News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

*THE OFFICIAL Name that Jam Monday*

Started by G. Augusto, February 06, 2011, 07:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

I know it's wrong, but I'm just going to say 12/6/97 Twist because I have no clue.

Also, I hope to god this is from something other than '00, because this shit is AWESOME.

Multibeast12

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Multibeast12 on February 07, 2011, 09:02:51 PM
Shit is intense

That it is.  It's like an awesome YEM jam that you can tell is in another tune.

Sophist's 7/23/97 Ghost was the closest to the mark.

mistercharlie

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on February 07, 2011, 09:38:44 PM
Quote from: Multibeast12 on February 07, 2011, 09:02:51 PM
Shit is intense

That it is.  It's like an awesome YEM jam that you can tell is in another tune.

Sophist's 7/23/97 Ghost was the closest to the mark.

I really thought it was a YEM before I went with Twist and then was convinced it was a Piper. All I know is Trey is shredding the hell out of whatever it is.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

khalpin

The key/progression definitely screams YEM, but it's too fast, unless they sped up as it went along.

cactusfan

listening to a lot of jams is going to be much too time-consuming.

fortunately, i think there are enough clues to figure this out.

first off, to my ears the sound of the recording and of the music itself is clearly from fall '99.

the song sounds like it has to be either Disease or Piper.

Aug was quick to say that it wasn't ever featured in the Daily Dose. yet he did the dose for a long time, and ended it quite awhile back. does he really recall every track he put in there? doubtful. more likely, the mystery jam comes from a song he only heard for the first time recently.

but what hasn't Aug ever heard before? in another recent thread, he pointed out that two shows he'd never listened to were the Shoreline shows from '99. there's been time enough since then to check them out.

the second show on the 17th features a long, insane Piper which, along with the Sand, is probably the best thing in those shows..

Disease was not played at either show.

my guess is Piper, 9/17/99.

willsteele

super sleuthy cactusfan.

sounds like a yem or ghost jam to me.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

susep

definitely not a YEM.  the obvious thing about this jam is the foxey lady type chordal jam Trey uses ala 26Nov.1997 Character Zero but here its played faster.  this chordal jam/style was very common in Trey's playing circa '99-00.  my original guess is Piper from 15July2000 although it could be a Gin from the same tour(I know how much Aug loves those '00 Gin's;). 

sophist

I"m telling you guys, too much Trey rage to be that late in the game.  By mid-98 Trey was more keen on laying back in the pocket, even when it raged.  Way too many chromatic runs up in this bitch to be anything 98-00.  I say Summer 97.  The "flange" Jedi sound is all over this jam.  The kind of out of control "ramping" is pure Summer 97 to me. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

susep

Quote from: sophist on February 08, 2011, 10:21:08 AM
I"m telling you guys, too much Trey rage to be that late in the game.  By mid-98 Trey was more keen on laying back in the pocket, even when it raged.  Way too many chromatic runs up in this bitch to be anything 98-00.  I say Summer 97.  The "flange" Jedi sound is all over this jam.  The kind of out of control "ramping" is pure Summer 97 to me.

I disagree, Trey doesn't have that classic Summer '97 sound and tone.  He wasn't playing that fast in the Summer of '97, he was laying back more and again his tone was much different then what I'm hearing on this jam.   

sophist

Quote from: susep73 on February 08, 2011, 10:25:55 AM

I disagree, Trey doesn't have that classic Summer '97 sound and tone.  He wasn't playing that fast in the Summer of '97, he was laying back more and again his tone was much different then what I'm hearing on this jam.
Wait, are you saying Trey played faster in 99-00 than he did in 97?  Cause it reads that way. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

danje

Quote from: sophist on February 08, 2011, 10:32:57 AM

Wait, are you saying Trey played faster in 99-00 than he did in 97?  Cause it reads that way.

Listen to the last 2 minutes of the Boise DWD. Very similar shred to the jam Aug posted.

susep

generally speaking their jams in the Summer of '00 were jams like this, fast, a lot of type I(see the 1July2000 Ghost for ex.).  I don't remember hearing one jam from Summer '97 that sounds like this. 

mattstick

The jam which is nearly identical to this, but isn't it was 12/12/97 Piper.

sophist

Quote from: susep73 on February 08, 2011, 10:36:51 AM

generally speaking their jams in the Summer of '00 were jams like this, fast, a lot of type I(see the 1July2000 Ghost for ex.).  I don't remember hearing one jam from Summer '97 that sounds like this.
7/23/97 Ghost.  It's just like this.