News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

New turntable/speakers

Started by aphineday, January 01, 2011, 01:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Quote from: PIE-GUY on September 21, 2011, 06:01:53 PM
You should start an "ask Mr. Guru" thread...

Speaking of, tell me about that fancy wireless setup y'all sell... is it worth it? Is there a good way to listen to vinyl through it? Does it sound sweet?

It's pretty sweet, but it is intended for home theater use really.

You could hook a turntable into it, but you would need a phono preamp and the Summit transmitter box only has an 1/8" analog input, which admittedly is kinda lame.

If it were me I would get a pair of our Verus towers, they sound better anyway and you don't need a 5.1 set up to rock your vinyl. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Hicks on September 21, 2011, 11:43:47 PM

Speaking of, tell me about that fancy wireless setup y'all sell... is it worth it? Is there a good way to listen to vinyl through it? Does it sound sweet?

You could hook a turntable into it, but you would need a phono preamp and the Summit transmitter box only has an 1/8" analog input, which admittedly is kinda lame.

If it were me I would get a pair of our Verus towers, they sound better anyway and you don't need a 5.1 set up to rock your vinyl.

this is my dilemma - moving into a new house where the TV and the stereo must coexist in a single space. I would like to avoid having an extra set of speakers in the room just for vinyl.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Hicks

Quote from: PIE-GUY on September 22, 2011, 12:45:50 AM
Quote from: Hicks on September 21, 2011, 11:43:47 PM

this is my dilemma - moving into a new house where the TV and the stereo must coexist in a single space. I would like to avoid having an extra set of speakers in the room just for vinyl.

No problemo, integrate the Verus towers into a 5.1 system and then throw the receiver into two channel stereo when you are listening to records.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mattstick

* mattstick rocks 2.1 for lyphe!

tet

i'm going to be going to a much smaller and more streamlined setup when moving to our new place (hopefully soon).  i've done lots of research and listening, and decided on a set of 5 Orb speakers for surround, and keeping my Klipsch sub for some serious punch - just hoping a 12" sub can keep up!  i was surprised how awesome the Orbs sounded, but nothing beats that price for high quality surrounds, and popping them into 2.1 sounded fantastic too.  definitely not a true audiophile setup, but it's as good as i'm gonna have while living in a Manhattan apartment, and anyway I still have my Grados for some more oomph when i need it (those come right off my Bellari preamp so I always get a beautiful sound that way).  almost definitely upgrading a Marantz SR 6006 amp in the process as well, which will be a nice step up as well.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

Marmar

I just scored a set of Polk Monitor 60's for mains, Monitor 40's for rears, a CS10 for the center and a pair of LSiFX dipole/bipole for my height speakers......

All for UNDER $1000....

Gotta love the internet!
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

aphineday

Quote from: Marmar on November 01, 2011, 11:28:13 AM
I just scored a set of Polk Monitor 60's for mains, Monitor 40's for rears, a CS10 for the center and a pair of LSiFX dipole/bipole for my height speakers......

All for UNDER $1000....

Gotta love the internet!
:crazy: :crazy: :clap:
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

Marmar

Quote from: aphineday on November 01, 2011, 12:05:31 PM
Quote from: Marmar on November 01, 2011, 11:28:13 AM

All for UNDER $1000....

Gotta love the internet!
:crazy: :crazy: :clap:

ya, im really excited to get it all set up....granted it won't even come close to my McIntosh's that were lost, but hell.....it's better than nothing.....

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

Marmar

Thanks Terry but I don't think you'll be seeing a set of XRT's popping up on craigslist any time soon.....and I doubt I'll ever find another deal like I had on them when I bought them for 1/3 the price.......new.....

All my "gear" was surprisingly ok after cleaning the living daylights outta it....lots of contact cleaner and wire drier did the trick....only had to replace the tube sockets on my preamp and my power amps, and one output transformer.....I got lucky there....but the speakers are what killed me....$100,000 set of speakers.... :(

ytowndan

What do you guys think about this table/cartridge?  What do you guys think is a good price?  Also, I'm particularly interested in when you would say "meh, it's not worth it" and walk away.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170724184769&category=48649&sspagename=rvireg:1:1&autorefresh=true
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

rowjimmy

Quote from: ytowndan on November 08, 2011, 02:21:56 AM
What do you guys think about this table/cartridge?  What do you guys think is a good price?  Also, I'm particularly interested in when you would say "meh, it's not worth it" and walk away.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170724184769&category=48649&sspagename=rvireg:1:1&autorefresh=true

I'm getting exactly that turntable from my grandparents' house (eventually.)
I've done some reading and some consider this the best of the Dual tts but there's always a variety of other opinions.

The 1219 was made in the early 70s. My Dual 506 was a late 70s model and I love it. I can't tell you how much is too much to pay but you can be sure that it's not gonna go for as cheap as it's currently running.

roggae

Quote from: ytowndan on November 08, 2011, 02:21:56 AM

I'd say now it's not worth it. I'm not an expert though I've had a record player in my system my entire life. The table I had the longest was a music hall 2.1. Upgrade the stock cartridge and you most likely will have your last turntable.
Clearly it's all awful.

mattstick

I have that same one, I paid $125 CAD.  Love it.

ytowndan

Thanks for the input, guys.  I'm still gonna shop around, but I'll definitely keep my eye on this. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.