News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Round 2 - Abbey Road Region - 5-Bob Dylan vs. 4-The Rolling Stones

Started by UncleEbinezer, March 20, 2011, 06:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

point taken.
Instead of inventor, I'll say "master" of the modern guitar riff
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Hicks on March 21, 2011, 12:26:00 PM
Quote from: slslbs on March 21, 2011, 12:22:09 PM
in all due respect to Dave Davies, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddly, etc, the sheer volume of memorable riffs written by Richards outnumbers them all, combined.

In order to invent something though, you have to be first.

I'm reading Life - the Keef autobiography - and he writes a lot in the beginning about where and how he learned to do certain things on guitar. It's all imitation, but then so is every guitarist. He took all those influences and came up with his own thing that was innovative in its own way.

Still, we're not talking about guitar alone here. Dylan wins this round in my book.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Hicks

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 21, 2011, 12:35:48 PM
in all due respect to Dave Davies, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddly, etc, the sheer volume of memorable riffs written by Richards outnumbers them all, combined.

I'm reading Life - the Keef autobiography - and he writes a lot in the beginning about where and how he learned to do certain things on guitar. It's all imitation, but then so is every guitarist. He took all those influences and came up with his own thing that was innovative in its own way.

Still, we're not talking about guitar alone here. Dylan wins this round in my book.

I'm not denying that Keith was an innovative and influential guitarist, obviously dude looms huge over rock n' roll history, particularly in bringing the blues to a wider audience.

But as far as the big rock n' roll riff goes, I have to give it to The Kinks and You Really Got Me, which came out about a year before Satisfaction.

In any event, I went Dylan, I can appreciate the Stones but Dylan is on a whole other level of genius IMO.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sls.stormyrider

your both right in that

-nothing is truly original. everyone takes what came before and adds to it. it still requires creativity

-yes, You Really got me came out before Satisfaction, but the volume of Keith's work in that regard is much more impressive. How many people can name other Davies riffs beside You Really Got Me and All Day and All of the Night? When I think of the kinks, I tend to think more of Ray's songwriting, but maybe that's just me. If, for some crazy reason, my life depended on someone creating a riff on the spot, I'm calling Keith

this is still tough for me - I would say Dylan had more influence over what I listen to, if you include the many, many great covers of his songs in addition to his original versions.
Whiose album would I rather bring with me to a desert island - that's much tougher. As I type this, though, leaning toward Dylan.
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

sls.stormyrider

yep - that's what is making me lean toward Bobl

Beggars, Let it bleed, sticky Fingers, and Exile aren't bad contenders, though

JPhishman

Reading on my phone with names/avatars off screen, I knew this was Hicksspeak.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

Hicks

Quote from: JPhishman on March 21, 2011, 02:39:40 PM

Reading on my phone with names/avatars off screen, I knew this was Hicksspeak.

My ways, I have them. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: JPhishman on March 20, 2011, 07:56:13 PM
I've can appreciate Dylan's influence, but I've honestly never really enjoyed listening to him.

Stones
Bring in the dude!

mbw

PIE-GUY

PIE-GUY

And if you want some rock and roll preachin' of the highest order...

lifeboy13

Did you guys know that Dylan sought out Woody Guthrie in a nursing home or something of the like before Guthrie died and played folk music to him?  Dylan all the way !!
Good Day, Every Day!

sls.stormyrider

^^
Arlo tells some pretty entertaining stories about that.
then again, Arlo tells pretty entertaining stories about everything.

well -  done waffling