News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

'The Hobbit'

Started by mistercharlie, October 17, 2010, 08:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Next December?! That's a long ass wait...

Still,
Quote from: mistercharlie on December 21, 2011, 04:12:46 PM
me = stoked

:crazy:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

rowjimmy

3d done right (first step being that it has to be filmed in 3d rather than created via processing in post) can be good.
I trust Peter Jackson with this material and his selection of technical people to do this as well as can be done. I also feel that the higher framerate will help with some of the nagging problems that come with the modern 3d process (specifically the eye-fatigue.)

gah

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 22, 2011, 11:44:59 AM
3d done right (first step being that it has to be filmed in 3d rather than created via processing in post) can be good.
I trust Peter Jackson with this material and his selection of technical people to do this as well as can be done. I also feel that the higher framerate will help with some of the nagging problems that come with the modern 3d process (specifically the eye-fatigue.)

This will be the first movie I see in 3d! 8-) (<- already picked up a pair of glasses)

khalpin

QuotePeter Jackson just confirmed last week's rumor on Facebook that "The Hobbit" will now be three films. The filmmaker released the following statement:

It is only at the end of a shoot that you finally get the chance to sit down and have a look at the film you have made. Recently Fran, Phil and I did just this when we watched for the first time an early cut of the first movie - and a large chunk of the second. We were really pleased with the way the story was coming together, in particular, the strength of the characters and the cast who have brought them to life. All of which gave rise to a simple question: do we take this chance to tell more of the tale? And the answer from our perspective as the filmmakers, and as fans, was an unreserved 'yes.'

We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance. The richness of the story of The Hobbit, as well as some of the related material in the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, allows us to tell the full story of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins and the part he played in the sometimes dangerous, but at all times exciting, history of Middle-earth.

So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast and crew of "The Hobbit" films, I'd like to announce that two films will become three.

It has been an unexpected journey indeed, and in the words of Professor Tolkien himself, "a tale that grew in the telling."

Cheers,

Peter J

rowjimmy

Oh man...

If it takes them three years to release these, I'm probably going to have to cut a bitch.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 30, 2012, 12:34:46 PM
Oh man...

If it takes them three years to release these, I'm probably going to have to cut a bitch.

I've got a feeling a bitch is probably gonna need cut. I remember the anticipation anxiety I had waiting between the first three films. But it was well worth the wait.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

gah

I trust he knows what he's doing, but I have a feeling pushing it to three movies is going to make it drag.

rowjimmy

Quote from: goodabouthood on July 31, 2012, 10:59:37 AM
I trust he knows what he's doing, but I have a feeling pushing it to three movies is going to make it drag.

They've sourced the appendices for extensive additional plot material. If you're thinking only of the films as being the There and Back Again story, you're going to be amazed at what they've added. The tale of the Necromancer in Dol Goldur is gonna blow some minds. I'm glad (after some reflection) that it's going to get significant airtime rather than being tacked on.

antelope19

It's been a few years since I dusted off my copy of the hobbit. Might have to revisit soon.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

rowjimmy

Quote from: antelope19 on July 31, 2012, 12:58:12 PM
It's been a few years since I dusted off my copy of the hobbit. Might have to revisit soon.

May as well dip into the back of LOTR, too.
All those times when Gandalf leaves the travelers is going to be covered too.

Hicks

Sounds like a money grab to me, but I have hope that Jackson can prove me wrong.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 31, 2012, 01:23:13 PM

So those scenes will fast-forward in time or the continuity will be adjusted for these films?
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 31, 2012, 03:18:20 PM

So those scenes will fast-forward in time or the continuity will be adjusted for these films?

They happen more or less concurrently.

The story was revealed in the appendices to LOTR as well as other writings, and only lightly touched upon in The Hobbit.

VDB

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 31, 2012, 03:36:53 PM

The story was revealed in the appendices to LOTR as well as other writings, and only lightly touched upon in The Hobbit.

Ah, you meant the travelers in The Hobbit, not those times when Gandalf peaced out on the LOTR travelers.
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 31, 2012, 03:57:58 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on July 31, 2012, 03:36:53 PM

Ah, you meant the travelers in The Hobbit, not those times when Gandalf peaced out on the LOTR travelers.

His absences were well accounted for in those films...