News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Boardwalk Empire

Started by ytowndan, July 26, 2010, 03:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gainesvillegreen

Goddamn it.
Goddamn this show, and its want of snuffing out its best characters.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

mbw

Fuck I fucking hated that episode.

ytowndan

The beginning of this season bored the crap out of me.  I stopped watching around the halfway point.  I finally decided to get caught up, and I stand by my original thoughts on this season - it suffered from trying to do too much.

Also,

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on November 24, 2013, 10:03:33 PM
Goddamn it.
Goddamn this show, and its want of snuffing out its best characters.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

JPhishman

That Eli scene was ser biz. Pretty raw. Made me slightly uncomfortable, which is a good thing.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

mbw

Quote from: JPhishman on November 26, 2013, 08:26:44 PM
That Eli scene was ser biz. Pretty raw. Made me slightly uncomfortable, which is a good thing.

that was the best part of the season.  i assume you mean the fight with knox?

i agree with dan, felt this season kinda blew.  i do like that they didn't wrap the season up nicely in a bow like they have done in the past.
pretty much everything is fucked.

so much of this season made no sense.  how did richard and julia get custody of tommy anyway?  gillian was an unfit mother because she ran a whore house, but it is perfectly fine to give custody to a guy who kidnapped him and slaughtered like 50 dudes?
the set-up of gillian?  lol.  so this detective went through like a year courtship so he could pretend to kill a guy to get her to confess and have his pinkerton buddies there at the exact time to hear her confession?  please.
why the fuck was knox present when nucky was going to execute lansky?  i know they didnt know he was FBI by he was still a gov't agent even if he was on the payroll.

the show is running out of people to care about.  besides the gangsters, who if you know the history, almost all survive for quite a while, and are the least interesting characters. i don't really give a fuck about narcisse.  who is left to care about?  i guess chalky and van alden.  they are probably both on next seasons chopping block.

mbw

In memoriam to the greatest hitman in the history of tv/movies/whatever

Quote from: mbw on December 03, 2012, 09:23:50 AM
YES!

RIP

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: mbw on November 26, 2013, 08:51:44 PM
Quote from: JPhishman on November 26, 2013, 08:26:44 PM
the set-up of gillian?  lol.  so this detective went through like a year courtship so he could pretend to kill a guy to get her to confess and have his pinkerton buddies there at the exact time to hear her confession?  please.

I agree, Gillian has been wasting screen time. The only poignant moment for her all season was the scene between her, Richard, and Tommy at the end of the series.  In which, I may point out the obvious, she was saying goodbye anyhow, it adds nothing that she sits in jail now.

Tommy and Gillian notwithstanding, Richard was the last link to Jimmy in the series, and perhaps that is vicarious, but it was an important link. So much could have been done with that character precisely because he was ahistorical, to mbw's point, I still feel they threw away a rare opportunity with Richard rather than cashing his role in like they did.

Willy feels like a cheap Jimmy to me.

I thought one of the few highlights of the season was Patricia Arquette. Lots to pick apart and spit on, but she was one in the plus column imo. Florida also got tiresome, but her role always felt fresh to me.

Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

ytowndan

Has there been any recent references to what year they're in now?  I know they've jumped some time in between previous seasons.  Anyhow, the reason I ask is, could they be getting close to ending the series?  If so, that may be why they're getting rid of the ahistorical characters.  So they can begin to wrap up the historical plot. 

An interesting way to end the series, IMO, would be during the ratification process of the 21st amendment (or immediately after).  Kind of a bookend to when/where the series began.  The first of the major "conventions" was held at the Ritz in AC (hosted by the real life Nucky) right around that time.  The major topic was supposedly what direction they should head in since prohibition was nearing its end.  I think it would be a cool way to bring the story full circle (and illustrate the monster that prohibition created). 

But, the reason I bring all that up is because I think they kind of hinted at it with the feds wanting Eli to set up a "meeting of the bosses."  I think they want that idea to stick around in your head.  Anyhow, maybe I'm reading way too much into that.

mbw

so, this season blows, right?

that last episode really pissed me off.

ytowndan

Quote from: mbw on October 17, 2014, 07:00:56 PM
so, this season blows, right?

that last episode really pissed me off.

I think I made it about three episodes in.  Maybe only two, now that I think about it. 

Bored me to tears. 

I figured that I'd just wait until it's all over and binge watch the rest of it (assuming I can).  I just can't keep watching on a week-by-week basis.  It just doesn't hold my interest anymore.   :-(

Buffalo Budd

You guys are nuts, this week's episode was awesome.  You can tell it's building to a serious finish.
And Terry, you must mean it pissed you off cause they're killing off key characters, right?
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mbw

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on October 17, 2014, 07:48:38 PM
You guys are nuts, this week's episode was awesome.  You can tell it's building to a serious finish.
And Terry, you must mean it pissed you off cause they're killing off key characters.

no, it sucked.  and yes, without giving too much away.
the way the one or more characters went out sucked, all that build up over how many seasons to end like that.

this season is a snooze fest.  you can tell the budget is out the window.
there are like 3 sets the entire season has taken place on.
i.e. we have never seen al capone out of his office.  they probably shot his entire story line this season in a day in that room.

the jump to the future sucked too.  no death of rothstein, no valentines day massacre, etc.
the real rise of al capone was left out completely.
but everyone else has stayed almost the exact same after 7 years.
nucky as a kid?  don't care.
margaret?  really don't care.

I have enjoyed the story with Joe Kennedy, however, and the dead ringer they got to play him.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: mbw on October 17, 2014, 07:58:06 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on October 17, 2014, 07:48:38 PM
And Terry, you must mean it pissed you off cause they're killing off key characters.

no, it sucked.  and yes, without giving too much away.
the way the one or more characters went out sucked, all that build up over how many seasons to end like that.

this season is a snooze fest.  you can tell the budget is out the window.
there are like 3 sets the entire season has taken place on.
i.e. we have never seen al capone out of his office.  they probably shot his entire story line this season in a day in that room.

the jump to the future sucked too.  no death of rothstein, no valentines day massacre, etc.
the real rise of al capone was left out completely.
but everyone else has stayed almost the exact same after 7 years.
nucky as a kid?  don't care.
margaret?  really don't care.

I have enjoyed the story with Joe Kennedy, however, and the dead ringer they got to play him.

I agree on Margaret but I appreciate them trying to show how Nucky became the man he is now.
I also agree they have obviously had to trim it down due to budget restraints but there are far more than 3 sets, I think that's a stretch. It seems as though they are trying to tie up loose ends within a limited timeframe.
As far as I knew, the show wasn't supposed to be about Al Capone or Chicago, it was about the scene in NJ so for them to leave out pieces of the Chicago/NYC gangs'stories doesn't really deter from my appreciation of the show. The complete neglect of Rothstein's demise is a tad odd but what can ya do.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mbw

well, its over.  i really enjoyed the last episode, and the final scene.