News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/03 - VWA at Encore Park - Alpharetta, GA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Undermind, July 03, 2010, 11:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 04, 2010, 12:15:38 PM
So upon sobering up (... relatively) and listening to some of the show, I've determined that last night wasn't quite as awesome playing as I thought (go figure)

nans
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

ph92

Quote from: Alumni on July 04, 2010, 12:37:50 PM
Quote from: phishhead92 on July 04, 2010, 12:29:09 PM
So upon sobering up (... relatively) and listening to some of the show, I've determined that last night wasn't quite as awesome playing as I thought (go figure)

The tweezer and slave were still pretty phenomenal, my favorite versions seen of each. But most of the rest of the show is sloppy whale call central.

Word of advice, don't listen to this Hood followed by the NYE 95 Reba like I did last night.  It boggles the mind.
yeah compared to the old stuff, i ususally take "it was great" with a grain of salt, just cause 94,95 is so much better :-D

how bout that gin? is that good to your "sober" ears :-D

It doesn't help matters that SuperFreakie just uploaded that sweet Went FOB.  :-P

i know right, i must admit, i was listening to those FOBs and got a little angry i dont have all the shows atm, (dan has my hd, my old one died :cry: so i lost ALL (well most) of my phish)
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

Tomapella

Just listening now that, at 5PM, I'm finally fully awake.  Great Sunday :-P

Gonna listen up to the point where I jumped on last night.

Skipped C0, I'm not too sorry to say.  I'm pretty sick of that tune.  Destiny was a good "opener", and it's still rare enough so people are really pumped when it comes out.

Rift had some really sloppy moments (the two notes that Trey farts out at the beginning of his solo especially made me cringe), but the Phish Trio was TIGHT!  The rhythm section being on is really what makes the tune click for me, and especially if you listen to Page's solo, they're right there.

McGrupp - so I guess that leaves us with just TMWSIY and Forbin>Mockingbird left for Gamehendge tunes.  Yeah, definitely some rough spots, and the composed sections sound pretty hesitantly played.  Still a good tune to hear every once in a while, but I hope they work on it some before the next time they play it at Deer Creek :wink:

Gin - Definitely gets to a rockin spot for a bit.  Loads of whales, Mike is going crazy.  Basically 3.0 jamming encapsulated.

Mountains In The Mist is Mountains In The Mist.  I listen to this so infrequently that I gotta give it a chance, but man, slow tune.  Oh god, the start of Trey's solo.  Playing a good solo on a ballad really is one of the hardest things, and this is a good demonstration of that.  Sounds like they just meant it as a cool down, but talk about an energy killer.

NICU - Trying to get it back with this one, and this is where I started listening.  Damn it Trey, the ending isn't that hard, if I can play it you can too.

rowjimmy

Tweezer > Slave is money.

Any complaints about the show end here.

spaced

Word of advice, don't listen to this Hood followed by the NYE 95 Reba like I did last night.  It boggles the mind.

Wow, I threw that exact show on after the LST last night - the Mike's Groove, not the Reba, but still. Going from sharts to that was  :-o

Tomapella

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 04, 2010, 06:02:38 PM

For sure, one of the best segments so far this year, I'd say.

sophist

the Phish
2010/07/03
Verizon Wireless Amp. @ Encore Park
Alpharetta, GA

We got into Atlanta from Charlotte around 1ish.  We picked up some beer and got to pregaming for the show.  We were still riding the wave of excitement from Charlotte's show.  We had a late start at getting to the lot, and by the time we got to the lot it was quite a scene.  A near free for all.  I was shocked at how the local police were letting the fans be in their element.  Huge fucking shakedown was set up.  Everyone was tailgating.  The lot was just popping. 

We chilled out for a bit on the lot and made some necessary meet ups.  We headed in relatively early.  I had a pit ticket for this show but elected to rage the lawn with my buddy, his sister, WTU, Jphishman, and Miamiphish.  We were center on the lawn and in the very back of the lawn.  The sound was fine up there.  Good viewpoint too. 

Character Zero opener?  Odd.  I'll admit I was a little disappointed with this song selection.  I nodded along to it, but really I was waiting to see what they had in store for us.  Destiny Unbound followed and my expectations were heightened.  This was my first Destiny.  Solid version.  Next came Rift, good version as well. 

McGrupp!  Holy shit.  Now we were talking Phish.  Yes! Loved hearing this, and it was a solid version.  Gin followed and was easily the highlight of the set.  I know some people were bitching about the length, but this one raged hard.  Lot of energy from the band and crowd for this version.  Mountains in the Mist was a much needed breather at this juncture.  NICU followed and was a standard version, it got the crowd rocking.  Gumbo was funky, but a little short.  My Sweet One was solid as well.  They felt a little rushed with the tempo of this version.  Stealing Time followed.  Solid version.  Strange Design was a nice treat.  Then came another highlight for me, Sanity!  Awesome.  I was pumped to hear this tune again.  It didn't have the mind fucking impact of the Hampton version, but it still fucking rocked.  Antelope closed out the set.  Solid version in my opinion. 

:wtu: and I decide we are gonna pav it for the second set.  So after a coule failz at trying to get into the pit, we secure good pav seats.  We settle in for the second set, and jokingly discuss how tonight's Alpharetta jam "will be fire."  Sure enough the Rock n' Roll opener had us laughing at calling "Alpharetta jam."  However, this version of Rock n' Roll was a mild train wreck in my opinion.  Trey forces two sections of the jam.  the typical 3.0 jam (where they get funky as Trey comps chords) and then the horrendous segue into Caspian.  Caspian in the second spot?  No good imo.  So the set was off to a horrible set imo.  However, something happens, they jam Caspian, and it falls into this delay loop like jam.  Some interesting ideas in that jam.  Redemption comes with Tweezer.  Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn.  Sick version of Tweezer.  I turned to  :wtu: at one point and told him that I felt this is what Trey wanted out of the mpp version since he used that same delay effect to accent chords while the rest of the band played around this idea. 

The segue into Slave was butter.  Killer slave too.  So the set had made a 180 at this point in my opinion.  Bouncing was well placed to me, and I happily belted out the words to it.  Possum was well placed too.  Solid version.  # Line followed, and within the venue they brilliantly captured the dynamics of the tune, getting really quite before taking the jam to a soaring peak.  Pretty powerful version to me.  It def lacked the experimentation of other versions.  Hood followed.  Solid version from what I remember.  Loving Cup closed the set.  meh.  But it works I suppose. 

Sleeping Monkey > Tweezprise Encore. 

Solid.  The place was rocking during tweezeprise. 

Overall another good show.  I left the show thinking that Charlotte was better, and I still hold that opinion now.  But they played well on night one of the run. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

mistercharlie

This Tweezer is F'n RAWSOME!!!! Trey plays that '97 superbad lick and the few whales are well used. Best song of '10? It's in the race.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

JPhishman

Quote from: sophist on July 04, 2010, 12:45:01 PM

nans

:laugh:
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

WhatstheUse?

This Tweeer was serious hotness, right?  At least the original funk groove that they start off with?

I can't wait to relisten.....
Bring in the dude!

Multibeast12

Just listened to at work. Thought it was a pretty solid show. I dug that Tweezer a lot. Cool stuff goin on.

Caravan2001

This show is sick....finally got around to listen to it.....the first set is hawt...the destiny is great (even the zero is solid in it's fresh slot) and the set takes off from there.....mcgrupp, gumbo, gin, even mountains is played well...Sanity rules!  The Rock and Roll is insane, and the jam after Caspian is killer.....the composed part of Tweezer is bad ass, and then jam, after a little whale, starts to really wail......the Slave is pimp too, I LOVE when Trey just holds that note in the jam...he holds that shit for like a minute, xtra dope.....This show gets the Caravan seal of approval....Now I just need to hear the night before to complete my listening of the tour...I still have not heard Fuck Your face  :-o :-o :-o :-o

mistercharlie

This can't be embiggened enough!! Tweezer -> Slave is the best stuff we've heard this year!!!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 08, 2010, 12:58:12 AM

This can't be embiggened enough!! Tweezer -> Slave is the best stuff we've heard this year!!!

YES!

I haven't had a chance to relisten since that night, but I remember this Tweezer being serious business.  Once it got to the standard 3.0 rawk, my interest began to wain, but the initial funk groove is bad ass!!!!

And this Slave has got to be the best one of 3.0 yet.  Like I explained briefly in my post-show review, this Slave hit me like a ton of bricks.  All the thoughts of tour, friendships, music, and fun that I had just experienced all flashed before my eyes -- other thoughts of sadness about it all coming to an end, and the dreadful thoughts of daunting reality, school, and work hit me too.  Like I said, one of the most beautifully, intense experiences of my life.  I was in tears for almost the entirety of the jam.  Thank goodness Bouncin' brought me back to reality cuz things were starting to get deep.....
Bring in the dude!

VDB

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 08, 2010, 01:14:12 AM

I haven't had a chance to relisten since that night, but I remember this Tweezer being serious business.  Once it got to the standard 3.0 rawk, my interest began to wain, but the initial funk groove is bad ass!!!!

Funny, I thought the rock peak might have been the best part of this jam. (I'm also a sucker for rock peaks, but a discerning one, I like to think.) A smattering of Type II in there, perhaps. At the time I even half-expected something like Walk Away to come out of it, but a lack of absolute sobriety could have contributed to that.
Is this still Wombat?