caution>New Speedway. Keep in mind, this is labeled as a Blues fest and a lot of people were not heads. That being said, looking at the setlist might give one a groan but as we know setlists do not always tell the tale of the tape. Setlist wise, the only real let down for me was the last last four songs. I would of liked to have seen them replaced with a huge turn into Franklin's. I have since learned that I Fought the Law was last minute, and taught by Phil to the rest because they got shaken down hard crossing the border. This was also reflected in the law breaking nature of the set as a whole (Alabama Getaway, Mama Tried [twenty years in prison......], Bertha [why don't you arrest me...], Trucking[Busted down on......], I Fought the Law).

So let us talk about the band's playing as a whole. To sum it up in a couple words......Johnny fucking K. The man is freakin' dirty. Holy Christ, pure nastiness, dude's a monster with huge chops. I recently saw Knopfler, which I thought was awesome......and he made Knopfler look like a child in a kindergarten plastic instrument circle. Not only has he copped from Jerry in a most honorable way, but he has added these wonderful twists and approaches that had me grinning all night and of which I am sure Jerry is similarly having a little chuckle over. His tone is absolutely gorgeous, real '76 warmth with that '77 bite. You know, I really enjoyed Phil and Friends with Warren and Jimmy but this is better....because he's flat out a better guitar player. His voice is spooky, and we'll leave it at that.

As for Phil and Russo, are you kidding me? 70 year old man stands for nearly three hours non stop without sitting down, all the while bitch slapping the fuck out of his bass. And Russo's just giving it to Phil, no -I'll take it easy on the old man-. It took a couple songs for them to dial in the PA but then it was on. Obviously, it goes without saying, Russo's a brilliant drummer. That being said, I think this is the best outfit I have seen him play in as it gives him so much room to move and now, without Jay Lane, he's able to be even more creative a la Billy K sans Mickey. His tom work and use of the toms' tones was awesome and I love how he plays with the entire surface of the cymbal, stuff not often caught on tape. And Phil is getting off on it. I have never seen him smile so much.

Bobby, well he wasn't pulling his weird sing talk phrasing and thankfully he's still crunchy. I Love my Bobby, love his rhythm, always have; IMO probably one of the most creative rhythm guitarists ever, you can't lose. And Chimenti fills in the blanks nicely, throwing in some spacey effects and spending a lot of time hitting the B3.

HARMONIES WERE AWESOME....THEY HAVE TWO BACK UP SINGERS (A GUY AND A GIRL), THIS WORKS INCREDIBLY WELL.

Highlights of the show......Bucket was awesome (I love Buckets and this one went deeeeep, Johnny K played shit that would of made Jerry laugh his ass off, Phil was), Bertha (had a deadly bounce), Trucking>Smokestack you knew was coming and it delivered, chunky blues. BUT the piece de resistance was the Help>Caution>New Speedway. Hey instead of me telling you about it, I uploaded an FOB Aud of the three songs to mega. Should take ten minutes to download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FWPS7VKC               

This is a SICK band. If Phish were playing on one side of the street and them the other I would have a hard time deciding which to see. Seeing as Phil is 70, I'd probably pick Furthur. But I still need to see a real show. You know China Rider/Playin/Scar>Fire/Dark Star/Other One...
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

sophist

Awesome SF.  Glad you're digging on them man.  Sounds like a hell of a show.  I can't wait to hear it. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

redrum

Quote from: Superfreakie on July 08, 2010, 08:09:10 PM
I have since learned that I Fought the Law was last minute, and taught by Phil to the rest because they got shaken down hard crossing the border. This was also reflected in the law breaking nature of the set as a whole (Alabama Getaway, Mama Tried [twenty years in prison......], Bertha [why don't you arrest me...], Trucking[Busted down on......], I Fought the Law).

interesting.
help with no slip/frank is also law breaking.
sounds like good times were had.
here's to more in the future.
:beerbang: :beerbang:
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

mbw

i like the looks of that setlist alot.

congrats on your first show in 8 years!

Superfreakie

Quote from: redrum on July 08, 2010, 08:27:26 PM
interesting.

but here's my take on it. Instead we got four encore songs to close the show. Songs which, if you think about it, were played for those who didn't know the GD in the audience, which was thousands. During the big jams, I noticed more of these "straight" people talking to each other. Surprisingly, give them all a chorus to sing like FREEEEEDOM LIBERRRRTY, or I WILL SURVIVE or I FOUGHT THE LAW AND THE LAW WON and they re-engaged. So that's why we sort of got what we got. Something like Terrapin would of sailed over their heads by 50,000 feet.     
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Multibeast12

Quote from: Superfreakie on July 08, 2010, 08:39:30 PM
interesting.

but here's my take on it. Instead we got four encore songs to close the show. Songs which, if you think about it, were played for those who didn't know the GD in the audience, which was thousands. During the big jams, I noticed more of these "straight" people talking to each other. Surprisingly, give them all a chorus to sing like FREEEEEDOM LIBERRRRTY, or I WILL SURVIVE or I FOUGHT THE LAW AND THE LAW WON and they re-engaged. So that's why we sort of got what we got. Something like Terrapin would of sailed over their heads by 50,000 feet.   
SF I noticed a lot of that when i saw them in Herkimer. People during The Dark Star > Terrapin were not into it at all just kinda talking. But during the first set with the hits like truckin and stuff they were huge into it. I think me and my friend were the only people that just lost it during the Dark Star and the Terrapin. I love Terrapin so much. They nail it everytime.

Buffalo Budd

Had a total blast at the show.  Will agree with SF on pretty much every point althoough I felt Bob was just ok during some of the jams.  Seemed a bit awkward as to where to go with the jam or how to add his 2 cents. 
Johnny K, WTF!  This guy may be my favorite addition to a Dead related ensemble and I hope he stays on. 
Russo and Phil were just laying down the grooves and I spent most of my night focused on them.  And I can't believe this guy is 70 and can still play as many notes for an extended period of time.  Just incredible.

I mentioned my highlights in the meetup thread but will say that the Help>Caution>New Speedway was bad ass and Wharf Rat has always been a fav of mine so it was fun to get a well played version of that.  JK's voice, as SF said, is eerie how similar it is to Mr Garcia.

Buffalo Budd

interesting.

Yeah, this is true.  The crowd reacted like crazy when they busted out Casey Jones, everyone was whooping and hollering and singing along. 
It's funny too 'cause I had left SF and went to the front until they started Help, then I wandered back to find him to congratulate him on his Franklin's call and then they left it out.

danje

I'm really excited for the two shows this weekend in Philly.

gah

Quote from: Phishy69 on July 08, 2010, 09:43:24 PM
interesting.

Yeah, this is true.  The crowd reacted like crazy when they busted out Casey Jones, everyone was whooping and hollering and singing along. 
It's funny too 'cause I had left SF and went to the front until they started Help, then I wandered back to find him to congratulate him on his Franklin's call and then they left it out.

Glad you all had such a great time!

Had you guys not seen John Kadlecik with DSO? He's been killing it for a long time now. Hearing him play and hearing his voice was a big reason to see DSO.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.