News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Joy Reviews

Started by scottyb, August 25, 2009, 06:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfreakie

Quote from: Undermind on September 01, 2009, 11:46:24 AM
Here's Mr. Miner's Review
http://phishthoughts.com/2009/09/01/a-glimpse-of-joy/

I like this part:
QuoteThe album continues with arguably its most impressive track in Mike's "Sugar Shack."  With its quirky rhythmic changes and darting melodies tightened in the studio, this track pops off the album with as much spunk of any.

Surprisingly, Mr. Miner left the fanboy in the closet and is actually quite critical in his assessment.
Joy translates as a hodgepodge of styles, with its unity lying in its lyrical themes rather than musical connectedness.  Whereas you could listen to "Round Room" or "Undermind" and get the sense of a conceptual piece of art, Joy leaves you feeling like you have listened to mix tape.
Concerning Joy
QuoteComing off a bit thin with an acoustic guitar and more pop-like, sing-songy lyrical cadence, the raw emotional weight of this song is compromised in the studio setting
Concerning KDF
Quote"Kill Devil Falls," a song whose live performances have begun to evolve, but whose composition is still far too pedestrian for a legitimate Phish song.
Concerning TTE
Quotewith so many intricately composed sections, this prog-rock epic doesn't jive with Joy's simplicity.

The following rang especially true. Interestingly, the disjointed cohesion of the album often plagued song selection this summer. I guess the album got 3.0'd   :wink: :lol:

QuoteInterestingly, Joy is an album that contains consistent lyrical themes, but little musical cohesion.  While the words carry consistent themes, the music jumps around with little to no connection
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

rowjimmy

Weird that he disses KDF for simplicity and then TTE for complexity.

scottyb

It's interesting to see how wildly opinions are varying on the disc. I'll be interested to play this for a number of my non-Phish fan friends to see what they think.

Superfreakie

Quote from: scottyb on September 01, 2009, 01:36:29 PM
It's interesting to see how wildly opinions are varying on the disc. I'll be interested to play this for a number of my non-Phish fan friends to see what they think.

NOt advised. I gave the album to a few of my friends and in return I got a resounding "this sucks" and "give me some of that trippy live guitar shit if you want to give me Phish" And I'm being SER.

But hey they aren't into jam bands :lol:
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

aphineday

Quote from: Superfreakie on September 01, 2009, 02:21:24 PM
Quote from: scottyb on September 01, 2009, 01:36:29 PM

NOt advised. I gave the album to a few of my friends and in return I got a resounding "this sucks" and "give me some of that trippy live guitar shit if you want to give me Phish" And I'm being SER.

But hey they aren't into jam bands :lol:

Sounds like my roomate. He claims that he'd love to go to a Phish show. So he could smoke a joint and just pass out on the hill. To his credit, he doesn't think they suck, just not into jam bands.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

mattstick

My Mom loves it, and my girlfriend says it's growing on her.

Total chick album apparently.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: mattstick on September 01, 2009, 02:42:30 PM

My gf hates TTE (pompous crap) and Sugar Shack (reggae is a big no no in her book).

The fat guy is right in so far that The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is a better album than Joy.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

aphineday

Quote from: mattstick on September 01, 2009, 02:42:30 PM

That's pretty damn funny. My mom likes a couple of the songs too, but then again she has liked Phish for a while so maybe I don't lose all credibility... :mrgreen:
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

blatboom

QuoteIf you can't enjoy Joy, you will probably never enjoy Phish.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 02, 2009, 08:40:11 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on September 02, 2009, 08:28:33 AM
rollingstone review...

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/5566/page1uix.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3070/page2t.jpg

That's a good review, right there. Four stars!

I know - but RS has been throwing around 4 star reviews like candy for the last few years. I think they think it sells more magazines when you offer positivity.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Quote from: PIE-GUY on September 02, 2009, 08:41:32 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on September 02, 2009, 08:40:11 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on September 02, 2009, 08:28:33 AM
rollingstone review...

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/5566/page1uix.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3070/page2t.jpg

That's a good review, right there. Four stars!

I know - but RS has been throwing around 4 star reviews like candy for the last few years. I think they think it sells more magazines when you offer positivity.

Oh sure.
I didn't say they were Right.

Conventional wisdom from my youth indicates that a good review from RS = the suck.

However, None of this post is designed to reflect MY opinion of the album...
-Review pending-

guyforget

i dont want to beat a dead horse, but i havent read this thread until now

wtf is the "milkshake song?"
-AD_

mbw

i could teach you, but i'd have to charge