News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Hangout Music Fest 2011

Started by Lifeboy, February 01, 2011, 02:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lifeboy

Not sure if it's already been posted. I didn't see it, so here it is.

http://hangoutmusicfest.com/

Paul Simon · Foo Fighters · Widespread Panic

The Black Keys · My Morning Jacket · Flaming Lips

Cee Lo Green · Primus · Michael Franti & Spearhead ·

Pretty Lights · Bassnectar · Girl Talk

Ween ·Matisyahu · Warren Haynes Band · Umphrey's McGee ·

Slightly Stoopid · Drive-By Truckers Amos Lee · G. Love & Special Sauce ·

Medeski, Martin & Wood · Keller Williams · Galactic

Xavier Rudd · Minus The Bear · Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue ·

Portugal. the Man  Beats Antique · Dead Confederate ·

Jonathan Tyler & Northern Lights · Easy Star All-Stars

Mariachi El Bronx · Truth & Salvage Co · Kristy Lee ·

Civil Twilight · Rich Aucoin · A Thousand Horses · Jon Black · Cass Haley · Roman Street
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

Undermind

That's a pretty sweet line up.  Wish I could go!
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

Buffalo Budd

That is a decent lineup.  I would love to cat h Paul Simon sometime.  I had tickets to see him with Garfunkel but Art strained his voice and they cancelled.  I would have been happy just seeing Paul.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

postjack

Bought my tickets a couple weeks ago in the presale, so I've been closely watching the rumors. I already knew about Panic, UM, MMW, Foo Fighters, and Flaming Lips, but Paul Simon came completely out of left field. I think he was a last minute add, because they were supposed to announce the lineup Thursday, but delayed a few days to negotiate one more BNA, per their Facebook. I also didn't expect Primus, MMJ, Black Keys, or Ween. Ween I could have guessed because the Brown Nation has been all over Hangout's Facebook all year demanding moar boognish, but I didn't hear any rumors.

Also WHB, Pretty Lights, Girl Talk, Trombone Shorty, Galactic, Big Sam's Funky Nation? Yeah I'm stoked. Hangout is a no brainer for me since its a quick drive down to the beach, hour tops.

Panic might phone it in festival style but who knows, its OB, and with no Wharf run they might bring the heat. I will not have seen them in over a year an a half (assuming I don't make Oak Mountain, not sure yet) so I'll be hoping to be impressed.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

postjack

Back home showered and in bed. A great weekend, but some logistical fuck ups on the part of the festival organizers prevented it from being the magical experience it was last year. In short, they weren't ready for the sell out crowd of 35,000. I'll post a detailed review later, but the biggest disappointment was the pitiful sound on the secondary headliner stage. Unless you were at the soundboard or closer, you couldnt really hear it. Really pathetic. This is the stage where MMJ, Primus, Black Keys, Lips, and Ween played. I got up front for Ween, but all the other acts were pretty much ruined because it wasn't loud enough.

The main stage on the other hand was fantastic. The tent stage was a nightmare. Over blown bass drowned out everything, and the crowding was at scary levels. So many people crammed into that tent.

Also the gates opened Friday after 1:30pm, and the first acts (including kdtu) started at 1:30. It took me an hour to get inside after the gates opened. Amateur bullshit.

Also, I didn't use the shuttles, but apparently they were a total failure again this year.

So that is the negative points. I assure you I still had a blast, and heard tons of great music, but on the whole Hangout failed to deliver the experience they wanted to.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

whatthecello42

Did you catch Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue?  I saw them at a free show at Musikfest in Bethlehem, PA last year.  I was only a couple of feet from the stage which was only about 3 or 4 feet off the ground, and there was no barrier between the stage and the audience.  It was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

zackonthetrain

So iclips streamed a lot of it the whole weekend and i ended up watching umphreys( who played an awesome gf is better), grace potter(so hot), warren haynes band, primus, and the flaming lips. they streamed way more but thats all i caught.

i must say that the festival looked awesome being rite against the water, seriously looked like an amazing place to party. im super jeolous

i really enjoyed primus and umphrys, but its bittersweet that ppl far away couldnt hear it. overall one of the better lineups ive seen at a festival in a long while, musta been fun.

some real hot lookin southern chicks in the crowd too

"a good sauce can't save a bad noodle"

postjack

Quote from: whatthecello42 on May 23, 2011, 01:32:03 AM
Did you catch Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue?  I saw them at a free show at Musikfest in Bethlehem, PA last year.  I was only a couple of feet from the stage which was only about 3 or 4 feet off the ground, and there was no barrier between the stage and the audience.  It was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Caught Trombone Shorty's set a few weeks ago at Jazzfest. Best set of the weekend, he tears it up. But at Hangout his set was during Ween, and I couldn't miss Ween.

Quote from: zackonthetrain on May 23, 2011, 11:59:04 AM
So iclips streamed a lot of it the whole weekend and i ended up watching umphreys( who played an awesome gf is better), grace potter(so hot), warren haynes band, primus, and the flaming lips. they streamed way more but thats all i caught.

i must say that the festival looked awesome being rite against the water, seriously looked like an amazing place to party. im super jeolous

i really enjoyed primus and umphrys, but its bittersweet that ppl far away couldnt hear it. overall one of the better lineups ive seen at a festival in a long while, musta been fun.

Its a fantastic place to have a festival. I've been going down to Gulf Shores my whole life, its beautiful. The best part is dancing on that soft sand instead of dirt and grass. Just feels so much more clean. I really didn't mind the hot sun beating down on my so long as I was chilling in the sand next to the Gulf. Feels more natural that way. tons of hot chicks of course.

gah

Quote from: postjack on May 23, 2011, 05:36:49 PM
Quote from: whatthecello42 on May 23, 2011, 01:32:03 AM

Caught Trombone Shorty's set a few weeks ago at Jazzfest. Best set of the weekend, he tears it up. But at Hangout his set was during Ween, and I couldn't miss Ween.

Quote from: zackonthetrain on May 23, 2011, 11:59:04 AM

Its a fantastic place to have a festival. I've been going down to Gulf Shores my whole life, its beautiful. The best part is dancing on that soft sand instead of dirt and grass. Just feels so much more clean. I really didn't mind the hot sun beating down on my so long as I was chilling in the sand next to the Gulf. Feels more natural that way. tons of hot chicks of course.

First, T Shorty is ridiculously awesome.

Second, pj, your review reflects a lot of what I've read elsewhere too re: crowding and sound issues. That's really too bad because it does look like a gorgeous way to see music. Only other complaint I heard was not enough shaded areas to catch a break in, oh well.

3rdly, re: your final sentiment:

:-D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

postjack

honestly the no shade really wasn't an issue for me. On the blacktop concrete it was rough. That concrete is just so full of heat, standing on it in the afternoon sun is unbearable. However, the minute you hit the beach and lay out your towel and just chill, all smothered in the sunscreen near the waves, I could care less about no heat. It feels amazing. Something about the sand makes the heat not just tolerable but enjoyable.

Having said that, I could see how the more yankee-esque festival goers would be more bothered by the heat. :-)

A few brief musical highlights:

Friday

Umphrey's McGee - Tore it UP! one hell of a 7 song set, tons of awesome improv. Its experiences like this that make me wonder why I'm chasing Phish expecting musical improv, when I could catch umphreys for like $20-30 and have my mind blown. I know the answer is I have a deep emotional connection to Phish's songs (its always about the songs), but in terms of pure spontaneous art, UM brings it. I'm also liking their songs more the more I see them, so who knows, they might start getting some of my Phish money soon.

After this tried to catch Bassnectar, but the crowded tent made it impossible. Instead was back to the beach for

Warren Haynes Band - It was a fun set. Some funky grooves and good playing. I have to admit it was fun chilling on the beach listening to Warren do his thing, even though I'm not as big a warren fan as I used to be.

MMJ - Always a pleasure to catch MMJ, but this set was marred by the terrible (quiet) sound at the Surf Style stage. Still a good set, but I am glad to be catching them later this summer. The new record is fantastic.

WSP - I haven't seen Panic since BJCC 09, and I danced my ass off this set. I'm not a big Bust It Big fan, but when they dropped a PERFECT fucking segue into Mr. Soul I lost my mind. The other highlight was a gnarly Fairies Wear Boots (yes yes yes!) and a driving > blight > driving. warren sat in somewhere in there as well. A really solid festival set IMO, with some seriously funky jamming. Panic segues slay the shit out of 3.0 Phish segues.

Saturday

Minus The Bear - Decent music I guess, I'd never heard them before.

Tried to catch Big Gigantic, but again the tent was too crowded, so we reluctantly headed to catch

Cee-Lo Green - anyone who read any coverage on the fest knows that cee-lo was late, so instead the Foo Fighters came out to play a surprise set. Definitely one of the highlights of the festival! It was a few covers: School's Out, Tie Your Mother Down (!! fucking queen right on), Breakdown, and then Darling Nikki, which cee-lo then came out and started to play with them. we left when cee-lo came out to catch primus.

Primus - Biggest let down of the entire festival. I heard it was well played by those up front, but I wouldn't know. I was maybe less the 100 yards away and I could barely here a single note (surf style stage again). Just a light bass guitar sound and some semblance of vocals. I've been waiting to see Primus since 6th grade. In a weekend with a lot of highs, this is the single most disappointing moment I've ever had at a music festival. as far as I'm concerned the next time I see Primus will be my first time.

Avett Bros - It was nice chilling on the beach during this set. I dug myself a little seat and actually fell asleep for a little bit. I'm not a big Avett fan but the set was relaxing and well played.

Motorhead - Hell yeah are you fucking kidding me. I'm a metalhead and the chance to see Lemmy for the first time is a dream come true. Lemmy comes out and announces "We are Motorhead, we play rock and roll music" before launching into a full out metal assault. It was great because the Flaming Lips were playing down the beach, so you know everyone at this stage knew what the fuck was up. Great crowd, really into it. We caught about half the set and then went to catch half of the Lips, which was stupid BECAUSE IT WAS AT THE FUCKING SURF STYLE STAGE AND WE COULD BARELY HEAR IT. Yes I eventually learn my lesson, but not yet. I should have stayed for the whole Motorhead set because it was loud and raging, but what is done is done.

Foo Fighters - Possibly the best set of the weekend, no shit. This guys fucking BROUGHT IT. Of course my respect for them already jumped when they stepped in for Cee-Lo, but Grohl's graciousness and banter made me even more of a fan. He continually said this was the best festival he had ever played in twenty years. He told us all about his day, where he showed up at his condo, went for a swim, then took a nap, then ate a lobster, then played an afternoon set, then drank four coronas and took four shots of crown royal, then played the night set. It was a rocking good time. Its funny because I caught Foo Fighter's opening for RHCP when I was 17 years old. I didn't have high expectations then and they blew me away. Same thing happened this night. All my friends were there and we had an amazing time dancing to great rock and roll singles.

Sunday

DBT - tent is too crowded blah blah

Ween - at the dreaded Surf Style Stage, so I set up an hour before the set right behind the soundstage and just waited (learned my lesson). When Ween came out the sound was glorious. I had some trepidation considering some of Gene's recent antics, but I have to be honest, he has never sounded better. Beautiful perfect vocals! Fucking on point. Highlights include the best Spinal Meningitis I've heard, a Transdermal Celebration that just sucked the air out of me, a huge and unexpected You Fucked Up, and the three song closer of Ocean Man, The Golden Eel, The Mollusk. Notable banter: some people were anchored in a boat off shore, and Dean got on the mic to talk to them: "Hey, hey you, you on the boat. Can you hear me? FUCK YOU." And after the set was over, Dean also announced he was "going to go smoke a joint with Paul Simon".  :-D

Black Keys - surf style stage, too crowded, couldn't hear.

Paul Simon - caught about a half hour, good vibe, but I'm not familiar with the man's catalog. We all had to work the next day so we dipped out early.

gah

solid write-up pj, as always.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.