News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

11/01 - Festival 8 - Indio, CA - Post Show Discussion and Review

Started by mistercharlie, November 02, 2009, 01:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

postjack

at Ontario airport now, no sleep.

glowstick eruption during twiprise was one of the highlights of the weekend. as were pyrotechnics for first 2001 peak.

comfort wise, 8 was the Ritz Carlton of festies.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

PhishPhan

mistercharlie

A very long day of work ahead followed by relistening to the Acoustic set when I get home.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

McGrupp

My DL of 11/1 is going reaaaaaal sloooooowwww.......

Moving somewhere between 5 and 15 kbps down....every 5 min going up to 100 ish, but then back down...

:|
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

shoreline99

i'm seeding 10/30 and 10/31, at around 90% on 11/1. pulling down at around 80 kb
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

VDB

I didn't think I'd actually make it to hear set three. (Stupid Pacific time zone!) But I put the headphones on as I lay in bed, watched the end of the WS game (stupid Yankees!) and stayed up well past my bedtime listening. I can't be sure but the audio quality for set three really wasn't too hot over Sirius at times. Could have been not listening through a real audio system as I had for one and two; could have been streaming over 3G instead of WiFi; who knows. I also noticed that at one point (in Maze) the Sirius stream jumped way ahead, only later (during Light) to jump backwards about a minute or so. Odd.

Detailed thoughts on set three since it's freshest in my mind:

Rockin, groovy Tweezer; wish it had gone on longer >
Nice drop into Maze. Some Trey shakiness.
Uptempo Free, sounded good. Sure would love to hear this song actually jammed out again ... *sigh*
Sugar Shack: Sounded better than previous live versions but I still prefer the album version.
Limb by Limb was short and fiery.
Decently hot Theme if also the "condensed version." Well, they can't all be Merriweather 2000.
Mike's Song: We're all wondering when -- if -- the monstrous Mike's jam will return. Call it "Trey's Song" for now >
A well-placed 2001. Here again, they seem fairly disinterested in really stretching this one out these days. Hmm, I'm beginning to see a pattern ... >
Fast-paced, purposeful Light. Several minutes of serious ambiance. I kept hoping something organic and rhythmic would emerge out of it. Instead >
A wonderful Slave. Some apprehensions about this as '09 Slaves have been hit or miss. But Trey basically nailed this. Now I'm thinking, "Could it be? Slave > Weekapaug closer?" And: "This would officially be the most badass Mike's Groove in how long?" Alas, no. Set.
Grind: Their new favorite encore. It loses some novelty but it's fun. And after two sets of what too often sounded to me like sub-par vocals, this one sounded good and that was welcome.
Top it off with one last scary story in Esther. Trey's fingers have a hard time cooperating. I'm still thinking the Weekapaug could surface and I know the place would go bonkers.
Tweezer Reprise. So fixated on the Paug I had actually forgotten about this. Well, duh. But Tweeprise > Paug?? Surely not, right? Right. End show.

I haven't heard every set but from what I gather Fest 8 didn't gave us the massive, paradigm-shifting jam or jams we were hoping for (remember all the big jams at IT?) but hey. Life goes on. To my ears things wrapped up on a pretty high note. Wish I coulda been there, I'm sure it was a superb time.
Is this still Wombat?

Poster Nutbag

Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

mehead

I'm a little biased here since I live in Maine but of course I would say it's going to open Limestone 2010...I can only go by what I read on-line but it seems that the traffic situation at Indio was much smoother than past festies (Coventry & It) and I wonder if this will somehow factor in their decision on where to have future festivals.  I know that was one thing the boys liked about the Indio site - the traffic flow was much better then previous locations.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Undermind

Quote from: mehead on November 02, 2009, 07:42:41 PM
I'm a little biased here since I live in Maine but of course I would say it's going to open Limestone 2010...I can only go by what I read on-line but it seems that the traffic situation at Indio was much smoother than past festies (Coventry & It) and I wonder if this will somehow factor in their decision on where to have future festivals.  I know that was one thing the boys liked about the Indio site - the traffic flow was much better then previous locations.

Yeah there was less traffic because there were 20-30k less people.   They know they will automatically draw 60-70k in the northeast.  Not positive that is important to them, but they will make more $ here.
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

mehead

correct..they were also saying though regardless of how many people they had, that access to the site was much better than Limestone...but..who gives a shit..we need another old school festie up north to close out summer 2010!!  :banana:
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Tomapella

Quote from: mehead on November 02, 2009, 08:00:10 PM
correct..they were also saying though regardless of how many people they had, that access to the site was much better than Limestone...but..who gives a shit..we need another old school festie up north to close out summer 2010!!  :banana:

I hope so!  I've been wanting to go to Maine for quite a while, and what better reason to go than a festival!  But it'll probably be months before a word is heard of it if there even is one, so I'll just get excited to go to Cincinnati in a few weeks. :rawk:

postjack

not that I would put anything past Phish 3.0, but do you really think we'll have another festival less then a year from 8?
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

redrum

Quote from: postjack on November 02, 2009, 09:09:49 PM
not that I would put anything past Phish 3.0, but do you really think we'll have another festival less then a year from 8?

YES.
In Limestone, Maine the summer of 2010.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.