News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

10/08 - ACL Festival - Austin, TX - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Undermind, October 08, 2010, 10:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blatboom

mehead

Quote from: mistercharlie on October 10, 2010, 11:48:12 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 10, 2010, 11:33:04 AM
I read the thread and the hate really isn't there, so thanks... but WTF happened in the LST????

There were no streams so we all sat around watching old horror movies on TCM. It was awesome, Christopher Lee defeated the goat-headed, blood orgy having, Devil without ever dirtying his pocket square.

pretty much ruled face  :samurai:
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

whatapiper

Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 10, 2010, 11:33:04 AM

I was avoiding this thread for a while because I knew there'd be some hate and I didn't want to come down off of my cloud. I read the thread and the hate really isn't there, so thanks... but WTF happened in the LST????

i was wondering the same thing...... kinda like when you're a kid and walk in on your parents having sex, you just lower you head, turn around, and get the fuck out!
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

PIE-GUY

Quote from: blatboom on October 10, 2010, 11:54:30 AM
lulz.  that was a fun one.  see yall in there tonight

I'll be rocking out to Joe Walsh & Co. tonight! Hopin' for a Life in the Fast Lane!!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VDB

I'd probably have a different opinion of this show had I merely listened to it vs. getting to watch the stream. (No surprise; we know being there is yet another added dimension and always contributes to one's enjoyment.)

I thought the playing overall was very solid and the energy was good. Individually, I thought all four sounded great. I thought Trey in particular sounded especially spry and limber. The only whale I really caught from Trey was during First Tube, and it was used appropriately there. Maybe he decided to spend an entire tour learning how to use the pedal and now will only do so when it works, who knows.

Obviously there was no great, adventurous jamming, which is a disappointment, but fairly understandable given the festival audience. I'd hate to think, and I do not think, that Phish did not take this into account -- that this will be reflective of how the entire tour will go. Frankly I think they're playing too well to be actually struck by a cripple improvisational malaise, and you could hear moments during this show (e.g. Rock and Roll) when I believe the band, at a regular Phish show in front of a regular Phish audience, could and would have taken it out further.

I'm also with WTU -- I enjoyed the Light, its role in truncating an otherwise nice Hood notwithstanding. They kept weaving in and out of this atonal thing that I was really digging.

One last thing I'll say -- it sounded like many or all of the songs were being played at a faster tempo. Anyone else think so? Or could it have been that the stream itself was not being broadcast at actual speed?
Is this still Wombat?

justjezmund

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

susep

review via http://www.aclfestival.com/webcast/

cyber bubbling...

DwD - preety rocking, Mike and Fish sound tight, Page playing really well, they typically rage this jam like they do here, nothing too crazy but solid(sound familar?), tight ending into 1,2, 3,

Cities - nice segue in that the DwD ends in D, "find your Austin City!", Trey looks like he has marijuana eyes, Berkeley esque funk, short version into

Possum - yawn, so burnt out on this pic, I've actually been memory listening to the 2Nov.1994 version recently, I like the Ocelot headstock illumination, giddy Trey, again nothing too crazy but decent, Trey cannot achieve his bending ascension ala '94 anymore:(, even the lights seem a bit contrived, into

Wolfman's - 3.0 greatest hits, its weird to think its been over 13 years since 1March1997, Mike far more active then Trey, love Fish's mini toms, decent lead in by Trey, Fish showing Page esque hair lines, Trey shooting for stars in his outro solos, standard version/reading.

Chalk Dust - lets hope gainesville is right! ;), stream crashed....back!  nice tone by Trey, tease?, slight dissonance brief back into 'dust space, fat descending lines by Mike, Trey on the $, Trey hitting some bends but sounds dead both musically and vocally, raspy vocal reprise, Gainesville?

Rock & Roll - love the Berkely jam, lets see how this one does, "and it was all right...", these guys are definitely having fun!, Trey feeling it, nice builds/lines by Gordo, more straight ahead Phish, no "x" factor jamming before Trey tries to spawn something w/ his rythymic reprise, more single note playing, quick reprise into vocal outro, they almost sound like their laughing at times, Page really feeling it towards the end, predictable segue/3.0 ambient thrust into

2001 although I was thinking Light, interesting rythym/chord selection by Trey, nice scratch into first cadence, Trey loves the scratch( btw does he still use DR strings?), these guys can still easily create a pocket but it seems very plain and mundane, trippy outro effects into

BDTNL - Trey feeling the joy, Fish looking chill behind his kit, Trey leaning to and 'fro, more straight ahead playing, no one really willing to take a risk..., beta Trey into Fish led

Hood - Mike thumping along, reminds me of the painful '09 Mansfield version, love the green lights esp. in this tune, Hood has that green glow/vibe, decent jam, Mike and Fish sound fat, Fish has an almost military style beat, heavy chord outro mutation into

Light - nice segue, Fishman!, Trey really feeling it, high stepping it, its almost like he can't wait to go into the jam, Trey trying to find his way, below avg jam esp. this song being a 3.0 top jam contender... 1, 2, 3 into

Suzy - Page showcase, nice work as usual, active band behind, very active, Page digging deep into his Yahama, solid into

You Enjoy Myself - love the opening arpeggios/first 50 sec. immensely, blue hued nirvana, subtle varaitions by Mike, when I first got into Phish my good friend Debbie used to describe the changing music as a reflection of Maine's Androscoggin River, Trey chords back in near 9:51, mellow, solid groove, Mike noticeably more active and creative then his guitar counter part( summation of 3.0),  Fish kicking in a little bit more, full band peak near 12:49, Page comping sounds pissed off, Mike bass/drums at 14:00, insect fuzz. 

E

Cavern - appropriate festival closer.

First Tube - as heard on Austin City Limits, 17July2000, nice version. 

As duly noted already, fairly safe, straight ahead show.  They played well, professional but nothing "out there".  Having said that they did appear to be extremely happy and aged(see Fishman's near Page hair line w/ noticeable halo).  Although short and unfinished which I thought the segue into Light was decent, the Hood is my notable pick/archive w/ the First Tube encore perhaps making the cut as well.

Overall, C/C+ 

Gumbo72203

Holy shit this Disease is bananas!!!!!!   Fuck yeah man!!!!

Disease can stay 8 minutes long if they bonkz0rz the jam solo like this.  Pay Jorgan up the wahzzoooo and Trey peaks!!!!  Love the mix.  Took a minute or so to really warm up, but once the turn arounds started flowing...  man.  That was really good.

Possibly the strongest tour opener of 3.0 imo...
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 10, 2010, 02:16:59 PM
Quote from: blatboom on October 10, 2010, 11:54:30 AM
lulz.  that was a fun one.  see yall in there tonight

I'll be rocking out to Joe Walsh & Co. tonight! Hopin' for a Life in the Fast Lane!!
You should get it.  I'm pretty sure they've played it both times I've seen them.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

PIE-GUY

I really wasn't expecting both a Walkaway and a Funk #49... both rocked!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Gumbo72203

That Hood -> Light mess was atrocious, imo..........

Hood was so sloppy.  The beginning was ball-fucked by Fish's giant cymbal hit in the beginning.  Threw everyone off.  and they were off throughout the whole first rep of the intro, and then goofed lots of things elsewhere.  And Trey couldn't get in tune with Light to save his life at the beginning.....

Oh well.  the last 2 shows have made up for it
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

ph92

ive listened up to R&R at this point

i can sense the energy, not the best jamming, but good energy for sure, everything is just pretty solid so far
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH