News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

GDead Thread

Started by VA $l!m, August 26, 2005, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Dude.
4/16/78 ownez
I have been pimping that show, especially the Scarlet>Fire for well over 10 years.

Be sure to check the night before, 4/15/78 @ William & Mary. That Morning Dew rates as one of the all-time bestest.

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 07, 2005, 09:05:44 AM
Dude.
4/16/78 ownez
I have been pimping that show, especially the Scarlet>Fire for well over 10 years.

Be sure to check the night before, 4/15/78 @ William & Mary. That Morning Dew rates as one of the all-time bestest.

nobody listens to me!!
  :wink:

i know i mentioned that show at least once or twice on this thread already...
one of my late 70s favs hands down..."--i smell GOOD bud!"(Phil)

Funny you mention it too, cause i just dropped a reprimand over on the archive forum, for an extensive  scarlet>fire thread that didnt have a mention of 4-16.

PS. i've listed before that 4-12> 4-16 is a great run. I picked up all 4 shows...no dropoff in level of energy throughout.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

sls.stormyrider

I can't comment on 4-16. I was at 4-18 (my first show). don't bother with that one.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VA $l!m

Quote from: slslbs on October 07, 2005, 10:11:22 PM
I can't comment on 4-16. I was at 4-18 (my first show). don't bother with that one.

that's so weird , i was gonna include that show in what i consider to be that "run"...
Obviously as i found that i loved this stretch so much, i headed to the next night to see whassup, and Yes, i would not "recommend" the archive copy , owing to the quality of the recording, BUT dude SLSLBS i hope your not down on this show performance wise, i love it and think it is on par w/ the previous 4 nights.
Shit, your the man(PS. i hate you :wink:) Scarlet>dancin!?!?!!, last time something besides fire followed scarlet for like 100 times or somethin'.  and the 1st set is ssssmokin'!!
I actually have a High tolerance for "bad" SBDs , so i took cuts from the 1st set, and the scarlet>dancin' and put them as filler on disc 2 of 4-14.  ......actually the AUd. recording on the archive isnt that shabby either.

PS i hate you :wink:, wait i already said that...anyway count your lucky stars, cause i don't care how good a quality recording there is of  My first show, at least you don't have to apply a 'vince filter'!!(-maybe a donna dampiner, i dunno :lol:)

ROCK on !! SH--!!  Scarlet>dancin'...well bottom line is i really love these shows, and i was just thinking the other day  when we were talking JGB , how march>april 78 jerry is on fire, IMO.  i def. prefer these shows over late 77, even though people talk up nov 77 a lot, i think early 78 is waaaay overlooked as a "great" period.

sls.stormyrider

Allright, allright. I will have to give it another listen. My memory may be clouded by where my head was at the time.
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VA $l!m

sorry, my jealousies proceed me. :lol:

Gumbo72203

for 68's, i highly suggest 12-7   real good sound, classic Dark Saint Eleven run
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

sls.stormyrider

Well Slim, I listened to 4/18/78 again. I think it ranges from good to very good. Highlights are Sugaree and Dire Wolf, followed closely by LRR, Loser.
The 2nd set didn't kill me. I thought the Scarlet jam was OK (none of us at the time knew it was historic). Dancin was good, drums were loooong (and I'm a drummer), Terrapin was OK
This is kinda the way I felt when I was there.

timing is funny. If I was 5 yrs older, I would have seen them at my school (they were at Allegheny college 4/71)

You don't REALLY hate me, now, do you?

VA $l!m

i think you nailed the review of that show. pretty much excatly what i thought. 1st set was hot. scarlet> dancin' was 'good' the rest of the show was average, i thought terrapin was lacking.  hard to get a complete read  on the show w/ the lacking overall quality of the recording.
But within the context of the previous 4 nights i think the scarlet dancin' is more interesting just for placement/selection>>> b/c of the 4-16's amazing scarlet>fire, and 4-14s amzing dancin.

& no of course i don't really hate you. :-) honestly, its great just to chat w/ someone that witnessed  a  part of such a great run. 8-)

PS. drums in 78 are typically , and sometimes unbearably loooonggg.

ON a completely different note, after tearing through ~300 discs, i am taking a break (untill i get a job probably) , so now i can finally try and listen to all the stuff i've been burning.
-slim.

rowjimmy

Quote from: VA slim on October 08, 2005, 08:46:26 PM
PS. drums in 78 are typically , and sometimes unbearably loooonggg.
-slim.

The downfall of the much revered RedRocks 78.

VA $l!m

RANDOM REC.s//hidden GEMS:

5-7-72, england: *Discs 3 & 4 ONLY* --i've mentioned this before, but after another listen had to mention again
--skip the first two discs as they are shitty audience, but discs 3 & 4 are good quality SBD. , and the DARK STAR> Other one is a masterpiece. Really top notch stuff. Well constucted and fluid DStar, followed by a Very powerful Other One...this other one really suprised me-- maybe mistakenly overlooked in light of other versions from 72---CHeck it out!!

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=12424

6-14-68, fillmore east, NYC: First fillmore east show, *Disclaimer*-Hard core heads only need apply. this is a debatebly "iffey" audience source, but to the "trained" ear this is some seriously heavy stuff.--Personally, i can filter through the quality of the recording since jerry  is loud and up front--and thats what matters.--though i wouldn't recommend listening to the mp3 stream on headphones--if possible just DL the lossless and burn 1 cd if you can spare it to give it a proper listen. 
Check out this setlist:
  'Feedback>the Eleven>St. Stephen, Alligator>Lovelight>Caution>drums>Caution>Feedback'
Any set that opens and closes with feedback, deserves a serious listen in my book, let alone the 1st show at arguebly the best Dead venue ever.
The quality might scare off most, but they are seriously missing out, because this cd is the one out of the 400 or so i've burned in the last few months that i've given multiple listens...IMO, -and it is hard to say b/c of the quality, but this might be an all time best show, if the shredding that jerry does throughout is an indication...seriously some of the best guitar i've ever heard. Highly recommended for taking some time out to give a good listen to this enire set. :mrgreen:

VA $l!m

just one more today; I'm really enjoying this show right now:

9-11-74. alexandria palace- london, england

if you like space , you need this show, if you don't-- stay away.
but besides the abundance of sick spacey jams, there is an overall sweetness of sound, similar to where they would head in 76, in this show...
this is also one of the shows used on dicks picks , and the other night from london is great as well but the quality is not as good, and the 9-11 has a matrix mix which is near perfect quality IMO.

check it out:   http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=13297

Gumbo72203

5-7-72 is definitely DANK.  right on about discs 3 and 4, those are all you would ever need for this show.  i mean, like.. just think about it: Dark Star>The Other One    its not like the (IMO) fairly weak Dark Star>The Other One>Dark Star from New Years 78, Closing of Winterland. 

i donno about you guys, but after getting into the Dead now im finding that i like 77 probably the most, followed by 68.  Im very fond of the pre-80s post hiatus stuff and everything from the late 60's, especially because, to me, this seems like the era where the boys really fuckin rocked hard and played with a lot more intensity and power than they would the rest of their career, which is DEFINITELY not to say they didnt have that forever afterwards, but the late 60's just have this very rawww fast shredding feel... especially Jerry's guitar tone throughout this era.  his Les Paul sound is easily my favorite tone ever of his... its just so raw and ripping and fuckin shredding but like its still wicked clean.  im guessing thats due to simply the cranking of their amps.... but yeah.  im done.  haha
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

VA $l!m

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on October 13, 2005, 05:07:53 PM
5-7-72 is definitely DANK.  right on about discs 3 and 4, those are all you would ever need for this show.  i mean, like.. just think about it: Dark Star>The Other One    its not like the (IMO) fairly weak Dark Star>The Other One>Dark Star from New Years 78, Closing of Winterland. 

i donno about you guys, but after getting into the Dead now im finding that i like 77 probably the most, followed by 68.  Im very fond of the pre-80s post hiatus stuff and everything from the late 60's, especially because, to me, this seems like the era where the boys really fuckin rocked hard and played with a lot more intensity and power than they would the rest of their career, which is DEFINITELY not to say they didnt have that forever afterwards, but the late 60's just have this very rawww fast shredding feel... especially Jerry's guitar tone throughout this era.  his Les Paul sound is easily my favorite tone ever of his... its just so raw and ripping and fuckin shredding but like its still wicked clean.  im guessing thats due to simply the cranking of their amps.... but yeah.  im done.  haha

it is really cool to see you getting into this stuff gumbo.
the -'raw fast shredding feel' you describe from the late 60's is what most call "primal dead". Intensity & Ferocity are another two words i would use...

and i also hear what you are saying about the similarity in -'straight rockin' energies from the late 60s and late 70s...
if this is your cup of tea, i would highly suggest some of the early '78 shows perviously mentioned on this thread , such as 4-12, 15, & 16 -78 and maybe slighlty less the fall 79 shows mentioned _i.e.: 10-25, 27...>11.9 -79.
Especially the early 78 stuff should be right up your alley.  IMO, this is "rock-star" dead.  ALong with the crispy 'loud' mix of the betty boards from this era, there is a very straight forward hard rockin' approach to the songs that can really deliver a knockout blow.
...prime example might be the US Blues encore from 4-12-78...GO>>>take a listen:
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=11966

VA $l!m

BTW., ijust thought i'd post that i went back and updated a bunch of my previous recommendations on this thread w/ appropriate links for shows to the archive.......don't ask why i didn't list them originally. :mrgreen:

SliM