News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Your Favorite Little Known Movie

Started by mbw, April 28, 2010, 11:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

sweet.  i don't think i've ever seen any of these.  going on the queue.

mistercharlie

Quote from: birdman on April 29, 2010, 05:47:33 PM
Gummo

I hated that movie, it made me feel sick all over.  :shakehead:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

birdman

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 29, 2010, 06:24:08 PM
Quote from: birdman on April 29, 2010, 05:47:33 PM
Gummo

I hated that movie, it made me feel sick all over.  :shakehead:

Thats why I like it. Pretty disturbing.

On a side note, this movie was filmed in East Nashville while I was living down there. The black midget lived nearby and used to hang out and pound beers with us while we rode our halfpipe. Also, the director and Cloe Soveigny visited our place and bought a bag off my roommate. I remember "Kids" had just come out, we thought we has bonafied stars at our pad :roll:
Paug FTMFW!

G. Augusto

Quote from: Hicks on April 29, 2010, 05:50:36 PM
Quote from: G. Augusto on April 29, 2010, 05:13:19 PM

"I'd shoot up and then go for a ten mile run.  Sure I was a junkie, but I was an L.A. junkie and had to stay in shape."

Wheat grass....wheat grass...

Mr Minor

Quote from: G. Augusto on April 29, 2010, 06:35:54 PM
Quote from: Hicks on April 29, 2010, 05:50:36 PM
Quote from: G. Augusto on April 29, 2010, 05:13:19 PM

"I'd shoot up and then go for a ten mile run.  Sure I was a junkie, but I was an L.A. junkie and had to stay in shape."

Wheat grass....wheat grass...

Great flick.  I have the memior, too.  Scary and interesting.  And Alf.  WTF?

mattstick

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

westcider

Fantastic Planet aka La Planete Sauvage

justjezmund

its known but not by many i know.  worth a watch if youve never seen it.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

runawaytimj

Quote from: westcider on May 02, 2010, 10:47:46 AM

Nice!!  This one is awesome and also kind of terrifying!  I bought my friend a blue shirt with red "Om" eyes for his birthday.

Igbo

Quote from: westcider on May 02, 2010, 10:47:46 AM

Great soundtrack by Alain Gorageur!!!

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Superfreakie on April 29, 2010, 04:13:38 PM
Wicked awesome movie.

That movie is completely awesome.  "Now we do heroin".

cactusfan

i coud write for days on this topic.
if anyone wants recommendations of specific genres or eras or directors, just let me know.

a random assortment that come to mind:

Seconds, John Frankenheimer's extremely weird and disturbing follow-up to the also brilliant Manchurian Candidate, both from the '60s. if you like the Twilight Zone, you will very much dig Seconds.

House of Games, the first movie written and directed by David Mamet, and i think his best. a sneaky little story of con men and a woman they con.

After Hours, from '85. after Martin Scorsese's life and career went in the toilet, he went back to basics with this low-budget flick set in NYC. very weird and funny.

The Apartment, '60. Billy Wilder's masterpiece, about a lowly guy, Jack Lemmon, who lets people use his apartment for romantic trysts. see where jim carrey stole his entire bag of comedy tricks.

you've all seen Being There by director Hal Ashby, i hope, what with its inspring use of deodata's 2001. you should also check out Ashby's other brilliant movies: Shampoo, Harold & Maude, and The Last Detail.

The Holy Mountain, by Jodorowsky. this is one insanely weird film. brilliantly insanely weird. in part funded by John Lennon, who was amazed by Jodorsky's previous and also weird and great movie El Topo.

Gallipoli, by Peter Weir, starring a very young and unknown Mel Gibson (from '81). about two aussies who eventually make their way into the army in WWI. this and The Road Warrior are Mel's best movies. though also of note from this same era and also directed by Weir is The Year of Living Dangerously.

i also love American Movie. speaking of documentaries, check out from the '80s Sherman's March, which is hilarious. about a guy ostensibly making a doc about General Sherman's march to the sea, but really about the filmmaker's equally scorched earth love life.

another doc, The Thin Blue Line, Errol Morris' early masterpiece. this changed the way docs were made. about a man wrongly put on death row. the movie caused the case to be re-opened and the man set free. with a great soundtrack by Philip Glass.

The Sweet Smell of Success, with Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis. funny and sleazy with biting dialogue, a really twisted movie from the '50s, deeply evil. i guarantee you will need a shower and a big glass of whiskey after watching it.

Touch of Evil, Orson Welles' evil sleazy noir from the '50s. you'll also want whiskey to go with this one. opens with one of the most famous continuous single shots in film history. and features, rather improbably, Charleton Heston playing a mexican cop.

Andy Kaufman: I'm From Hollywood. Kaufman at one point in his career decided to give up comedy and be a pro wrestler. or maybe it was all an act. maybe his whole life was an act. nobody ever figured that out. no matter, this movie is insane and funny as fuck.

A Boy And His Dog, twisted sci-fi from '75 starring Don Johnson well before his miami vice days. based on a Harlan Ellison novella.

Hicks

Is that how you talk in Memphis Tennessee?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

DeviousGelatin

...what?? You know awesome when you see it.   :rawk:
"He's sittin at the piano, lookin' sharp. He's a guy, who looks sharp at the piano."  --Trey Anastasio, 'Ode to Page's New Shirt'