News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

01/01 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Superfreakie, January 01, 2011, 11:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunrisevt

Quote from: cactusfan on January 06, 2011, 06:50:48 PM
...which all sounds rather negative. my point being, then, that this is a standard good show for 3.0, but---where are the blowjobs? i demand more blowjobs in my shows!

^^^No, no, no, silly--we come here for the blowjobs, after the show!
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

McGrupp

Quote from: sunrisevt on January 06, 2011, 06:59:38 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on January 06, 2011, 06:50:48 PM
...which all sounds rather negative. my point being, then, that this is a standard good show for 3.0, but---where are the blowjobs? i demand more blowjobs in my shows!

^^^No, no, no, silly--we come here for the blowjobs, after the show!

I was gonna say, I saw way too much of sunrise in the hallways during the show for this to be true.

Unless the blowjobs are in the hallways, and he's just holding out on us!

The people demand to know!
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sunrisevt

George, I can't in good conscience divulge to you the locations of the many glory holes that dot MSG.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

birdman

He'll find out next year.
It's his turn on the other side of the glory hole.
Paug FTMFW!

sunrisevt

Poster Nutbag

As of 01/01/11 – You can hear that a solid foundation has been set.

If you look back on the year 2010 of Phish's playing and shows after listening to this entire run you should be able to see that they're breaking down barriers in their playing and are seemingly evolving again, very slowly, but they're evolving again. I think during the year of `09 they realized how much continuity and closeness they lost between one another, not to mention their ability to play some of their songs again with the ease they were playing them in the nineties. I think they all tried tentatively to find themselves and play at a level they could be happy with, especially Trey who is under the most pressure to perform being in the lead, while at the same time going through other identity and drug problems.

The band in `09 had some moments (i.e. The Gorge) and also some jams in songs like the Ghost, DWD, and Light all of which were much better in 2009 than 2010 in my opinion. But the jams in `09 still were picked apart, categorized mostly as type 1 jamming and somewhat discarded as nothing special. I think the band was aware of this all on their own, and was validated in thinking so from the helping slapping hand of all the Phish blog sites on the net and came to the conclusion or admitted that they needed some time to really jell together again and decided to take a step back and slowly evolve the band again. I mean many of you guy's bitch with all these expectations of the greatness and exploration that Phish had in the 90's, and you just seem to pass over the difficulty involved after coming off a 5 year layoff and a lead guitarist who is just getting started on sobriety, giving him a whole different mindset into how he finds his inspiration of improve. All this is the makings for so many psychological complexities and difficulties just for Trey, not to mention how it affects all of the interactions of the band as a unit of what used to be. It's almost crazy in my eyes not to think that it would take at least two years, if not three for them to recuperate from this and have that inner depth to their jams that they used to have after playing together for about 10 years. And you also have to take away the adventure of it, since they are just trying to retrace their own steps to find their way back to what they were doing before, instead of evolving into the state of the fluid funk jams that were so impeccably timed they led you to a psychedelic trance with so much depth that they transcended you to a heightened state of consciousness and being.

The jams and playing lagged in 2010 because of Trey's major gaff being the Wah-Wah peddle which impeded a lot more possible jams and his playing as a whole. This was a setback for them as a band, but I think it was a learning experience to Trey which just made him stronger for working through his shitty ass mistakes. Him getting the Ocedoc was obviously a huge help to ending that, marked by some of Phish's best playing of the year at Berkeley, now the Whammy peddle is now back to being used properly if at all, Thank Fucking God!!! We've seen some good playing since then such as Utica, Manchester, the shows in Telluride were enlightening too, and this run as far as I'm concerned.  Trey during this run watching him closely via the flash video streams is starting to show signs of inner confidence and it's showing in his playing, He's really not missing many notes that affect the flow of any of their songs, the rock peaks which many of you are somewhat bitterly complaining about are getting much more intense and really reaching a climatic height again!! Phish did do a lot of this in the early to mid 90's if you think about it, not everything was about the jams. If you watch Trey's approach to both his vocals, such as the way he nearly flawlessly sings those versus to My Friend My Friend, and the way he is just strutting with confidence in the Sally jam right after small vocal jam it's starting to show. He is again standing back looking into the crowd with that eager look on his face just running through the chords in most of these songs!! The band as whole are evolving again, they do want the excitement and feel of IT again and for it to be fresh again, which is very hard to do, which is why I think they pull out all the stops as far as the major, once sacred bust-outs go. Just keep watching and my money is that they will continue to grow as a band again, and may one day flourish into a great jamming improve band again probably not quite as good as they used to be but with a few extra spices that they did not have in the 90's.

The point being is settle down on your hyper-critical analysis's, Trey and Phish are not doing this for the money, they don't want just to become some nostalgia act, which in my opinion would break their hearts and just lead to the next ending of Phish, so there for I totally disagree with the point that the crowd is ok with the way we are playing then so then they are too. Which if I was Trey and read that would take as a huge insult to both his musical integrity, but to him as a person also!! Phish in the 90's took a lot of time and a shit load of effort and was the biggest adventure these four peeps ever endured in their lives, and you people bark, bark and bark about the fact that they just can't snap their fingers and wiggle their noses to make that sort of magic reappear on stage again, being professionals or not it just doesn't work like that.
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

susep

Quote from: Poster Nutbag on January 06, 2011, 09:27:35 PM
and you people bark, bark and bark about the fact that they just can't snap their fingers and wiggle their noses to make that sort of magic reappear on stage again, being professionals or not it just doesn't work like that.

indeed it does not.  my idea about 3.0 is the analogy of a professional athlete.  Typically athletes peak near their mid to late 30's.  Yes there are exceptions but the idea is your biology has peaked and you're not going to be that young virtuoso purely based on entropy.  Its like meeting Bill Russell and saying "hey man, can you still touch the top of the backboard?"   

postjack

great read Poster, +k.

personally i think the real problem with a having a 1/1 show right after a NYE run is people on internet sites are too worn out and cranky to give a proper review afterwards. :wink:
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: susep73 on January 06, 2011, 09:58:55 PM
Quote from: Poster Nutbag on January 06, 2011, 09:27:35 PM
and some of you people bark, bark and bark about the fact that they just can't snap their fingers and wiggle their noses to make that sort of magic reappear on stage again, being professionals or not it just doesn't work like that.

indeed it does not.  my idea about 3.0 is the analogy of a professional athlete.  Typically athletes peak near their mid to late 30's.  Yes there are exceptions but the idea is your biology has peaked and you're not going to be that young virtuoso purely based on entropy.  Its like meeting Bill Russell and saying "hey man, can you still touch the top of the backboard?"   

Yes!! Trey peaked awhile back, agreed!! and that was supposed to read some of you people, because most critique shows on a normal level and lay down praise when they deserve it for where the band is at now...   

It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

Superfreakie

Quote from: Poster Nutbag on January 06, 2011, 10:23:39 PM
and that was supposed to read some of you people, because most critique shows on a normal level and lay down praise when they deserve it for where the band is at now...

Grammar motherfucker? Do you write it?
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: Superfreakie on January 06, 2011, 11:27:04 PM
and that was supposed to read some of you people, because most critique shows on a normal level and lay down praise when they deserve it for where the band is at now...

Well sometimes yes motherfucker I do write grammar, but I try and avoid when ever possible, that way there it creates less confusion amongst the diversity of the masses.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Poster Nutbag on January 07, 2011, 12:55:59 AM

Well sometimes yes motherfucker I do write grammar, but I try and avoid when ever possible, that way there it creates less confusion amongst the diversity of the masses.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :clap: :clap: :clap:
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

nab

What you be sayin his hu jus' don gif a fuc!!!!!!!!!!!

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: nab on January 07, 2011, 01:15:05 AM

What you be sayin his hu jus' don gif a fuc!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I guess it is worthless to try and make some valid points of my own, since I don't have the writing skills of some who post here, I really didn't think it read all that badly to just tear apart my grammar. It was sort of obvious that Superfreakie was just busting my stones a little bit, but truly all I was doing when I wrote "you people" at the end of my post was playing off of a somewhat well known movie line for effect at that point within the post. 

I guess posting here is absolute SER BIZ!!!