News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R8/W7: 07-29-98 Riverport Amphitheatre, Maryland Heights, MO

Started by mbw, October 19, 2009, 12:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnchundi

blatboom

dude's catching up...

Set I:

Bathtub Gin - I was first introduced to this jam when it was included as LivePhish filler and it's been one of my favorites ever since.  starts off as a typically good Gin jam with some great leads from Trey, but then somewhere around 12 minutes it all changes.  far far away from the Gin theme, they lock into some kind of dance groove.  I love those echoing notes from Mike the best.. they manage to keep it going for a good 10 minutes or so before returning to Gin theme.  sets the bar way high for the rest of the show.

Dog Log -  Paul's favorite Phish song and one of mine as well.  done in a fairly straightforward style, perfected on 12/18/99.

Foam - take or leave it.  pretty cool jam

Fikus - while I can sorta understand how it never made the rotation, I love this tune.  between the interlocking bass and guitar lines and the layered vocals, what's not to like?

Farmhouse - mid-first set is a fine spot for Farmhouse.  I really dig this version as well.

Vultures - another scarcity that I'm a fan of.  not exactly up to snuff at times but the outro rages.

Glide - rarities abound tonight.

Birds - some real live shredding from Trey.  I'm fully on board with Birds for the time being..

Set II:

Buried Alive - I would have bet anybody a sack of nugs that they were about to break into 2001.  but no, what we're treated to is a Buried Alive that's like no other.  it might be tempting to write a >jam in there but the band successfully manages to keep it well-rooted in the Buried theme.  what a treat.

>If you Need a Fool - interesting transition but I like this and we're working on another atypical setlist here.

AC/DC Bag - and the crowd goes wild.  Mike is going OFF all over this Bag.  peaky jam.

>Lizards - taking a trip down Gamehendge lane.. rough vocals but sweet piano from Page and Trey sounds great for his part

Tube - out of nowhere deep in the second set.  all sorts of loops and synth and funky bass make up this jam.  killer Tube

>Kung - spoken over some space that carries over into

>Run Like an Antelope - Fish on the vacuum then back to the woodblocks.. very playful intro before they get down to business.  sort of standard until about 7 minutes in when Trey takes it up a notch.  kind of a weird transition into RRR (my new abbreviation) but what a sick RRR it is!  my favorite part of Antelope does not disappoint here.  sounds like Mike is teasing something that I should recognize..

E:

Waste - been a while since I heard a good Waste so I was feeling this..

Golgi - to close?

Bittersweet Motel - nope, one more left in them.  Definitely love this all the way.

Wow what a couple of unusual looking sets on paper.  it helps that the playing was on a level to match the inspired choices.  The Gin is a hall of famer and Buried Alive has to be heard to be believed.  the Gin got me to seek this show out long ago and I've always liked it.  solid B+