News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12/31 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Superfreakie, January 01, 2011, 01:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qop24

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

mattstick

cactusfan

ghost was okay.

i liked the YEM. the shoemouth jamming cracked me up and mike kills.

that's all i've heard so far...

sunrisevt

Quote from: Hicks on January 02, 2011, 05:11:57 PM
Sooooo, worst NYE show ever?

Only if you weren't there.

You all know I generally stay out of these debates, but complaining about the Hot Dog being an old prank is just being deliberately obtuse--the show featured a twenty minute full-on Broadway dance number, probably 60 or 80 people on stage celebrating one of Phish's silliest songs. That is hilarious and inspired. It was followed by the band flying out on the hot dog for the third time, which was appropriate to the occasion.

Don't like the music? Fine. Tell me why and I might find your complaint valid.

Complain that the NYE gag was unoriginal? Get your head out of your ass.

Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

qop24

Quote from: sunrisevt on January 03, 2011, 09:17:30 AM
Quote from: Hicks on January 02, 2011, 05:11:57 PM
Sooooo, worst NYE show ever?

Only if you weren't there.

You all know I generally stay out of these debates, but complaining about the Hot Dog being an old prank is just being deliberately obtuse--the show featured a twenty minute full-on Broadway dance number, probably 60 or 80 people on stage celebrating one of Phish's silliest songs. That is hilarious and inspired. It was followed by the band flying out on the hot dog for the third time, which was appropriate to the occasion.

Complain that the NYE gag was unoriginal? Get your head out of your ass.

This.

I also got a good laugh out of the fact that there was such a "meatstick" theme, then the hotdog comes out  :-P

To me it was a good, well thought-out NYE gag  and they weren't trying to be a nostalgia act by doing the hot-dog thing, they were riding a fucking meatstick to the stage!
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

mattstick

I loved the NYE stunt, but thought the rest of the music played on 12/31 was typical 3.0 - no jamming, boring setlist, very few highlights.  Very little was "out of the box" for Phish, they're not pushing themselves creatively.

First set was a snoozer, second set started out slow and only picked up at the end, 3rd set was again short and uninspired.

Saying it was the worst NYE show ever isn't really that big of a complaint, the bar is set pretty high.  Tell me which NYE shows this was better than...

Marmar

QuoteDon't like the music? Fine. Tell me why and I might find your complaint valid.

Sounds like they are going thru the motions....

I'm shure it was a fun time, but the music is pure 3.0 "meh".......
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

willsteele

I watched the video of the new years "gag" and thought it was awesome.  It was funny and entertaining and I wish I was there for it.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

aphineday

Quote from: mattstick on January 03, 2011, 09:48:00 AM

I loved the NYE stunt, but thought the rest of the music played on 12/31 was typical 3.0 - no jamming, boring setlist, very few highlights.  Very little was "out of the box" for Phish, they're not pushing themselves creatively.

First set was a snoozer, second set started out slow and only picked up at the end, 3rd set was again short and uninspired.

Saying it was the worst NYE show ever isn't really that big of a complaint, the bar is set pretty high.  Tell me which NYE shows this was better than...
This.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

G. Augusto

Quote from: aphineday on January 03, 2011, 10:05:11 AM
Quote from: mattstick on January 03, 2011, 09:48:00 AM

This.

That.

sunrisevt

See, that's sensible. I don't share your (Mar, matt, Aug) feelings or agree with your assessment, but I respect your judgments as having a rational basis.
:beers:
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

susep

Quote from: susep73 on January 01, 2011, 01:05:24 AM
Quote from: Superfreakie on January 01, 2011, 01:01:38 AM
pHiSh
2010-12-31
Madison Square Garden
New York, NY

SET I: Punch You in the Eye, AC/DC Bag, Moma Dance, Scent of a Mule, Burn that Bridge*, Weigh, Ocelot@, Beauty of my Dreams, Gone, Rock and Roll

SET II: Wilson, 46 Days, Sand, NICU, DWD>GHOST>YEM>Manteca jam>YEM

SET III: Meatstick%>After Midnight, Backwards Down the Number Line, Piper>Free, Waste, Slave to the Traffic Light, Grind

ENCORE: First Tube

*First time played with Phish. (Should of forever remained a soundcheck song)
@With Auld Lang Syne tease
%With dancers from countries around the world singing lyrics in their mother tongues.

highlights in bold.  everything else = meh.

:wink:

thatfargone

Quote from: cactusfan on January 02, 2011, 06:23:33 PM
ghost was okay.

i liked the YEM. the shoemouth jamming cracked me up and mike kills.

that's all i've heard so far...

Thats really about it.  Add the Meatstick stuff only if you were there. :wink:
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

VDB

So I finally just listened to this Ghost. More properly, watched it:

Who in their right mind is not all over this Ghost? Are you kidding me??  :banana: I feel like going on a Gumbo-inspired yeeeaaaaooowww woooooeeeeeeyy-fest!!!!!  (Where the hell is that guy anyway??)

No seriously, I'm a sucker for this kind of uplifting, major-key thematic peaking. It's all like gaaaaahhhhh zzzrrrppoowww!!!!

But... since we are Phish fans and quibble over every little thing, here are mine:

1. I wish Fishman had handled (read: even attempted) the fills better during the final peak.
2. I wish the jam hadn't resolved right away to the Ghost theme... they could have kept the jam theme within itself and brought it down to a nice, soft, thoroughly satisfying landing.

But whatever... this jam is absolute ( . )( . ) in any era, and especially remarkable in this day and age.

/that is all

Edit: I just watched again (stream version). Pure fucking hose.   :clap:  :crazy:  :music:
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

So, I've been working my way through HarpuaFSB's youtubes of this show while I work today and I just noticed this:

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul