News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

IBM's Watson a contestant on Jeoprady

Started by mattstick, February 15, 2011, 02:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

Last night was the first of 3 episodes where an IBM computer was competing on Jeoprady.  I really enjoyed it, made for great TV.

http://goo.gl/Iuar0

'Jeopardy' invites supercomputer Watson to destroy all humans

If supercomputers would like to enslave us feeble humans one day, they'll have to beat us at our own game first -- so how 'bout a "Jeopardy" match?

They'll get their chance Monday, when "Jeopardy" champs Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter face off against Watson, the world's most advanced question-answering system, built by IBM.

Even "Jeopardy" host Alex Trebek told us he feels a little threatened by this new robot genius. "When I met the IBM guys I said, 'Guys, I think it's only five years away before you can come up with a computer who can host 'Jeopardy.' "

Poster Nutbag

I heard about this on NPR a couple of times... Once when they were interviewing the makers of Watson... Pretty cool stuff!! There's a lot that goes into that, especially when Watson has to fingure out answers that are metaphorical...

Also it was said that Brad Rutter is the real genius of Jeoprady, in comparison to Ken Jennings... Even though Jennings has the longest run of 77 shows, to Brads 5... When Brad competed a limit of 5 shows was in place, but he virtually ran the table in a couple of them... 
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on February 15, 2011, 02:22:36 PM

Last night was the first of 3 episodes where an IBM computer was competing on Jeoprady.  I really enjoyed it, made for great TV.

http://goo.gl/Iuar0

'Jeopardy' invites supercomputer Watson to destroy all humans

If supercomputers would like to enslave us feeble humans one day, they'll have to beat us at our own game first -- so how 'bout a "Jeopardy" match?

They'll get their chance Monday, when "Jeopardy" champs Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter face off against Watson, the world's most advanced question-answering system, built by IBM.

Even "Jeopardy" host Alex Trebek told us he feels a little threatened by this new robot genius. "When I met the IBM guys I said, 'Guys, I think it's only five years away before you can come up with a computer who can host 'Jeopardy.' "

I know it's completely off topic, but that serie of words made me chuckle
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment