News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R10/W06: 11-14-1998 The Crown, Cincinnati, OH

Started by UncleEbinezer, September 27, 2010, 10:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleEbinezer

Here is the mp3 link.  My laptop bombed on Friday and I am working on getting the lossless restored this morning.  I promise you will enjoy this show.  Probably a Top 5 attended for me and a top 10 in my listening rotation. 

Saturday, 11/14/1998 The Crown, Cincinnati, OH
Set 1: Funky Bitch, My Soul, Reba, Bouncing Around the Room, Tweezer > The Moma Dance, Sparkle, Character Zero

Set 2: David Bowie, Something, Piper, Golgi Apparatus, Guyute, Hold Your Head Up > Sexual Healing > Hold Your Head Up, You Enjoy Myself, Julius, Hello My Baby

Encore: So Lonely[1] > Tweezer Reprise

[1] Phish debut.

Notes: So Lonely made its Phish debut at this show.

Lossy
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RNAACIJA

Lossless
Torrent - http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=509797
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JGD3PON8

Submitted Reviews:

01- August
02 - RJ
03- KHalpin
04- UncleEb
05- Jezmund
06- MbW
07- Bvaz
08- Pnchundi
09- Sophist
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

susep

not in on this round but wanted to chime in and say I love this show/pic.  Many highlights but in particular love the YEM and prolly my fav version of Something. 

UncleEbinezer

Lossless is now uploaded.  Thanks to mbw for the help and i apologize for a crappy start to this round.  I think the tunes will pay you back if you've never heard it.

UncleEbinezer

Funky Bitch - Come out Blazin!  Mucho energy and lots of good stuff going on here!!! 
My Soul - repeat of energy.  Lots of goodness here with piano and guitar.
Reba - Tight.  Jam is nice.  very slow build.  I really love this Reba!!!
Bouncing - Its bouncin'
Tweezer - this is a TWEEZER!  Space, funk, rawk!  Its all here.
Moma - smooth and silky funk!
Sprakle -
Zero - Solid Zero.  This is what they should song like.  Lots of rhythm and RAWK in this one.

Bowie - Talk about blowing your wad!!!!  Fantastic Bowie!!!
Something - B A U tiful
Piper - high energy.  This was before Piper's really got out there, but it builds very nicely and climaxes well.
Golgi - Just keeps this show rolling along nicely. 
Guyute -
HYHU -
Sexual Healing - He had the Viking helmet on so, its just plain silly.
HYHU - I'm Horny as all hell!  Super energy!  Fishman on Horns section.  :)
YEM - Solid YEM. 
Julius - This was a rockin' Julius. 
Hello My Baby -

So Lonely - First ever of 2 (I think).  Excellent and I love the licks Trey rips in this. 
Its like Trey really figures it out and you can hear the pace and energy buid.
Tweezer Reprise - High energy and a great send off!!!

Show gets an A+ from me.

mattstick

khalpin

Funky Bitch - Solid opener.
My Soul - Back to back blues.  More solid playing.
Reba - Tight composed section.  Gorgeous jam.  Glorious peaks.  Everything you want out of a Reba.  With whistling.
Bouncing - Standard
Tweezer - Loops right off the bat, albeit subtle.  It doesn't take long for this to develop into a driving, big rock jam.  Then it simmers down into a bit of melodic space.  I love what Trey's doing ~12:00.  Almost TMWSIY-ish.  Really pretty stuff.  And Mike really adds to it nicely with what he's doing underneath.  Page adds the ambient background.  Solid Tweezer.
Moma Dance - Some nice funk.  Short and concise.  I like it.
Sparkle - standard
Character Zero - I normally look at this as a throwaway tune, but this one actually has some heat to it.

Bowie - The composed section is pretty tight.  Nice jam with some quality energy.  A couple of nice peaks/releases along the way.  Great way to open the set.
Something - Pretty good cover.  Not an easy one to do, but they do a good job of it.
Piper - I like the shorter versions like this that build up a nice head of steam and end without dragging on.  Solid.
Golgi - Interesting mid-set placement.
Guyute - At ~4:00 Fishman decides this is going to be a lightning fast version.  I like fast.  Especially when it's tight like this one.
HYHY>Sexual Healing - Fishman clowns around.
YEM - Solid composed section.  I like where the jam goes ~16:00, but it doesn't last very long.  Instead it goes into the vocal jam.  Kinda skipped the B&D segment.  Solid YEM.
Julius - I like this here.  Late 2nd set rawk!
Hello My Baby - standard
So Lonely - I'm surprised the crowd's reaction wasn't more enthusiastic.  Damn, that's some high vocals.  Nice little solo for Trey, too.  Not his usual style.  Big thumbs up on this cover.  Too bad they didn't do it more often (or ever again).
Tweezer Reprise - Great way to finish.

Real solid show.  My personal highlights are the Reba and Tweezer in the first and the So Lonely encore.  Really no low points at all here.  Solid A.  Great pick!

rowjimmy

Opening with the
combo My Bitch / Funky Soul
is better when heard

than it is when read.
Reba really starts shit here.
simply put: nice jam.

Lets just skip ahead
to the Tweezer. This shit rips.
Trey spits hot fire

after 10 minutes
it settles; sounds a bit like
the man who stepped but

that's not what happens.
standard 98 space drifts
into Moma Dance.

Moma is just fine
and then they play two more songs
to wrap up the set

Bowie to open
set two is cool. nice jam
not too crazy, though.

Something is real nice.
this is standard 98
here with a Piper

Golgi happens next.
Guyute is nailed per norm.
Sexual Healing-

Jeez, this might be the
prime, typical 98
show. No surprises

in how or what they
play in this show. YEM
did not blow my mind

but it didn't suck.
Not even slightly. And, uh,
Julius? It's rawk.

Hello My Baby?
as a closer? What the hell?
Lame closer here, guys.

Wait. So Lonely? Cool.
What a great, random, cover.
Solo starts badly

but Trey dials in.
And then TweePrise wraps it up.
That's not a bad show.

If you are a fan
of the 98 Phish sound
you will like this one.

Igbo

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Caravan2001

Great pick, this was one of my favorite shows from tour....My first time at the Crown.  We flew into Nashville because we were going to end up back there for the Murfreesboro show.  When the Enterprise guy found out we were there for the Phish shows (he was going too), he gave us a huge Cadillac for like $30/day, it was dope....Anyway, this is just a solid show from start to finish.  I love the Something (I think the only one I saw besides Albany), love the Tweezer and Moma too...we were raging at this show, it was FUN as hell.  The Reba is pimp, and this is also the show where the girl got naked during set break-- The whole crowd was cheering as security moved in to get her, but they were afraid to touch her....The Bowie opener was tight.....I was basically out of the venue for some reason or another early and was just about to go down the stairs when they busted into So Lonely- I freaked the fuck out...ran back into the arena and was all fired up about it, the Tweeprise was just icing on the cake.  The So Lonely really makes his show for me.  It is a all around solid show (super solid) but the So Lonely puts it one notch higher in my book.  The Ann Arbor show before this has some unreal stuff and goes places this show doesn't but this one is a winner.  Again, one of my top shows from the tour along with New Haven, Worcester and Hampton.  The show the next night was dog shit, but I got my second La Grange so it was worth it.....Good pick....Even though I am not in on this round officially, I give it an unofficial A......

khalpin

rowjimmy

Quote from: ytowndan on October 01, 2010, 04:08:11 PM
Top 5 Reba for me.

That and the first half of Tweezer made the first set worthwhile for me.

G. Augusto

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 02, 2010, 10:35:28 AM
Quote from: ytowndan on October 01, 2010, 04:08:11 PM
Top 5 Reba for me.

That and the first half of Tweezer made the first set worthwhile for me.

I've always been a fan of the second half of the Tweezer.
Kinda like a Fall '97 throwback.
First part rips, tho.

mbw

R10/W6: 11/14/1998 The Crown, Cincinnati, OH

I
Funky Bitch - band sounds tight.  Nice pay jorgan solo.

My Soul - coupla high energy blues covers to kick things off.  Everything is sounding good so far.

Reba - fast start to keep the energy up.  Beautiful reba jam here.

Bouncin - that time and, once again....

Tweezer - some extra grit in the song proper including some loopish effects from trey.  This one has some teeth.  Nice dark groove with trey tearin it up.  Loops come out again deep in the jam, deep in the background.  TMWSIYish jam >

Moma - this thick slow funker rocked pretty hard near the end.

Sparkle - release the links, undo the clasp.

0 - as much as i'm not a fan of this songs lyrics, this 0 straight raged.  Sammy Hagar the Horrible was killin his drums.

II
Bowie - sweet intro with fish all over the place, page and trey keeping it weird.  The jam gets very spacey and intense, almost sounded like a souped up dark star for a bit.  Things really blast off then and the crowd feels it.  Now this is how you start a set.  A flawless incredible bowie.  Fish is smooth as silk and trey is no slouch either.

Something -  wow.  Didn't see that one coming. Shaping up to be a very special show.  Prolly one of the most beautiful songs ever written and they did a great respectful job of it.

Piper - a perfect piper.

Golgi - strange placement but well done.

Guyute - fish is killing it tonight, freal.  Trey knows it, so as a reward >

HYHU> Sexual Healing> HYHU - was that sexy?  I'm not sure.  Fish - "I'm horny as hell tonight"   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

YEM - nailed composed section, page lights up the tramp jam.  The jam starts off with a thick groove, then page adds some nice eerie synth.  No D&B, second time this round, right into a very cool vocal jam.

Julius - straight rocked.  Prolly should have ended here cause....

Hello My Baby - was unnecessary.

E
So Lonely - amazing.  Page does well with the vocals, although i was bummed he didn't do the screaming part at the end.  This is phish, you like to scream.  Anywho, totally cool and special.

Tweeprise - trey is totally stoked and thanks the crowd for a great night.

Wow.  Killer top notch show.  3 non-standard awesome covers, and an incredible bowie which i think is getting overshadowed by the reba and tweezer.  This is an A+ phish show if there ever was one.  Nice pick.

pnchundi

funky beyotch- starts kinda slow which is nice.  trey takes an early solo and the page has fun at the end
my soul- keeping the blues flowing
reba- sweet one here.  early sections are solid but then they get into this quiet space ala Hood and do some very interesting exploration before cranking things back up to the end.  W/ whistling
bouncin-
tweezer- great driving energy for about 10 mins and then it floats off into nothingness.  Trey is teasing something but I cant place it
Moma- downright funky.  Mike is killing it, and pushes Trey to a nice frenzy
sparkle- eh
zero- another eh but trey has a nice solo

bowie- great bowie.   High energy and intense playing all the way to the end.  Trey builds and build and builds- I think his peak is slightly off from everyone's elses peak, but it is a great listen
SOmething- they messed up the into intro and this feels off, which is a shame because its a great song and they usually play well
piper- like a hurricane racing across the dance floor this picks up everything in its way
golgi- start. stop. start. stop
guyute- i agree that fish is doing something extra special here
HYHU>Sexual Healing- its just funny
YEM- wow a lot of serious meat in this set.   Well played by all
Julius- rocking!
Hello-

So Lonely- what a treat
tweeprise- i think this is better than the tweezer

Damn good show from start to finish, but they need work on the pacing.  First set is solid with Reba a highlight and Moma was nice and funky.  Second set was good too, but thats the flow problem for me.  Why not crank out a couple of killer tunes and then slow down with Something? B+