News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Reseeding Torrents at bt.etree

Started by Anonymous, December 21, 2004, 01:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Why are new torrents created at bt.etree for every request?
Is it not better to reseed existing torrents?
I don't understand why there are so many identical torrents listed there, and almost all of them are done by week4paug.net.

mattstick

It's almost impossible to search bt.etree.org and look for an old torrent to reseed it...  
I've got probably 600 Phish filesets, I can't recall which ones I got from bt.etree.org...

I really doubt anything that I've seeded lately has gone up in the last month or so, are you telling me that people are hanging onto torrents that are that old?  In the odd case that they are isn't it easy enough for them to just point the new torrent file at the old fileset?

ymmv, but until there's a better system at bt.etree.org I'm not going to waste my time trying to search for the original torrent.

guyforget

Just because the show has been posted to bt.etree.org before doesnt mean that my fileset matches it exactly.  The audio data will match exactly, but there are formatting differences between text files, md5 files, etc, etc.  

Furthermore, I dont always archive my files in the format that I got them or with the naming scheme that they came with.  If i download something with illogical filenames or with audio errors such as bad sector boundaries or non-canonical headers I will fix them before I archive them.  I will label the folder with the abbreviation, the 4 digit year, the 2 digit month and day, and then the db.etree shnid and then what type of folder it is.  

Why complain about getting shitloads of free music anyway?
-AD_

Anonymous

Then I think it's up to the people seeding the torrents to delete them after they've been dead for a long time. There are torrents over a year old.
I didnt mean to come off in such a bad way. I appreciate all the music I've gotten from the week4paug crew, and I understand where you're coming from. Maybe this will be an issue for bt.etree at some point.

guyforget

What purpose does deleting them serve?  How does torrents that are over a year old being still up on bt.etree affect you in any way?  The default search option is to show only torrents with seeders, so its not like your searches are turning up thousands of dead torrents...   I dont see why it matters, unless youre providing disc space and databases for bt.etree, which I know youre not....  

I agree that if it were my discspace and databses I would parse out torrents that hadnt had a seed in however long.  Apparantly bt.etree.org doesnt have a problem with old torrents piling up, and maybe theres even a reason that they dont parse out the old ones.  I dunno...
-AD_

mattstick

Quote from: trailmixThen I think it's up to the people seeding the torrents to delete them after they've been dead for a long time. There are torrents over a year old.
I didnt mean to come off in such a bad way. I appreciate all the music I've gotten from the week4paug crew, and I understand where you're coming from. Maybe this will be an issue for bt.etree at some point.

Nothing negative assumed, both guyforget and I have discussed this in the past - I was just asking questions that I ask myself...

ucusty

luckymcd23

might be slightly off topic, but could someone reseed 12/31/92 at etree for me? i was dowloading it before all the problems there, got to 60% but now all the seeders are gone.