News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R10/W01: 07-13-1999 Tweeter Center, Mansfield, MA

Started by G. Augusto, August 23, 2010, 07:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

Wasn't Tuesday's Gone played as a joke... because they played past curfew on a Monday.... or something like that?

Bring in the dude!

G. Augusto

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 24, 2010, 03:32:18 PM
Wasn't Tuesday's Gone played as a joke... because they played past curfew on a Monday.... or something like that?

Pretty sure it was part of the whole Brad thing.

UncleEbinezer

NICU - Nice opener.  Nothing special, but I always like an NICU to open.
Curtain - YES! 
Halley's - immediately goes into a jam.  After reviewing a lot of 3.0, it was nice to immediately realize I was going to get a nice Halley's.  I went to check the time and was happy to see I'd have 9 more minutes of this!  Nice loops.  Dear Phish, please start playing Haller's like this again.  TY.
Roses are Free - segued nicely from Halley's.  Scratch that.  Smooth like butta!  Anyhow,
NO2 - really dig the guitar section.
Lawn Boy - Always a nice song
Reba - Very nice and ambient Reba
Carini - From nice and ambient to angry and RAWK!!!  If the transition is anything like I picture it in my head...HELLS YEAH!
Funky Bitch - I really like this one.  Lots of energy.
Wolfman's Brother - I'm only 8 minutes in been grooving my ass off and still have 13 minutes to go!  Funk that weaves around, up and down.  Nice!!!
Piper - SOLID.  I like everything that this brought to the table
Bug - Good placement and energy
Mist - Yeah not a big fan of the song, but good placement
Antelope - RAWK!!!
Possum - Great closer for this show!!!
Tuesday's Gone was a nice touch.  Nice suprise encore!  Good choice too.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

rowjimmy

Jeez, buncha slackers
up in this piece. They had best
get some reviews on!

DoW

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 26, 2010, 10:16:59 AM
Jeez, buncha slackers
get some reviews on!
I'm getting there.  need to still give my final detailed listen.  tougher for me to get it done during the weke but it'll be up by saturday morning.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

justjezmund

Jeez, buncha slackers
get some reviews on!

not all of us have office gigs
where we can listen to music all day
so lay off and be patient please
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

rowjimmy

Quote from: JustJezmund on August 26, 2010, 12:37:16 PM
Jeez, buncha slackers
get some reviews on!

Have you wife and kids
Waiting to eat up your time
at home ev'ry night?

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 26, 2010, 01:03:08 PM
Jeez, buncha slackers
get some reviews on!

Have you wife and kids
at home ev'ry night?

Nice use of ev'ry
In order to maintain your
Endless Haiku chain.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

DoW

Jeez, buncha slackers
get some reviews on!

actually, it is tough to "listen" to music in an office setting.  it's nice for background noise.

Jeez, buncha slackers
get some reviews on!

Have you wife and kids
at home ev'ry night?
I have no legitimate excuse except being at strip clubs every night.

justjezmund

Jeez, buncha slackers
get some reviews on!

Have you wife and kids
at home ev'ry night?

ahh touche touche my bearded friend
no i do not have those at home for me
i finished review and here it is

Great Woods, Mansfield, MA

07/13/99

I

NICU - Nice opener, fun and energy.

The Curtain - Nicely done without "with"  love this in the first set and goes quite well >

Halleys - First set comet :-o , (5min) here comes the fun.  Love some space loops and the kick they get into around the 8th is the fuckin tits.  Maybe a slight crosseyed tease from trey around the 10th min.  Top notch stuff!

Roses - the segue from halleys went like butta.  Played well on all fronts, trey really hittin strides before the 5th min that are fuckin awesome. >

NO2 - :crazy:   instruments in this song = win.

Lawn Boy - The trend of this set is nothing short of awesome.

Reba - well done opening.  Stays pretty low and serene which isn't what I usually go for in reba but fits very well with this set.  >

Carini - not the smoothest segue but if its going into this I love it. 

Funky Bitch - Shit is fucking raging!!!!!

II

Wolfmans - Very cool way to open the second set, with some deep dark funk.  :music:

Piper -  slow intro for piper is cool as the other side of the pillow.  Breaks into standard rocker though, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Bug - Good bug, I love this song.

Mountains - Good song.

Antelope - Here comes some heat again.  And heat is what you get.  Nice reggae portion with greetings to friends.

Possum - With scott on guitar makes this closer just that much more dope.

E

Tuesdays Gone - The first thing I thought of was the end of Happy Gilmore. :hereitisyousentimentalbastard  One of my favorite Skynyrd tunes and a very awesomely fitting cover and encore.

Overall notes:

What a way to kick off this round,  I don't think ive ever listened to this show as a whole ever and I had a blast listening to it this morning/afternoon.  First set is nothing short of killer, the highlight is easily the halleys>roses>no2.  Second set had its moments (wolfmans around the 9th min on and the possum with scott) but the first set is the winner of this show in my book.  Thanks for kicking off round 10 with this choice. 

Overall grade B+
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

Superfreakie

Quote from: bvaz on August 26, 2010, 01:29:03 PM
I have no legitimate excuse except being at strip clubs every night.

FYI that's legitimate.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mbw

07-13-1999 Tweeter Center, Mansfield, MA

I
NICU – Fun opener, nice high energy.  Page all over his solo and fish is throwing in some extra nice fills.  Cool little jammed out end.

Curtain – Standardly great.

Halley's – Sounding really laid back and thin.  Into some nice space jam with loops, really diggin this groove.  Nice theme is built around the 10min mark.  Probably should have wrapped it up there cause it falters after.  Fish totally goes for Ghost but the rest aren't having it. >

Roses – Rockin.  A strange bluesy jam develops which heads into....

NO2 – Nice!  I was so happy to catch it at DC, one of the highlights of the weekend for sure. Very cool with the White Tape guitar parts included >

Lawn Boy – Dope how Lawn Boy comes out of the dreamy NO2.  Page solo?  Cool.

Reba – They would have been hung on a 3.0 cross for their handling of the composed part. (actually quite a lot this show) Cool ass muted picking from Trey.  Some gorgeous shit going down in this Reba.  Harsh but cool slam into >

Carini – Nice!  Takes a while for this one to get cooking but it eventually does.  The 08/11/09 Carini blows this one outta the water, just sayin/

Bitch – Send 'em out dancing.  There is some confusion about how this song goes here though...

II
Wolfmans – Fish is on fiyahhh here throwin down some nice ride and block work.  Trey takes er dark and dirty before fading into the back of a nice but typical funk jam.  Mike is obviously enjoying himself, ringing his bell.  Trey comes out as leader again with some more dirty grooves and things get real spacey.  Nice wolfmans. >

Piper – Nice seg outta Wolfmans.  The intro here is longer than most complete 3.0 Pipers.  The jam gets just the right amount of crazy.  The crowd spontaneously loses it right before the end.

Bug – Pretty rough stuff but it doesn't matter.  Sounds like current Trey here wailing away...

Mountains in the Mist – Yep.

Antelope – They really slam into this one nicely.  Some cool dark muted playing again from Trey.  Fuck they really all fly off the handle there for a bit, wish the would have kept it going a little longer.  Pretty ragey Antelope.

Possum – Extra cool with Murawski on guitar.  Good stuff, nice closer.

E
Tuesdays Gone – Ah, the perfect way to wrap up your movie/TV show season.  Incredible song and played great I thought.

Enjoyed this show quite a bit.  It had its fair share of flubby playing.  (Ugh, I think that type of shit stands out to me so much more now cause people point it out so much in 3.0, whereas I probably wouldn't have paid it much mind.)  Set I is a real winner and the second set is a lot of fun.  NO2>Lawyboy, Reba and Wolfmans are the standouts to me,  and I loved the encore.

Thanks for the listen, giving it a B+.

WhatstheUse?

I'm not in the club.  But I don't really care. This show is hot.

I've been listening to so much 3.0 lately I almost forgot how good Phish really was.

Loving the Halley's>Roses>NO2 combo.  It was so sick how they left out the modulation part of the jam in Halleys and just went straight for the funk.  And like mbw pointed out, really sounds like Fishman was going for "Ghost" towards the end of that jam

Reba was good stuff too, I love it when they do anything different with a jam... it always a plus when things get a bit atypical.

Wolfmans->Piper is what it's all about.  Why can't they (Trey) play with this much patience now?  The funk is soooooooo thiiiiiiccckkkk in that Wolfmans.

I've always enjoyed this show, but it's been awhile since I've revisited it. Great  :phish:!
Bring in the dude!

Caravan2001

Quote from: mattstick on August 23, 2010, 08:20:56 AM
This show was the same day as the MLB All-Star game @ Fenway Park.  Apparently Brad Sands went to the game instead of the show, which inspired some of his favorite songs to be played.

Sands was at this show.  Paluska went to the All-Star Game, so they busted out the Tuesday's Gone as  burn.  This is the only show I ever saw at Great Woods, headed up after work in NYC and my buddy left two tickets and two clinic passes underneath a garbage can for us next to the venue.  I was surprised they were still there, but they were!  We came in during the Halley's Jam.....Don't remember too much about this show other than the Tuesday's Gone, which is the only part of this show I have ever heard since, and I really like it.....Had no idea Murawski was on Possum as well, and we were in the 2nd or 3rd row  :roll: I'll listen to this one.....

DoW

NICU – decent start.  Quick, to the point and gets people into the show.

The Curtain – builds off NICU and a good progression into the set. .

Halley's > - buildup leads to Halleys and takes off.  Very nice sustained jam with good chemistry.  Great gordo action going on in this one.  highlight of the set.

Roses are free > - nice slow transition from Halleys jam. patient .

NO2 – the story on this is the guitar outro.  Nothing you can complain about on this.

Lawn Boy – well placed and well played.

Reba > - another balanced jam.  brings the energy back up.

Carini > liked the transition into this one..  Nice energy.

Funky Bitch – nice choice to end the set.  Keeps the built up tempo. Good energy in the middle segments.

Very good set.  Songs fit well together with some nice groupings.

Set II
Wolfman's > brings the funk.  Great version.  Great way to start a set.  definitely the highlight of the show.

Piper patient transition with slow beginning.

Bug > like the song.  Nothing special about this version.  Enjoy the old lyrics better.

Mountains- just sort of there in the middle of the set.

Antelope – some solid buildups.  Pretty compact but just a solid version.

Possum – a fun way to end the set.  Like it to close a set as it is just easy to move around to and enjoy.

Encore
Tuesday's Gone – worked well as the encore.  nice work by page.  nice way to walk out of this one.

Shows gets an A.  Overall, was very balanced.  Nothing was rushed.  Lots of patience and consistency.  Everyone had their moments and good chemistry throughout.  Show had a lot, funk, trey shreddage, page's magical solos, fish's robotic consistent mastery.