News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/27 - MPP - Columbia, MD - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Tomapella, June 27, 2010, 11:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alumni

I'm glad that alphapig had a sweet stream going. I heard a few seconds of the crap I was sending out. wtf? all sorts of problems going on. Oh well. Was worth a shot.

Dear Phish,
Why do you hate me?
Sincerely,
MPP

Dear Phish,
Thanks. We're good now.
-MPP
Cause I got a degree

Superfreakie

Quote from: Alumni on June 28, 2010, 02:00:04 AM
I'm glad that alphapig had a sweet stream going. I heard a few seconds of the crap I was sending out. wtf? all sorts of problems going on. Oh well. Was worth a shot.

Dear Phish,
Why do you hate me?
Sincerely,
MPP

Dear Phish,
Thanks. We're good now.
-MPP

:-D awesome.

dude, don't apologize for sharts. Last year, we stomached through sharts that I still am amazed I sat through. As someone said in the LST, this is like listening to Hendrix aud boots from back in the day.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

whatapiper

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

redrum

The Other Mike Gordon Band played the Ghost song @ MPP2.

& sum other fun stuffs
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: whatapiper on June 28, 2010, 03:20:08 AM
Damn, what did I miss?
And the ghost shows itself.  Looks awesome on paper, can't wait to give her a listen.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mistercharlie

Quote from: redrum on June 28, 2010, 03:23:20 AM
The Other Mike Gordon Band

Love it. Best name for Phish ever, even better than when they used to be to original Classic TAB.

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mattstick

Trey's out of tune riffery in Piper is not pleasant on the ears.

rowjimmy

I liked that Gin & Antelope with B&R teases in the intro...

willsteele

Thinking they rushed through the beginnings of Piper so that they could get to the wicked awesome jam.

Can't wait to listen to this on a proper source.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

rowjimmy

I'm not generally one to complain about the transitions/segues but dudes, the ">" from Meatstick into I Saw it Again is tranwreck'd

Marmar

The Piper is about the only good thing with this show.....and even that is kinda, meh?...took 9 minutes to get to the interesting groove, and then FREE WILLY!!!!....wtf... :roll:  then the groove gets left in the dust for the '99 Trey lick.....it's almost as if they couldn't decide as a group which way the groove should go.....the 12min mark, wtf? that should have been the groove the WHOLE time....way to screw the pooch boys!

The Ghost @ 9 minutes in length is pathetic....

Mellow Mood is nice....the Gin is standard fare, boring jam though......Saw it again, I hope I never.....Jumpin Jack Flash is jumping like an amputee.....My Soul......

Shit all it needed is a Tweezer and it wouldda been a show chock full 'o hate from me.

This one gets one thumb up, one thumb down from me.
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Tomapella

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 28, 2010, 09:49:33 AM
I'm not generally one to complain about the transitions/segues but dudes, the ">" from Meatstick into I Saw it Again is tranwreck'd

Yeah, I originally had that as ~>, really messy fo sho.  Still excited to listen to this set, though.

VDB

Had a whirlwind of an epic weekend in MD. Got up at 4:30 this morning to catch our flight back. So here are just some initial, sleep-deprived impressions:

Walfredo - Cute. Home-town shout-out. Page even provides a capable drum fill or two.
Mellow Mood - Great summertime "opener."
Stealing Time - I like this song. So there.
Divided Sky - Fine.
Tela - Treat.
My Soul - Rock out. The old lady likes this one too.
Ginseng Sullivan - Yes, thank you.
Sample - I swear Trey took the outro solo out further than I've heard it done before. For whatever that's worth.
Bathtub Gin - On fire. It looked as if Trey was shaking his hands out afterwards, as though to chase the pain of the preceding shreddage. Slow it down with
Brian and Robert
Antelope - Feisty.

Wilson - It was fine. No big set-opening jammer, I guess.
Meatstick - Didn't see this coming right here. Admirably jammed; this was no throwaway Meatstick. It's around this point in the show when I start to imagine what it must be like for people down front and center who are tripping their balls off. I like to think about how they would be reacting to the music. Japanese lyrics here would have seemed wild, I'm sure. Sounded like they were starting to go somewhere, the beat changes then it falls out and Trey is strumming the opening to
Saw It Again - At the time the transition sounded like it might have been a little rough. Will listen again before passing judgment on why/how. Anyway this was a real mean little piece of psychedelia played underneath the repetitively intoned refrain. Again I think to my hypothetical psychonaut in the pavilion and he's probably shared shitless about now. As things die down along comes
Piper - Need to hear this again. It sounded like there was a lot going on. Like the band kept changing ideas, rapidly. Honestly I can't tell you at this moment how well it worked.
Ghost - I can tell you I thought there was a good chance we'd hear this tonight. Very early on in the jam Mike (who sounded awesome all night, by the way) develops a little idea and they rage on that for a while then right into
Jumpin Jack Flash - Can't quite comment on the quality of this performance. It was fun and novel to see. The end dropped into some mean psychadelic shit and back for a reprise of
Saw It Again - Fun to see these quite capable transitions.
Contact - This is off Junta. So I like it.
YEM - Surely did not expect this. Thought it had been played too recently. But this was especially welcome since right before the show we had picked up from the airport a friend who's living overseas now, and with whom I had gone to see all my first shows years ago. He doesn't really listen to Phish these days but wanted to come to the show and see some folks. He mentioned wanting them to play YEM and I said I doubted they would. And they did anyway. Jumpin Jack Flash teases in the jam were cool. Drums and bass = badass. And the vocal jam was actually very well done. Like actual, real jamming in there, including the anticipated Saw It Again references.
Fire - If curfew's 11 then they were already about 10 minutes past that so I figured this would be a quick encore.

All in all I had a great time. Got to see some other friends I don't see much these days including some guys I'd not seen in years. Looking very much forward to revisiting some of these major jams (Gin, Piper, Ghost) and the 2nd set overall.

Oh yeah, and we got to see the Orioles beat the Nationals earlier in the day. So take that, Nationals fans.
Is this still Wombat?

mehead

giving this my 1st listen and almost had to get off the tracks...ouch!
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

danje

Trey actually put his hand up and apologized to either Mike or Fish after it happened, which made me laugh.