News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R10/W02: 10-29-1994 Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium, Spartanburg, SC

Started by rowjimmy, August 30, 2010, 07:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khalpin

MF,MF - A common Fall '94 opener.  Played tight and kicks things off nicely.  That short jam just rages so hard.
Sparkle - A great spot for it.  Super tight!  Damn, their playing was so ridiculous back on this tour.
Simple - This one is so fresh.  They're totally into it and the harmonies are spot on.
Jim - Not normally a fan, but this one is through the roof.  So fast and so tight.  Perfect.
Foam - Awesome times 10.
Lawn Boy - A short breather.
Split Open - A whole lotta awesome.  They were masters of tension, weren't they?  Random segue out of nowhere into>
Buffalo Bill -  2nd time played.  Fishman seemed to want to go back into Split Open but instead they go back to the reggae with>
Makisupa - Chill....I love the spontaneous heavy metal jam that comes out of this.  Everyone jumps on board within a couple seconds and a gorgeous moment comes to fruition.  A short BBFCfM section but instead Trey brings it into>
Rift - Maybe a little too fast for their own good, but still...the tightness is awe inspiring.  They will never play this song this well again.

I think I heard one sour note by Mike about 2 minutes into Lawn Boy.  Apart from that, this set is flawless.

DwD - What a way to open a set!  Totally rippin'.  Great finish that totally has you on your toes wondering where it's going.  Does not disappoint >
TMWSIY>Avenu - 3 things my mother always used to tell me....Never talk to strangers, Happiness is the key to life and never complain about getting Avenu Malkenu.
Sparks - Real smooth segue.  On fire.  Fishman does a great Keith Moon.
Uncle Pen - Goodness!
YEM - Real solid composed section.  Page sounds great on the clav during the tramps.  Then onto the organ.  This is all Page up until 11 minutes in.  I love those slides that Trey does around 12:20.  So tasty.  Wish he would do that in 3.0 but haven't heard it yet.  Mike really shines in the B&D section.  Sounded like a tease of The Ocean by Zeppelin in the vocal jam for a few seconds.  Solid YEM.
Bike - One of my favorite Fishman tunes.
Antelope - With Star Wars "The Force Theme" teases by Trey about 5 minutes in.  Smooth segue into:
Sleeping Monkey - A nice surprise (if you're a fan of it)
Antelope - Looks like Fishman was the only one ready to go back into Antelope.  Doesn't take long at all before they're raging the dissonance.  Nice finish.
Hood - Can't ask for a better encore IMO. Especially when it's a Fall '94 Hood.  Just gorgeous.  A truly glorious finish.

What can I say....one of my favorite shows.  A+ all the way.  I prefer the first set for the ridiculous tightness, but the Hood is the highlight of the show for me.  I'm one that definitely prefers this show over Halloween.  Great pick.

UncleEbinezer

MYMF - Great way to start a show.  I wish we had more of this now.  I really like to outro jam into...the screams/laughs. 
Sparkle - Its Sparkle   
Simple - Short jam with good energy and nice guitar playing.  Really like this a lot.
Runaway Jim - Fast and rockin'.  Good exploration here. 
Foam - Fast but solid.
Lawnboy - Nice bass solo on this one.
Melt - > Straight '94 Melt.  Love it!
Buffalo Bill - > Doesn't seem to be a good song after this.  Energy comes way down and the segue not so good.  I do like Buffalo Bill, but just weird placement.
Makisupa - > Just keep the chill mode rolling. 
Rift - Super fast and tight
DwD - Excellent build, peak and rebuild
TMWSIY - Always love this
Avenu Malkenu - Right on!
TMWSIY Reprise - Again can't beat it...
Sparks - Miss this song and I love it.  Not the best ever, but is definitely good
Uncle Pen - Yeee-haw!!!!
YEM - Some really nice page funk!!!  Trey takes over and rages.  Sweet bass outro.  Wild vocal jam.  reminds me of the Freebird energies.
HYHU->Bike->HYHU - Funny and goofy.
Antelope - >  Sweet intro.  Love the vocals during intro. Straight rawk in this one!  Love the segue into...
Sleeping Monkey -> Good times! 
Antelope - and then right back into Antelope.  About a 12 second get our bearings back drum beat and right back to RAWK! 
Hood - Very nice melody.  Quiet and melodic with a slow build to end this show on a nice note!

YEM and Antelope/Monkey are the highlights for me.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

sophist

QuotePhish
10/29/1994
Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium
Spartanburg, SC

Source: SBD > Cass/0 > DAT
Transfer: vDAT > Wavelab 6 (mastering) > FLAC16
Transfer and mastering by Art H. - imthemarmar@gmail.com

Set 1:

My Friend, My Friend
Sparkle >
Simple ->
Runaway Jim
Foam
Lawn Boy
Split Open and Melt ->
Buffalo Bill ->
Makisupa Policeman ->
Rift

Set 2:

Down with Disease ->
The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday >
Avenu Malkenu >
The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday Reprise ->
Sparks
Uncle Pen
You Enjoy Myself
Hold Your Head Up > Bike > Hold Your Head Up
Run Like an Antelope ->
Sleeping Monkey >
Run Like an Antelope

Encore:
Harry Hood

Set I-  Hot MFMF opener.  I love this in the opening slot, and they nail it.  It really sets the tone for the show in my opinion.  Sparkle is sparkle, it kind of works here.  Raging but brief Simple.  I like it.  They sound really tight so far.  Runaway Jim- another standard version, but solid.  I like it when they stretch it out here, but none the less, solid version for 94.  FOAM.  Second difficult tune of the night.  I like seeing it in this slot.  Well played, and a great solo by Page.  Lawnboy.  I am liking the diversity of this first set.  Lawn Boy works here as well.  MELT.  Dear God, secure the children and lock chairs into an upright position.  This one fucking takes off, and has a nasty segue into Buffalo Bill.  Me likely.  Killer 1-2 punch here.  Makisupa, it's a meh tune for me, but I really dig the metal jam at the end of this version.  Really good segue into Rift.  Rift is solid.  Great set closer.  Overall a really good first set.  Not much improv, but I dig the tight, and concise Phish too.  I give this a solid B. 

Set II- DWD opener, how 3.0?   :wink:  Kidding.  Brief but rocking version.  Nice.  TMWSIY > Avenu > TMWSIY > Sparks.  Dig It.  I like this sequence a lot, this is Phish to me, such a crazy sequence in my opinion.  Uncle Pen is well played as well.  YEM.  This YEM is awesome.  Great composed section, and then fierce jamming by the band.  Cool vocal jam that fades into HYHU > Bike > HYHU.  This is cool, but I'd rather hear improv than this, just my preference.  Antelope > Sleeping Monkey > Antelope.  I like this sammy a lot.  Major tension and release in this lope.  Great version in my opinion.  HOOD.  Always a pleasure when you get Hood as an encore.  I'm towards the end of it now, and it's quite melodic (as others have noted).  Overall set II is solid as well.  Solid B to me.  I think Halloween is better.  I also think 10/27 is better. 

Overall this show is a solid 94 show and holds up against the best of 94 and beyond.  Great pick. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

G. Augusto

Sure you didn't mean to pick the show prior, RJ?  :wink:

My Friend - Fish is super active for this one. Extra noisy fuse. Can't ever complain about a My Friend opener.

Sparkle - Trey virtually kills his solo. Ah...memories....

Simple - Love Fish's fill to kick this one off. You can tell the band is playing with some fire. Fish is smashing this! Short jam out of it and it eventually finds its wasy into >>>

Jim - Nice tempo. Playful breakdown during the quiet section. Concise peakage. Minimal leakage.

Foam - Great composed passages and an equally as great Trey solo.

Lawn - When the Mike solo was rare.

Split - Hits some nice '94-y parts during the jam. I kinda missed the big bang with this one, but it is still good. Quiets down into >>>

Bill - 1st since 11-19-1992. Cool interplay during the outro where Fish hints at a return to Split but instead goes into >>>

Makisupa - 1 of only 5 versions from '94. Song is short, but space follows > darkness jam >>> major key/fast jam and almost sounds like a push for BBFCFM but winds up being >>>

Rift - That was a 3.0 segue! This was the only time Rift has closed any set.

Disease - Really awesome space before Mike drops! MOAR FISH! Lotsa craziness in this one. Plays out like an extra long '94 jam buy in only ten minutes. Great return to the main theme.

MWS/Avenu/MWS - All perfect. Nice and spacious jam out of it (trend?) >>>

Sparks - Something about this song (and every Who song) that doesn't do it for me. Last one until 11-29-1996.

U Penn - Mike's vox are HOT! Fire Trey.

YEM - Good composed. Sounds like they started the tramps section later? Great clav work by Page which opens up that early funk. DnB is extra thick with Trey adding some wah.

Bike - Actually a really fun version! Gingerbread man. And they're on the dish. GERALD..........

Antelope - Fast! Nifty slowdown right before the ultra-slick segue into >>>

Monkey - Mike's voice is BASSY. >>>

Antelope - Fish just kinda starts this one up and they return to the jam. Again, super fast.

Hood - Composed section isn't quite A+, but nothing too horrible. Jam is patient. Nice key changes during the jam. The kick it up a notch at just the right time. Doesn't sound forced. Classic '94 peak note to cap it off.

Perfect October show.
I give it an A.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: G. Augusto on September 03, 2010, 06:23:59 PM
Sparks - Something about this song (and every Who song) that doesn't do it for me.

I really don't understand you at all.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

G. Augusto

Quote from: PIE-GUY on September 03, 2010, 08:57:39 PM
Sparks - Something about this song (and every Who song) that doesn't do it for me.

The Who = Boring.
Understand THAT!

justjezmund

Quote from: G. Augusto on September 03, 2010, 08:59:46 PM

The Who = Boring.
Understand THAT!
:shakehead:

your terrible at pinball taboot
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

G. Augusto

Quote from: JustJezmund on September 03, 2010, 09:00:55 PM

The Who = Boring.
Understand THAT!

No, your.

justjezmund

Quote from: G. Augusto on September 03, 2010, 09:03:37 PM

The Who = Boring.
Understand THAT!

No, your.

nobody said i wasn't terrible at typing grammar
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

G. Augusto

Quote from: JustJezmund on September 03, 2010, 09:05:36 PM
Quote from: G. Augusto on September 03, 2010, 09:03:37 PM

The Who = Boring.
Understand THAT!

No, your.

nobody said i wasn't terrible at typing grammar

JustJezmund doesn't understand grammar at all.

kellerb

I can't even understand what your'all saying

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

rowjimmy

Sure you didn't mean to pick the show prior, RJ?  :wink:

No. I love 'Lope
and the Sparks and the, and the,
and the everything.

DoW

these damn reviews.  my beginnigs of notes are in another state.  I listened to it again on my drive but that was days ago.  I may make edits lateer in the week.

mfmf-my favorite opener.  the spooky ending adds to it.
sparkle-fits in nicely in this slot.  well played.  it is what it is.
Simple-was loving this.  the jam felt like it had momentum coming and then they just ended it.  still a good beginning of the jam.
Jim-usually hit or miss with me.  this one was a hit.  energy was great.
Foam-the set just keeps on rolling.  love the song and this version is a good one.
lawn boy-always wworks if it is in the right spot.  nice quick time to catch your breath and still works.
melt-lawn boy was only a quick breather as this was just a raging version.
Buffalo Bill-a good change of pace from the rocking set. always appreciate the ability to completely change gears in a set and still play well.
Makisupa-the transition to reggae.  definitely a different version.
rift-good segue.  anothewr song that only works for me if placed well and I don't like it closing this set.

disease-disease set openers were cool until 2010.  a good version and good open to the set.
The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday > Avenu Malkenu > The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday Reprise-just pure awesomeness.  makes you want to hear it over and over again. so well played.
sparks-doesn't do much for me.
uncle pen-not my favorite song but nothing to complain about the version.
yem-played well.  page is the standout.
hyhu>bike>hyhu-this is never my favorite part of the show.  fishman should just sit where he is.  bije was decent though.
antelope>sleeping monkey>antelope-i hate when they break it up.  this version was cruising along well though wityh a good start and then a great segue into monkey.  it continued to work as monkey is what it is.  then the transition back to antelope just wasn't there. not easy to segue with antelope and the second one took this version away from me.

hood-nice ending to a show.  love it as an encore.  well played.  leaving with a smile.

I give it a b+.  borderline a-.

Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

pnchundi

DWD- is it me or is there a space ship in the room? Taking off, landing, despositing little green men? WHo knows... but this Disease is off at warp speed. Superb playing by all and love the space noise at the end too. TRey is on fire
TMWSIY- wow, no way to see this coming. And TMWSIY is usually pretty rigid and straightforward and wonderful, but even this gets the treatment.
Avenu- fantastic. Mike gets a sweet solo and is about to yeld the floor to Trey but Trey backs off and Mike keeps going
Reprise- delivers
Sparks- dissolves into what? where is this going? oooh, sparks no way. Listen to Fish
Uncle Penn- good song, excellent version, POOR PLACEMENT
YEM- back into the ethos. Early sections are about as expertly done as you will hear, the nirvana section is beautiful. I mean they on fire, exploring everything and anything that comes to mind. This sets the bar so high; great playing from everyone. THe drum/bass section is sick sick sick. The vocal jam is so so but what are you going do, complain?
HYHU- fuck yea!
Bike+ major kickdown. Great version even if fish forgets a few of the lyrics.
Antelope- my mind just melted. This lope takes off from the very beginning and its not like its being chased by a hunter or a lion, but just running for the sake, no, the joy of running. I do most of my listening during my commute to and from work, and this Antelope blew me away. I mean the volume got louder and louder and the speedometer kept creeping up and up. Major fucking jedi moves from Trey, keeping things raw and crunchy- and holy shit? Star Wars? The evil empire theme gets teased from Trey while the rest of the band hauls ass. Trey teases a couple of other things, and then its like the antelope leaps off a cliff and the grounds disappears from underneath only to land on...
Sleeping mOnkey- perfect perfect perfect. Love Trey taking the lead, great solos and fish gets silly at the end.
Lope reprise- fish means kicks it right off the bat and the rest of the band is confused, cavern? Trey hits a cord that could go either way but then leaps into antelope. I am left on the floor, blistered and confused but oh so happy!

Hood- Are you kidding me? Im losing my shit here. Top notch hood, i think 94 was Hoods year. Flawless through out and too many high lights to share. My favorite section, almost my favorite thing that phish does, is the section after the last "thank you mr minor" and with this version they explore the softer quieter space in ways that really get aired. Just amazing. I love how they bring just shy of the boiling point and cool it down again and again and again before just playing the shit out of the ending.

First of all, fuck you to anyone who doesnt give this show an A+. You are a jaded jaded fan and you need to get you ears checked. Phish is at the height of their game, and while I would say this is better then the Halloween show, its apples and oranges. But this is the best damn apple you have ever eaten- think OG Honeycrisp at the hight of the season. If I had to be critical, its the Uncle Penn. This might be one of the best versions, but it really ruins the flow and the space like possibilities that the rest of set floats around in. The band does so much and takes so many risks and this is the reason why we love this band.