News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Stylus

Started by Multibeast12, May 26, 2010, 04:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Multibeast12

I was wondering if any stylus will fit any turntable or do i have to get a special kind. Because i think it's time to change mine.

Hicks

If you buy the whole headshell + cartridge it is fairly universal.

Just the stylus not so much, but the most common kind is called a "p mount" and looks like this:

In any case if you can let me know what you have (turntable and current cartridge) I can give you a more definitive answer and suggestions.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Multibeast12

I have an Ion TTUSB05. Thats the table. I have no idea what the cartridge is.

Hicks

But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Multibeast12

Thank you. I'll prolly get that one. But would another one work or should i just get that?

Hicks

Quote from: Multibeast12 on May 26, 2010, 06:02:55 PM
Thank you. I'll prolly get that one. But would another one work or should i just get that?

You're gonna get the Grado?   Wow big spenda.

nab

Quote from: Hicks on May 26, 2010, 06:36:02 PM

I rock this Grado.  Good enough for my purposes.

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=GRADGRNSTD

postjack

if you just want to get a new stylus get the one pie guy posted since it is the same thing you have now.  I changed the stylus on my AT440MLa and it was fairly easy, with a bit of dexterity so you don't mash the needle of course. Just pop off and pop on. This of course also avoids the nightmare of realigning a new cartridge.  Having said that, if you do want to upgrade you need to buy an entire new cartridge and then set it up. I'm good at doing this with my current TT but it took me a year of practice and countless hours of frustration to get to where I can have a cart up and running in less then an hour (this doesn't count tweaking afterwards).

Also, what makes you think its time for a new stylus? you having channel drop outs?

I like the budget Grados, but they all sound a bit wooly. Over time their sound signature always wears on me (I have a Grado Silver p-mount on my secondary vinyl rig, but in the past I've run Grado Platinum, Grado Sonata HO and Grado Sonata LO).
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

Multibeast12

I was thinking about it because i was told it's good to change it every so often and i've had the same one for like 2 years.

rowjimmy

Quote from: nab on May 26, 2010, 08:52:18 PM
Quote from: Hicks on May 26, 2010, 06:36:02 PM

I rock this Grado.  Good enough for my purposes.

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=GRADGRNSTD

I have one of those on the shelf as I rock a Stanton CS100...

Hicks

Quote from: postjack on May 26, 2010, 09:16:33 PM

if you just want to get a new stylus get the one pie guy posted since it is the same thing you have now. 

huh?