News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Walking Dead

Started by mistercharlie, October 21, 2010, 09:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

It's still hard to watch a human do that to a human.
Zombies are not afftecting.

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 25, 2016, 03:53:34 PM

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

VA $l!m

that's the point?
works for me.
i like being provocked by art.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Bobafett

Quote from: VA $l!m on October 25, 2016, 11:49:34 PM
that's the point?
works for me.

I was saying that at work today...zombie gore is cool but that human shit was much more harrowing than any zombie gore I can remember.  Really well done episode.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

rowjimmy

that's the point?
works for me.

People have limits. I'm not opposing the show or how far they went but I know people who can't watch that and would prefer not to see two heads graphically smashed in. Even the producers acknowledge that it was gratuitous, even if there was a purpose to it.

It's not pleasant and, at some point you may have to decide if that outweighs the entertainment.

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 26, 2016, 06:44:41 AM
that's the point?
works for me.

People have limits. I'm not opposing the show or how far they went but I know people who can't watch that and would prefer not to see two heads graphically smashed in. Even the producers acknowledge that it was gratuitous, even if there was a purpose to it.

It's not pleasant and, at some point you may have to decide if that outweighs the entertainment.
i'm not watching the walking dead for pleasantries personally. that's all i'm saying.

and dont take this the wrong way, im  just trying to have a discussion here, but isn't 'gratuitous' by definition going beyond having a purpose?

I think if it was just the Abraham scene noone would have anything to say, but most of the disgust results from GLenn's scene.
Even considering both scenes the total amount of gore might amount to two or 3 minutes worth of footage.

IF we're suggesting its the quality of the gore and not the quantity, then again isn't this the Walking Dead? The same show where the Michone stabbed the Govenor in the eye with a shard of glass and the Termites had racks of humans drying in a slaughterhouse aging for consumation?
This was an especially visual brutal few minutes with the explicit purpose of galvanizing the group  going forward through the death  of the most important characters of the entire series.
I think they portrayed it exactly how it needed to be portrayed without censoring or minimalizing the artistic impact of the scene.

IF I'm talking 'gratuitous' then I'd be more inclined to talk about every other episode of Game of Thrones. I mean showing me the wart on that guys cock doesnt exactly do anything to develope the story.

I think alot of the backlash i've been hearing around actually lies in the fact that many casual or new fans saw this episode.
My physical therapist had a similar experience where he got his wife to watch it after seeing the 'up to now' catch up show.
He said she won't be watching it again either.
I  think the producers were most likely quite aware that the cliffhanger hype this summer was going to bring new people in and so they really needed to reset the original tone of the series.
PErsonally i feel It was perfect timing and brilliant execution (no pun inteneded).
IMO the show had goten pretty stale and soft the last few years and i wasnt really believing the reality as much as the first few seasons.

Originally this show pushed the envelope of cable tv. Thats what made it special.
Whether or not TV  should be serving up  violence, warranted or not, seems like a bridge we all passed in regards to this show 7 years ago.
Sounds like buyer's remorse to me.
Trust me, 99% of cable tv will protect you from feeling uncomfortable if that's what your looking for.

mistercharlie

Watching made me uncomfortable, but so did reading it. I knew it was coming and it was cringworthy but it's not going to make me stop watching the show. Negan is a mother fuckin' fuck of a fuck, and I know he'll make for interestingly edgy tv.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

ytowndan

It does raise interesting questions about what we supposedly deem "appropriate" for TV as far as censorship goes.

That was a-okay, but no boobies or offensive words.  Because the children!
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

mistercharlie

Quote from: ytowndan on October 26, 2016, 08:42:32 PM
It does raise interesting questions about what we supposedly deem "appropriate" for TV as far as censorship goes.

Remember when people were in an uproar because Aaron and Eric kissed? They used the excuse 'I don't want my kids seeing that' then too.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

ytowndan

Quote from: mistercharlie on October 26, 2016, 09:09:18 PM

Remember when people were in an uproar because Aaron and Eric kissed? They used the excuse 'I don't want my kids seeing that' then too.

Ha!  Yeah, I forgot about that.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Bobafett

Quote from: mistercharlie on October 26, 2016, 09:09:18 PM

Don't want my kids to see that kinda bad shit when the zombies come.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

rowjimmy

I think he fact that the show almost made me not want to watch anymore really doesn't warrant this much discussion.

Bobafett

Oh I didn't mean to direct anything towards anybody, just love the show and the episode definitely affected me. 

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 26, 2016, 09:36:53 PM
I think he fact that the show almost made me not want to watch anymore really doesn't warrant this much discussion.
i dont think anyone was centering the discussion around your personal opinion. in fact you said you werent 'opposed to it'.
maybe you bringing it up was a jumping off point but like i said before i heard similar reactions from alot of soruces.

obviously if theres something in the show that makes people considering to stop watching then i'd say that warrants more discussion than the last hundred pages of this thread.
i cant think of anything more controversial in the entire series.
the closest thing i can think of is when they introduced the  Termites.
that episode definitely bothered me alot more than this one.
and still nothing comes close for me to season 1 when the zombies attacked the camp and Andreas sister got bit. that episode has always sticked with me just cause it was the first real tension filled moment that made me cringe.

the real discussion here i think, outside of tv standards in general which really has been beaten to death, is how by season 7 i know personally i am completely desensitized to the zombie affect.
thats the crux of this biscuit i think.
i'd say season 3 was the last time i didnt just think of the zombies as a backdrop. the producers in fact said as much starting around s4 that the 'real' threat was people not the dead.
...and therin lies the issue. the show has ridden on this premise for the last few years but it really gets itself bogged down by it when they cant actually be as expressive with human v human violence as human v zombie violence.
again , this is nonsense because it is all fiction.
its like if people got upset b/c they showed someone getting raped on the show but then everyone was fine with them showing a  zombie being raped...

mistercharlie

My wife called it quits on the show in the first few episodes of season 6. So I don't blame anyone for not wanting to watch anymore. Things get pretty gruesome from here on out, but that episode is kind of the apex of grotesqueness, just like Issue 100 of the books was their apex of grotesqueness.