News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Wikipaug.net Master Thread!

Started by jedifunk, August 30, 2005, 06:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

http://www.phish.net/setlists/about.html

Read that ^^^ I think it's very enlightening.

This wiki idea is awesome and i'd love to be apart of something like that but in order to avoid a) redundancy and b) inappropriateness, I think that the proposition of a joint-venture might be the best solution and possibly amenable to all.

Bear also in mind that the Companion Stats are all dervived from the database built by David "ZZYZX" Steinberg (http://www.ihoz.com)

jedifunk

well, then, i guess we need someone to head up the "collaboration department".....  any volunteers, or anyone who knows the good folks over at the companion?

i definitely agree that we dont want to step on any toes or piss off anyone.  as far as redundancy goes though, i think thats inevitable.  if we plan on doing this it will obviously cover alot of the same ground as phish.net & mockingbird
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

hachiemachie

No, I mean:

2: Gotta Jibboo, Down with Disease, Dirt, Twist -> Piper, Harry Hood -> Wading in the Velvet Sea, Guyute

Down with Disease contained a 'Crosseyed & Painless' jam

as opposed to:

2: Gotta Jibboo, Down with Disease*, Dirt, Twist -> Piper, Harry Hood -> Wading in the Velvet Sea, Guyute (1:20)

*with 'Crosseyed & Painless' jam

It's silly, I know.

I don't know anyone personally over at the companion, but I'd be happy to act as part of a liaison. Why don't we put together some sort of proposal?

jedifunk

i gotcha...

but yeah, a proposal might be a good thing... ;)  guess we should start by getting our shit organized.
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

hachiemachie

OK, I guess we need to lay out the following:

1. What a Wiki site is.
2. That we plan on starting one for Phish setlist archives.
3. Why we think it's important.
4. Why we want their blessing.
5. That we're open to all suggestions/help.

Am I missing anything?

I'm not advocating just cutting and pasting setlists...but they are public info. Is there an ethical way to get at setlist info if we're shut down by the companion?

rowjimmy

Quote from: hachiemachie on August 30, 2005, 11:39:56 PM
Is there an ethical way to get at setlist info if we're shut down by the companion?

Comb all the shows you have... if you don't have it, i can't go into the list.

jedifunk

i dont see whats wrong with using the setlists included with torrents, other than we have to manually enter them in.

its all public domain as far as i'm concerned.  if anyone owns the rights i'd say its the band.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

guyforget

I havent seen the other thread...  Ill look for it.  Link? 

I could pitch the idea to the rest of the server team, and I dont see why anyone would object to hosting another website.  But first things first; whats the intent of the wiki that we're talking about here?  I read that its to be about Phish; but I have to point out what rowjimmy has said; that there are vast setlist archives online already [phish.net & mockingbird], and that zzyzx has an amazing database setup that is searchable by any number of paramaters that would be impossible to recreate or improve.  We dont have to reinvent the wheel. 

That said; I dont see why anyone on the server team would have an objection to hosting such a site, but there would have to be a discussion about it and there may be some conditions outside of our existing server agreement and yadda yadda.  The main thing is that we have a good idea and intend to do something for the community at large that will benefit them beyond what is currently available. 
-AD_

edison

Quote from: jedifunk on August 30, 2005, 11:49:41 PM
i dont see whats wrong with using the setlists included with torrents, other than we have to manually enter them in.

its all public domain as far as i'm concerned.  if anyone owns the rights i'd say its the band.

damn right.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

and the afros still aren't getting old.

jedifunk

here's what originally sparked the idea for a new wiki style site:
Can someone tell me some stuff about the companion and why it may be better than the almanac?  Or what features it haas that the almanac doesn't?  I have always loved the almanac and mine's falling apart too.  I'd love a final edition.  Maybe we should all collaborate on an online or new book called "The Pharmers Companion"  Interactive, linked to the db, stories associated with each show etc.  The accessibility rating is sweet but if it stayed updated as sources were brought out, that'd be cool too.
QuoteI mean, you got places with setlists, places with available sources, places with links to downloads, places with stories and show reviews, places with show ratings, places with song meanings, but I am talking one-stop shopping spree.
Quotecause as of now , i always go to phish.net for quick online reference of setlists, butit would be way cooler if we had a site w/ crossreferencing stats, reviews, etc. because i find the phish.net setlists sorta bare in that regards..

there's more in the other thread, but i gotta run real quick.  i be back, you can count on it ;)
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

Yeah, I am totally into this too.  Here's a look I like for the setlists.  Maybe in a chart. (I am not playing with that command in the forums yet so bear with the typing.)  Different than even what I have in my text files.  We'd obviously have to agree on standardization of acronyms or shortened names for example Punch or PYITE?  I know zzyzx has similar links etc to stuff and we don't want to duplicate efforts that we cannot improve on, but being a wiki site, if everything is there rolling along, it'd have to have all the info self contained.  And we could possibly have a totally different look to the setlists  such as.

Soundcheck
01. Funky Bitch                00:04:44                 Cut short due to Fish laughing
02. Jam                          00:17:44   

Set 1
01. Tube >                      00:10:12                 Audience chess move before Tube.
02. Radar Love >              00:05:42                 With Low Rider tease.  Concert debut.
03. Tube                         00:03:23                 Last Crosseyed 12/21/2004
04. Crosseyed >                00:07:21
05. 2001                         00:12:18
06. Ghost                        00:40:11                 Trey takes off his pants and plays in his boxers.

Set 2

and so on.

The cool part would be(and what would set it apart from any old setlist page)...  link to the database and bt at the top.  If it can check bt for the show and number of seeders etc, it can keep a running thing like current availability, has this show been available in the past, when etc.  General show notes (I always liked the ticket price line in the  Pharmers, just for fun)...  Link to the venue, Pic of ticket stub...  Liink to uploaded photos/stories (highest rated stories and photos shown on the first page).  Obviously each song would be a link as well to a page that would just give a crapload of info about the song.  Links to music, maybe lyrics right there.  All times played with preceeding and following song  Hell, maybe keep the music there too?  Just a haven for info.  I am totally cranked for this.

I like the scope...

And yeah, as long aas our setlists aren't just cut and paste (I wouldn't want them to be anyhow), there is no toe stepping...

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

^^^
nice setlist jephrey!
tube>radar love>tube - SICK!

oh yeah, and i'm all about this wiki thing too!
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Itsnotanexperience

guess i need to get educated on the wiki-thing........we took down our
highspeed connection over the summer to focus on more outdoor family
stuff, so my only access to BT and Week has been here at work - clearly
i need to pull that puppy back up.......

sounds like a great idea..........

ucusty

we could hit up Dan Hantman dan@phish.net  His hands are all over the companion.  which still has no date set for release

hachiemachie

Anyone have any ideas for a name for the site?

What about having all of the setlists together and the notes (teases/jams/etc.) on seperate pages. That way, the notes can be edited but the actual setlist can not. Or do we want the setlists to be editable? (Is editable a word?)