News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2010 Academy Awards

Started by khalpin, February 02, 2010, 11:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatfargone

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 02, 2010, 01:21:13 PM
When you touch a hot stove and get burned, do you touch it again every time you walk by?

If so, I'm pretty sure there's a word for that, too.

True but I would assume many fans of District 9 would also enjoy such hits as:

or

Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

sophist

Sorry Matt, but it has to be done here. 

Animal Collective'd
:wink:
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

Hey, don't take my opinion..

Top Critics on Rotten Tomatoes rate the two films in question as follows:

The Blind Side @ 58% (out of 100) link

District 9 @ 89% (out of 100) link

I'm sure that you consider yourself a well studied film snob but, the fact that you are supporting Sandra Bullock, the subgenius who brought us such wonders as Miss Congeniality does not rate well for you. Regardless of the strength of this single performance.. she's laughable, at best.

thatfargone

Gotta love the critic card.  When people agree with the critics it is powerful debate tool, when they disagree...well then the critics are all idiots.

I feel it falls far short of what a "Best Picture" should be.  Compared to the other nominees, you all really think it belongs or compared to past Best Picture winners, it should win???

Edit: also, you keep putting down a performance you have no clue about?  Seriously?

Also based on your incredibly flawed logic many, many actors would be out of work and never given the chance of winning an Oscar based on their prior roles???

Sean Penn???
Jim Carey???

I could do this all day...

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

redrum

Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

rowjimmy

I never said it should or deserved to win.
I do think the nomination is warranted although I have only seen half of the best picture noms (so far).

I'm putting down an actress that I wouldn't cast in a Elementary school xmas pagent. I've not said anything critical about the performance other than :
Quote from: rowjimmy on February 02, 2010, 01:07:48 PM
I bet she gets a lot of votes and I won't be surprised if she wins.

The great ones have a few stinkers in their past...
Sandra Bullock has three pages of them.
Single-spaced.
8pt.

Hicks

Demolition Man was pretty good, you gotta love Dennis Leary as the rebel dude.

That and Speed were the only half decent movies Bullock has ever done, that I've seen at least, and they were far from demanding roles. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

thatfargone

rowjimmy it is just interesting you are debating my dislike of District 9 by criticizing me for liking Sandra Bullocks performance in a movie you haven't even seen. 

Just an odd way of debating.

rowjimmy

Quote from: thatfargone on February 02, 2010, 01:43:01 PM
rowjimmy it is just interesting you are debating my dislike of District 9 by criticizing me for liking Sandra Bullocks performance in a movie you haven't even seen. 

Just an odd way of debating.

Is it?
Well, I'm glad that you aren't bored.

I find interesting that you cited Demolition Man which, I'm sure you know, features your favorite actress, Sandra Bullock.

Mr Minor

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 02, 2010, 01:39:57 PM
I'm putting down an actress that I wouldn't cast in a Elementary school xmas pagent.

At best she might be able to pull off a cow in a manager scene, unless she would have to moo.  But just standing there, chewing cud might be her coup de gras. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: Mr Minor on February 02, 2010, 01:51:57 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on February 02, 2010, 01:39:57 PM
I'm putting down an actress that I wouldn't cast in a Elementary school xmas pagent.

At best she might be able to pull off a cow in a manager scene, unless she would have to moo.  But just standing there, chewing cud might be her coup de gras.

Yeah, I'll bet that she can chew gum.

sophist

She has the lips for that. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

thatfargone

Of course!!! :-D

You do also realize I was citing movies I find just as rewarding as District 9 right? :-P

rowjimmy

Quote from: thatfargone on February 02, 2010, 01:56:36 PM
Of course!!! :-D

You do also realize I was citing movies I find just as rewarding as District 9 right? :-P

I'm sorry that you did not like the film but you have clearly missed the strengths of it. Perhaps you should se eit again. I'm sure that the first time you just were distracted by the rumors of a Miss Congeniality 3...

mbw