News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

01/01 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Superfreakie, January 01, 2011, 11:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Poster Nutbag on January 06, 2011, 09:27:35 PM
Trey during this run watching him closely via the flash video streams is starting to show signs of inner confidence and it's showing in his playing, He's really not missing many notes that affect the flow of any of their songs, the rock peaks which many of you are somewhat bitterly complaining about are getting much more intense and really reaching a climatic height again!! Phish did do a lot of this in the early to mid 90's if you think about it, not everything was about the jams. If you watch Trey's approach to both his vocals, such as the way he nearly flawlessly sings those versus to My Friend My Friend, and the way he is just strutting with confidence in the Sally jam right after small vocal jam it's starting to show. He is again standing back looking into the crowd with that eager look on his face just running through the chords in most of these songs!!

This kind of makes the point I've been trying to make all along. I like this style of Phish. This is the Phish I got into in 1992-94.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: PIE-GUY on January 07, 2011, 09:04:07 AM
Quote from: Poster Nutbag on January 06, 2011, 09:27:35 PM
Trey during this run watching him closely via the flash video streams is starting to show signs of inner confidence and it's showing in his playing, He's really not missing many notes that affect the flow of any of their songs, the rock peaks which many of you are somewhat bitterly complaining about are getting much more intense and really reaching a climatic height again!! Phish did do a lot of this in the early to mid 90's if you think about it, not everything was about the jams. If you watch Trey's approach to both his vocals, such as the way he nearly flawlessly sings those versus to My Friend My Friend, and the way he is just strutting with confidence in the Sally jam right after small vocal jam it's starting to show. He is again standing back looking into the crowd with that eager look on his face just running through the chords in most of these songs!!

This kind of makes the point I've been trying to make all along. I like this style of Phish. This is the Phish I got into in 1992-94.
My favourite kind of Phish and it's not like they don't jam at all.  They set the bar very high in terms of jammiong in the latter part of the 90's through 2004 so that now, we don't accept a 3 - 4 minute extension of a song.  It's gotta get way out there, which is cool, if that's how you like your Phish.  I enjoy that as well but I'd rather they drop that sort of 30 min improv once every couple of shows as opposed to every night.  I'm happy with a 10 minute Ghost or a 12 minute Tweezer.  I am also grading their jamming on a 3.0 curve.  I still feel they haven't gotten to where they want to be and there will be more improvement if they keep going at this pace.  But right now, I'm happy with where they are and where I feel they're going.  I guess I just love  :phish:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

emay

I felt that Trey was a little more on point with his rhythmic guitar playing in this show more than the other two MSG shows.
Some parts of 12/30 it seemed like he couldn't keep in sync with fishman for the life of him...

blatboom

Hicks

Quote from: blatboom on January 07, 2011, 05:58:51 PM
not only does Trey miss notes he misses entire runs.

And then people still say he "nailed" it.   :roll:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

G. Augusto

Quote from: Hicks on January 07, 2011, 06:02:11 PM
Quote from: blatboom on January 07, 2011, 05:58:51 PM
not only does Trey miss notes he misses entire runs.

And then people still say he "nailed" it.   :roll:

You guys talkin' about the NYE run?
HEY YO!

Poster Nutbag

Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

Hicks

I don't see how anyone could listen to the Twist, Simple sequence and not think it is easily the best 20 minute sequence of the run.  Probably some of the best improv I have heard since the Greek Light.
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: Hicks on January 08, 2011, 06:38:10 PM
I don't see how anyone could listen to the Twist, Simple sequence and not think it is easily the best 20 minute sequence of the run.  Probably some of the best improv I have heard since the Greek Light.

Yes, this is my favorite Twist of 3.0... I like it better than the oye coma va teased out Twist... any others worth a note?? Crossyed is awesome to start it off and it's a really good Salley too, bursts with some energy and Trey really just "nails" it...   

It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

WhatstheUse?

I can't see that.   

I just re-visited this segment -- I enjoyed it a lot, Trey's playing is on point.... BUT..... where's my type 2 yo?!

The only REAL jamming out of this segment is literally the last 2:30 of Simple.  Everything else is pretty straight forward.

Bring in the dude!

Hicks

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 08, 2011, 07:49:27 PM

I can't see that.   

I just re-visited this segment -- I enjoyed it a lot, Trey's playing is on point.... BUT..... where's my type 2 yo?!

The only REAL jamming out of this segment is literally the last 2:30 of Simple.  Everything else is pretty straight forward.

It may not be type II but the Twist has the effortless quality that has been missing, so I give high marks for that.

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 08, 2011, 07:49:27 PM

I can't see that.   

aiming for balance... I find this post to be anti-1/01/11-love hate...