News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Is Phish still your favorite live act around?

Started by WhatstheUse?, February 20, 2010, 02:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: PIE-GUY on February 21, 2010, 01:34:06 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on February 21, 2010, 01:21:19 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on February 21, 2010, 12:28:41 PM
The first several years of seeing MMW I was consistently impressed (first saw them in 1992). I was less impressed after about 1998, though. I feel like they got into a rut of sorts.

having said that, their set at ACL Fest last year was the best I'd seen them in years. I think with the Radiolarians series they finally busted out of that rut. I had never heard music like they played this past year from anyone. They are breaking new ground again. Go see them if you can.

This post is insane.  Most MMW fans agree that 2000 was their best tour and that the 2000's are better than the 90's for MMW. 

2000 for MMW is equivalent to 1995 for Phish.

Dudes have been pwning harder and harder over time.

I'm just telling you my experience... I also didn't get to see them nearly as often in the 2000's as I had earlier. But I just was never nearly as "sucked in" to their shows when I did see them. It may partially be seeing them in much bigger places than they are conducive to, too. I don't know. I just lost my connection there somehow. I mean, MMW in 1993-4 in little clubs was so engrossing.

I can respect that.  I first saw them at a small club in 1996, and from my experience, I loved it when they got into bigger venues, because the sound and atmosphere improved greatly.

In 2000, I saw them at Love Auditorium at Davidson College, Burrus Auditorium at Virginia Tech and the Wait Chapel at Wake Forest.  All of these venues I was up front and center and at all of these venues I had the time of my life because the sound was killer, and the atmosphere pristine.  Especially the Wait Chapel (seeing MMW in a functioning church?!?!? AWESOME.)

I actually prefer the larger venues to the smaller ones, but I respect your opinion on the subject.  I just wish you enjoyed mmw as much as me d00der :)

cactusfan

The first several years of seeing MMW I was consistently impressed (first saw them in 1992). I was less impressed after about 1998, though. I feel like they got into a rut of sorts.

having said that, their set at ACL Fest last year was the best I'd seen them in years. I think with the Radiolarians series they finally busted out of that rut. I had never heard music like they played this past year from anyone. They are breaking new ground again. Go see them if you can.

the tours for the Radiolarians series were great, i agree that it totally busted them out of a rut. they were getting a little directionless for a few years there.

i've been seeing MMW once or twice a year since '96. i don't think they reached their live peak till around '00, and i saw a lot of great shows in the early '00s.

i'd still see Phish over them if they played the same night, though.

fortunately i don't have to make the decision tonight... seeing MMW at the Fillmore tonight...

WhatstheUse?

I haven't seen MMW in a few years now, but I would definitely put them near the top of my "favorite shows attended" list...

Billy Martin is possibly my favorite drummer -- no one can groove like he can...
Bring in the dude!

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on February 21, 2010, 03:36:01 PM
I haven't seen MMW in a few years now, but I would definitely put them near the top of my "favorite shows attended" list...

Billy Martin is possibly my favorite drummer -- no one can groove like he can...

His arm motions are so, so fluid.  He rules it.

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

fauxpaxfauxreal

After the Black Eyed Peas show last night, I'd add them to the list.

Also Kanye West.

Superfreakie

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on February 21, 2010, 03:36:01 PM

FYP to reflect my present opinion.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

VA $l!m

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on February 21, 2010, 01:21:19 PM

This post is insane.  Most MMW fans agree that 2000 was their best tour and that the 2000's are better than the 90's for MMW. 

2000 for MMW is equivalent to 1995 for Phish.

Dudes have been pwning harder and harder over time.

i have to say that 98>00 i saw some great MMW shows
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

DoW

interesting topic.
favorite?  probably, but not definitely.

Phish is what they are.  We all know why we love them, even if it is for different reasons.
What Phish has become is you need to plan your tour out immediately and get tickets as quickly as you can.
moe. is my other favorite band and it is nice to be able to go to a smaller GA show and let plans work themselves put without needing to be on ticketmaster at 10am on the dot.

in rwality, phish brings more smiles ot my face than any other band but it is not the only band that can do it.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Bobafett

Radiohead and Wilco are definately worth spending $ on to go see... Phish is still number one tho.

I really like small venues with obscure acts...best show i saw last year was Jimbo Mathus and the Starlight Wranglers at the Carroll COunty Market with maybe 100 people and candles lit all over the room...they play interplanetary honky tonk music and have the best time on stage.  you tube that guy...an upcoming tour is soon to be announced...they play all over the country.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

JPhishman

Phish is still #1 for me by a long shot. I have seen shows by other bands that blew me away, as a great performance, but as far as walking away from shows saying "I had the greatest time at that show," only :phish: gives me that every time.

Wilco ad Radiohead are great but they don't really make me dance, which is crucial for "favorite live act" status.

In other news, I'm seeing MMW next Friday....
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

rowjimmy

Quote from: JustJezmund on February 21, 2010, 08:57:16 AM
oh and best live act ever is Ringling Brothers Circus, even phish doesn't have elephants. :wink:

I saw an elephant at a Phish show once.

justjezmund

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 22, 2010, 08:27:47 AM
Quote from: JustJezmund on February 21, 2010, 08:57:16 AM
oh and best live act ever is Ringling Brothers Circus, even phish doesn't have elephants. :wink:

I saw an elephant at a Phish show once.

[smg id=618]
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D