News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

paug Cyclists?

Started by disco, August 16, 2010, 08:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

I'm all about cycling, it's my deal.....road, mountain, commuting, bmx, I love it all.  I love anything and everything bike related, just ask my wife....Currently have a Fat Chance MTB, Ibis Mojo SL MTB, Kona Honkey Inc crossbike, Independent Fabrication Ti Crown Jewel roadbike, an old Trek Hybrid, and Masi roadbike and a Duracycle Moth track bike.....My wife made me sell the other bikes when we moved out west....Had a Brooklyn 24" BX, but sold that 2 years ago....have not been riding a lot lately (traveling), but if I could ride every day, all day, I would....I started a cycling thread here 3 or 4 years ago to talk about the Tour, but only got a few responses....

susep

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 17, 2010, 03:12:22 PM
The reason I don't have one is because I'm too cheap to buy a new bike and I haven't found a yard sale bike that works for me yet.

same here.

StCarl

earlier today... 5K!

And that's 1000 miles in the last three months
for 2000 miles this calendar year so far!
Quote from: McGrupp on January 25, 2011, 02:39:37 PM
your overall taste in phish shows perplexes me.

StCarl

Post 2K commemorates 3K in <365!

^^ January 1, 2010

^^ Yesterday

3000 miles, fuck yeah!

rowjimmy

Impressive.

I got a new helmet and lock and aim to do a ton of riding in the coming year as a part of my commute.

Blaise

Avid cyclist. I ride my bike to and from work daily. Saves me about 90+ bucks a month not to have to take the train.

St Carl, how is minneapolis the best bike city? Really?

StCarl

Quote from: Blaise on December 30, 2010, 11:44:31 AM
St Carl, how is minneapolis the best bike city? Really?
There are excellent maintained bike paths all around the city - nice ones, too, that skirt around lakes and go up and down the Mississippi River.  There's one that was an old industrial rail line that's seriously like a wormhole from the river to uptown/downtown that goes probably 40+ blocks with no stop signs and then another 20 after that.  Decent bike lanes downtown, regional trails/routes out to the suburbs... but still I was surprised as anyone else.  Minneapolis likes the rating though.
http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/bicyclings-top-50
1 Minneapolis    
2 Portland, OR    
3 Boulder, CO    
4 Seattle    
5 Eugene, OR    
6 San Francisco    
7 Madison, WI    
8 New York City    
9 Tucson, AZ    
10 Chicago    
11 Austin, TX    
12 Denver    
13 Washington, DC
14 Ann Arbor, MI    
15 Phoenix/Tempe, AZ    
16 Gainesville, FL    
17 Albuquerque, NM    
18 Colorado Springs, CO
19 Salem, OR
20 Scottsdale, AZ
21 Louisville, KY
22 Chattanooga, TN
23 Long Beach, CA
24 Cary, NC    
25 Milwaukee    
26 Boston
27 Philadelphia
28 Pittsburgh
29 Charleston, SC
30 Arlington, VA
31 Sioux Falls, SD
32 Boise, ID
33 Kansas City, MO
34 Columbus, OH
35 Tulsa, OK
36 Grand Rapids, MI
37 Billings, MT
38 St. Louis
39 Cleveland
40 Greensboro, NC
41 Lexington/Fayette, KY
42 Omaha, NE
43 Salt Lake City
44 Miami
45 Indianapolis
46 Fargo, ND
47 Anchorage, AK
48 Baltimore
49 Little Rock, AR
50 Rochester, NY

StCarl

These are key, though:

I have a road bike on a trainer in the basement, but I've never really been able to get too into that.  My usual pattern living in MN was no exercise from the end of fall to the beginning of spring and then slowly getting back into shape over the summer.  Thanks to these studded Nokians, no longer.

rowjimmy

Studded tires are studly.

Notice Washington DC is @ 13 on that list. They've been adding bike lanes throughout town and, last fall, started the nation's largest bike-share program.

antelope19

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 30, 2010, 03:20:20 PM
Studded tires are studly.

Notice Washington DC is @ 13 on that list. They've been adding bike lanes throughout town and, last fall, started the nation's largest bike-share program.

I've def. noticed this when I'm in DC.  But then again, it would be difficult to miss. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Caravan2001

Nice bro, 3K is solid.....at about 1500 this year (more mountain this year than road which really takes a bite out of the mileage total)....but 3k is a solid year...good for you!  Esp. in the tundra that is MN!

tet

Bump!!

The wife and I are just getting back into cycling...  Got a new cyclocross bike (which is my first road-style bike), and am loving it so far.  NYC is challenging to ride in, but Central Park rules when not crowded, as does the Hudson River/West Side bike path, which I can take from Harlem to Battery Park. Sucks that we're heading into winter now but we'll keep going strong till the ice comes. Looking forward to a full season next year!!

I've been using Strava on my iPhone to track distance/speed - not the most accurate but it works quite well just with the built-in GPS (can add a Bluetooth GPS and cadence or even heartbeat sensor too).  What do you guys use?
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

susep

bump!

I biked 180 miles this past weekend, Fri. - Sun. from Newry ME to my hometown in Belfast ME in support of the American Lung Association.  Pretty rough conditions on Friday, mostly rain however it was easily my strongest day(70 miles).  Looking forward to biking more this Summer!

Caravan2001

Quote from: susep on June 19, 2014, 11:23:19 AM
bump!

I biked 180 miles this past weekend, Fri. - Sun. from Newry ME to my hometown in Belfast ME in support of the American Lung Association.  Pretty rough conditions on Friday, mostly rain however it was easily my strongest day(70 miles).  Looking forward to biking more this Summer!

Nice job.  70 is a good ride.

susep

Quote from: Caravan2001 on June 26, 2014, 07:18:09 PM
Quote from: susep on June 19, 2014, 11:23:19 AM
bump!

Nice job.  70 is a good ride.

Thanks!  here are a few pics I took.