News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

11/28 - Times Union Center - Albany, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by whatapiper, November 28, 2009, 11:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

"we want you to be happy!"

...well dont Fuck up my favorite song every time then Mther F-ers!!
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

McGrupp

Quote from: VA slim on November 30, 2009, 03:47:56 PM
"we want you to be happy!"

...well dont Fuck up my favorite song every time then Mther F-ers!!

:lol:

And well-said, RJ.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Marmar

as I listen to 3.0 more and more.....they sound like they have forgot to listen to each other as a whole.....you can tell when they are because the shit is on FIRE.....but when they aren't...SOAM is what you get....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

VA $l!m

rowjimmy

McGrupp

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 30, 2009, 03:53:28 PM
Quote from: VA slim on November 30, 2009, 03:51:53 PM
is it just me, or is JOY like the antithesis to BUG?

That's just you...

I kind of look at Joy as the new Waste.

But that might just be me.

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 30, 2009, 03:53:28 PM
Quote from: VA slim on November 30, 2009, 03:51:53 PM
is it just me, or is JOY like the antithesis to BUG?

That's just you...

:crazy: right.

not a big Vultuures fan, but i gotta admit they nailed it for the most part. FIshman sounds really good.
this is an ambitious set and really is proof that they have come a long way from Hampton.

VA $l!m

one more thing before i take trey's advice and "get outside your room"...i'm gonna go play Modern Warfare in the basement... :wink:
overall this set is a winner. besides the ending of SOAM no big letdowns. biggest surprise looking back was the fact that a set with 4 new songs could hold my attention so well, and honestly ROCk.
+K Phish 3.0.

i'll report back later on the 2nd set... we'll see how good of 'nap-time' material it is.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 30, 2009, 03:47:21 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 30, 2009, 03:41:55 PM
I'm pretty sure that they have been practicing.

It shows too... just not on every song.

Oh and, excluding the Halloween show, they've played 209 different songs this year.
Including Halloween puts it up to 225 with 82 one-timers.

They HAVE to be practicing... Getting out and playing is part of the equation too and I think the positive results are beginning to show.

yep. They've been doing a nice job with most of the catalogue. Frankly, I don't mind a few minor things here and there. But there are some songs, for example, Uncle Pen, that rely on the precision to work.
For the most part, they have fluff, stash, and a few others down. It will just take some time.

that said, clearly, the  :phish: are moving in the right direction.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

Wow. That Melt was not too good.

Back to where I started yesterday... Joy was good. Vultures has a notable flub but that ia more than being made up for with the solo bit here after the verses.

sunrisevt

Now that I've put myself back together, I'll go on record--

Best shows I've seen in 3.0. On car listening today, they're not epic the way I thought  post-show at the hotel. But they are practicing and they are most definitely having fun.

Rock on, d00ds.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

WhatstheUse?

They definitely have been practicing.  I think almost all of fall tour so far is a step ahead of the summer shows as a whole.

Now after listening to this -7>ghost a few times now I've noticed a few things...

I will say that between those 2 jams, we def have the best improv of the year.  However, I can't really say that either song was played great as a cohesive whole.

Honestly, both of the jams have about 10+ minutes of aimless meandering, it really seems like Trey is lost or run out of ideas at times, there were a couple of times during the -7 jam were it really felt like it was going to take off somewhere, but then never did..... but, the payoff does come, so I'm just so glad that they kept on forging ahead to see what came next because both songs have moments of pure bliss that are few and far between in 3.0

also, anyone notice the "Glory Days" tease by Trey @ the end of 7 below?  (might have been unintentional, but def sounded like BRUCE!)

Also this YEM is $.  Straight ahead rock your face off, one of the best this year imo.

Bring in the dude!

rowjimmy

I adore the solo at the end of Number Line.

Have I mentioned that?

McGrupp

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 30, 2009, 04:33:15 PM
I adore the solo at the end of Number Line.

Have I mentioned that?

5:12-5:17ish - trey glory.

ser some of the best trey i've heard all year.

rowjimmy

7Below? Not sucking.
What sets this apart from so much of the 3.0 jamming to date is that it's not all 'rawk-peak-jamming' like the Camden or Philly2 Tweezers.
Not that that 'rawk-peak-jamming' is bad... This stuff is just next level.