News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12/31 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Superfreakie, January 01, 2011, 01:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redrum

Quote from: postjack on January 01, 2011, 10:31:01 AM
pretty surprised at the negativity in this thread,

not even gona bother reading it now.

Quote from: Marmar on January 01, 2011, 10:00:39 AM
Bringing back the hotdog?  LAME......

if that's lame, phish being lame makes me an extremely happy person.

:beers:

Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

Multibeast12

would of loved to see that. I can't wait to catch a New Years show.

fractalspikes

whoa... came here hoping to read some good reviews.  :-P

i guess this is the jaded vets thread.   :wink:

mbw

Quote from: Multibeast12 on January 01, 2011, 11:35:36 AM
would of loved to see that. I can't wait to catch a New Years show.

if you hit one up in the future, your odds are pretty good....

:evil:

mistercharlie

Quote from: fractalspikes on January 01, 2011, 11:37:26 AM
whoa... came here hoping to read some good reviews.  :-P

i guess this is the jaded vets thread.   :wink:

What you didn't know? The Paug is for Jaded vets and 3.0 n00bs, with nothing in between.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Caravan2001

wow...so much hate up in this piece.....Musty have been a great time had by all, I am sure...I was jammed up by the stream (didn't work until Rock and Roll and crapped out for good during Free) but I had fun watching...The ghost was P.I.M.P....NYE shows are rarely top to bottom barn burners, it's about the experience....I thought the hotdog was cool, I mean it's been 10 years....Sand was dope too...

Caravan2001

pretty surprised at the negativity in this thread, even for this crowd. show was an outstanding experience on every level from the inside. sorry the jams weren't double digit minute lengths, but they were tight in the right places and chaotic and sloppy when they needed to be. tension and release rawk Trey whipped the crowd into a frenzy.

and hating on the hotdog? really? it was a magical moment. when the meatstick balloons fell I definitely teared up. energy level was off the charts the entire show/run.

say what you will, Phish are still the undisputed masters of the holy NYE celebration. no other live band comes close to their zaniness, antics, and vision.

remember when we used to get jams every night but with a smaller selection of songs in a given year? now we get a whole lot of different songs with a smaller selection of extended jams every year. that tweezer two nights ago was ser, and there have been a handful of other extended jams this year that we breeze over because we want every set two to be 5-6 songs like it was in 98.

I typically try to avoid ranting about hate, since i discovered early it's a useless endeavor, but call it the codependent in me but I feel like the lack of acceptance for the reality of the contemporary Phish universe has got to be creating some level of misery inside you. Phish will never be the band they were in the early 90s, mid 90s, late 90s, PH, or yesterday. they will change, you either dig it or you don't. but what I've seen these past two nights are four guys busting their asses to try and create a party for their fans. and a badass party is definitely going down.

I do love you all. happy new year!

this post from my iPhone fueled by a Starbucks on park ave.

this

williaa

Quote from: mistercharlie on January 01, 2011, 08:27:23 AM
Quote from: williaa on January 01, 2011, 04:59:29 AM
It needs to be said...

N.I.C.-EWWWWW

Ghost was definitely the highlight for me.  The Multicultural Meatstick was hilarious and awesome all at the same time.

We left during the First Tube encore and got into the lobby of MSG where we thought they were playing the music over the PA (definitely Phish).  Really spacey jam fucking incredible, then all of a sudden Trey comes on and says "we'll be back in 15 minutes."  My buddy and I look at each other flabbergasted, thinking we just left and Phish is about to play a 4th set.  Moments later they start playing Sparkle... still confused, we stand there for another few minutes as more people are walking out.  Axilla comes on next...

I then realized that we were listening to a playlist of 12/31/95 being played in the lobby of MSG as everyone walks out. :x

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Although, how could you hear 95 Phish and think it was 2010 phish?  :roll:

It was very very quiet, couldn't hear any bass.  They did sound too "on point" especially during sparkle.  It was just rather silly in all honesty

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Caravan2001 on January 01, 2011, 12:18:51 PM
pretty surprised at the negativity in this thread, even for this crowd. show was an outstanding experience on every level from the inside. sorry the jams weren't double digit minute lengths, but they were tight in the right places and chaotic and sloppy when they needed to be. tension and release rawk Trey whipped the crowd into a frenzy.

and hating on the hotdog? really? it was a magical moment. when the meatstick balloons fell I definitely teared up. energy level was off the charts the entire show/run.

say what you will, Phish are still the undisputed masters of the holy NYE celebration. no other live band comes close to their zaniness, antics, and vision.

remember when we used to get jams every night but with a smaller selection of songs in a given year? now we get a whole lot of different songs with a smaller selection of extended jams every year. that tweezer two nights ago was ser, and there have been a handful of other extended jams this year that we breeze over because we want every set two to be 5-6 songs like it was in 98.

I typically try to avoid ranting about hate, since i discovered early it's a useless endeavor, but call it the codependent in me but I feel like the lack of acceptance for the reality of the contemporary Phish universe has got to be creating some level of misery inside you. Phish will never be the band they were in the early 90s, mid 90s, late 90s, PH, or yesterday. they will change, you either dig it or you don't. but what I've seen these past two nights are four guys busting their asses to try and create a party for their fans. and a badass party is definitely going down.

this
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

danje

I really hate to hate, but Trey sounded really bad at way too many points last night. I thought the third set was a trainwreck. Wtf happened in Piper?

rowjimmy

I think it's cool that they brought the hot dog back.

R.I.P. Captain Beefheart

What little I heard of set one was not adequate to judge any of the music.

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: Caravan2001 on January 01, 2011, 12:18:51 PM

this

Absolutely love your post!!!
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mattstick

I thought the Meatstick NYE and Hot Dog was great stuff, but the rest of the show was lite on jams and setlist creativity.  I just don't think the band is progressing, they're stuck in this 3.0/no jams/playing is solid but lots of mistakes...

I still feel like the high point since the return was Red Rocks/Gorge '09.

mistercharlie

Quote from: mattstick on January 01, 2011, 04:02:36 PM
I still feel like the high point since the return was Red Rocks/Gorge '09.

Red Rocks is clearly the apex of 3.0. I listen to those shows on a very regular basis.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.