News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Allman Brothers Fall 2010

Started by sls.stormyrider, August 13, 2010, 10:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

you should really up some of those!!!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Superfreakie

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 15, 2010, 02:56:13 PM
you should really up some of those!!!

Give me a couple days and I will put together a care package for you. :beers:
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mehead

Quote from: slslbs on August 13, 2010, 10:15:42 PM
Got tix to the opener at the Orpheum.
Anybody else???

depends on how phall tour lays out
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

sprobeck

The official ABB recordings don't end up online. Not that I've seen anyway. There is some Neil. But still: putting restrictions on taping and trading of shows is a real asshole move. Free recording and distribution of live performances is a way for the artists to give something back to their fans for all the time and money and energy they have spent on them over the years. They would not be rock stars without us! 
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: sprobeck on August 15, 2010, 04:01:21 PM
The official ABB recordings don't end up online. Not that I've seen anyway. There is some Neil. But still: putting restrictions on taping and trading of shows is a real asshole move. Free recording and distribution of live performances is a way for the artists to give something back to their fans for all the time and money and energy they have spent on them over the years. They would not be rock stars without us!

I'm just saying that it's a privilege that bands even allow us to record. It's not a given. They have the right to make decisions based on their own needs/wants, etc. They don't owe us a damn thing. 

sprobeck

I just like to feel appreciated once in awhile. If you can do more than a simple thank you, well then it's a nice thing to do. If you can  but choose not too because you are too greedy, well that's pretty shitty then.  Fans don't get paid to be fans.  We spend so much of our looks admiring others, paying tribute to their talent. How do we get to feel good about ourselves?

sls.stormyrider

Huh?
These guys pay the rent by making music and getting paid. Allowing trading, IMO is good PR and marketing, but to some it's merely giving stuff away.

They owe us a good performance and a good recording, that's all. I feel great when I go to a good show, whether or not I can dl for free the next day.

watch Festival Express to get the musicians side of the constant demand for free music.

If you need a free recording to feel good about yourself or the artist, well, enough said I guess.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sprobeck

The people pay for the ticket, they pay for the flight, the hotel, the merchandise. Don't we pay enough? Personally, I think they should give a free download of the show to everyone who paid to go the show. 

PIE-GUY

Quote from: slslbs on August 15, 2010, 11:06:55 PM

watch Festival Express to get the musicians side of the constant demand for free music.

hadn't even thought of that - but perfect reference.

The bottom line for me is that the artist owns the performance. It is their right to do with it what they will. The Dead and Phish have always been pretty loose with what they will allow. That is nice of them, and it has helped them grow.

The ABB is not really in growth mode. They have a solid fan base. They are creating unique improvised music every night. They own that music. They feel it is not in their best interest to allow that music to spread really far and fast via peer to peer downloads, then that is their right.

This is a band that is trying to embrace new technologies in a way that can be profitable. If you listen to interviews with Butch about his pet project Moogis, he talks about trying to create a profitable way for bands to stream their content to their fans. In an age where everyone expects free streams and free downloads, bands are struggling to make ends meet. Maybe the ABB isn't struggling (I'm sure they do fine), but that's hardly the point.

They are among the founding fathers of improvisational rock and they are thought leaders in many aspects of the business. They are trying to find a profitable way forward, not just for themselves, but for those in their wake. I have a ton of respect for that.

So, suck it up and go see them if you like their music... or don't. I don't really care. But to write them off because they don't allow you free access to every show they play is readicculus!

Superfreakie

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 16, 2010, 01:35:04 AM
So, suck it up and go see them if you like their music... or don't. I don't really care. But to write them off because they don't allow you free access to every show they play is readicculus!

this.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

sprobeck

Quote from: Superfreakie on August 16, 2010, 01:37:07 AM

this.

Not really.  I have principles. Guess that stands out with all you situational moralists and MP3 and corporate apologists out there, but it's true. I don't like supporting assholes.  Being at the forefront of yet another way to part people from their money isn't anything for a fan to fluff, that's for sure!!

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Superfreakie

Quote from: sprobeck on August 16, 2010, 01:53:03 AM

this.

Not really.  I have principles. Guess that stands out with all you situational moralists and MP3 and corporate apologists out there, but it's true. I don't like supporting assholes.  Being at the forefront of yet another way to part people from their money isn't anything for a fan to fluff, that's for sure!!

You do realize that 99.99% of musical acts won't even allow you to bring taping equipment into their performances, let alone offer soundboards for sale. Instead, you have to wait for that one live album to be released, compiled from shows over the course of a tour. Sadly, while embracing your argument, you must only go see a handful of performers. I mean, I can't think of a single jazz band outside of MMW that would allow you to tape. So that pretty much strikes all jazz off your list. No great loss I guess.  :frustrated:

I've come to the conclusion Spro, that while I'm sure you are a nice guy, your logic is incredibly flawed.  Arguing with you, to borrow from Barney Frank, is like conversing with a dining room table. There's simply no point.   

DoW

Quote from: Superfreakie on August 16, 2010, 03:31:18 AM
Quote from: sprobeck on August 16, 2010, 01:53:03 AM

this.

You do realize that 99.99% of musical acts won't even allow you to bring taping equipment into their performances, let alone offer soundboards for sale. Instead, you have to wait for that one live album to be released, compiled from shows over the course of a tour. Sadly, while embracing your argument, you must only go see a handful of performers. I mean, I can't think of a single jazz band outside of MMW that would allow you to tape. So that pretty much strikes all jazz off your list. No great loss I guess.  :frustrated:

I've come to the conclusion Spro, that while I'm sure you are a nice guy, your logic is incredibly flawed.  Arguing with you, to borrow from Barney Frank, is like conversing with a dining room table. There's simply no point.   

don't ever put barney frank in another forum besides the politwook forum.

for the record, I like how abb handles their trading policy.  it creates a community.

I've gotten used to getting shows hours after they end and enjoy it, but you can't really complain about abb's method of creating a community.

I was going to grab tickets.  it's their ticket prices that are keeping me away from this tour.  too high for a casual abb listener.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!