News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Round 2 - Gamehenge Region - 7-John Coltrane vs. 2-Talking Heads

Started by UncleEbinezer, March 20, 2011, 06:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGrupp

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 21, 2011, 08:52:14 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on March 21, 2011, 07:48:22 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 21, 2011, 05:18:49 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on March 21, 2011, 05:06:16 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 21, 2011, 04:54:35 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on March 21, 2011, 04:36:02 PM
I am going to be seriously pissed if coltrane loses this one.

Is this whole game about personal preference, or historical musical importance?

Sure, we're all phish fans who like wacky funk and psychedelic lyrics (I know there's more to them than that, just saying...) -  the Talking Heads are a great group, but can you really argue that they're more influential in music than John Coltrane? Someone please explain this to me.

This isn't about personal preference... it is about musical importance as it relates to my musical journey, though. It's going to be subjective. I mean, how does anyone choose Dre over P-Funk?

I love Coltrane. I understand where he fits in the jazz spectrum and how he influenced a lot of what I love (including the Dead). That said, Talking Heads has been an integral part of my musical life since high school. David Byrne is one of my heroes. I love what he does outside of music, too (art installations, urban activism, etc.). I have been influenced to a much greater degree by this man than by Coltrane. So, Talking Heads got my vote.

Similarly, while I understand James Brown's influence on society and music and whatever, may have been greater, the Meters have been a much larger part of my life, my connection to family roots in New Orleans, my love of Jazzfest, etc., so they got my vote.

It's not just personal preference, you see. It's influence. But it is subjective.

I'm not sure that I understand your differences between subjectivity and personal preference.

Let's talk NCAA - I'm a UVA fan (lulz, I know...) - I have been my whole life. UVA has been "a much larger part of my life", to use your words, than any other ncaa team. if they made it to the first round of the ncaa tourney and lost to say, Gonzaga, I might still *like* UVA more, but Gonzaga is obviously the better team.

So I see this whole thing as pretty objective, and not subjective at all. Is that not the point? Am I doing it wrong?  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

I'm telling you how I voted. The "team" in this case is the band or artist who garners the most votes... the band who has influenced the voting pool the most will win. They are, in this arena, on this day, the better team.

If you ask me, there is no way in hell that Dre should have beat out Little Feat... but the result didn't make me "pissed" either. It's the way this board feels. Deal with it.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

I'm not actually "pissed"  :roll: - I know this is just a little game. I think I just misunderstood the general voting and choosing process here. If we were voting based on the artist's historical influence and importance, I think a lot of my votes would be different than simply voting based on how the artist has affected me and how it is important to me. Y'know?

So even if I theoretically enjoyed Talking Heads music more, I'd probably vote for Coltrane and argue that he's more influential on a historical level, regardless of how awesome I think David Byrne is. That would be a no-brainer for me.

But since that's not how we're voting, I'm accepting it and moving on.

:beers:

It's a fine line, though. I voted for Radiohead over Ween in the first round even though I love Ween and don't particularly dig Radiohead... In this case, the historical significance far outweighed the personal preference. That's just not the case here.

For you.  :wink:
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Hicks

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 21, 2011, 08:52:14 PM

Sure, we're all phish fans who like wacky funk and psychedelic lyrics (I know there's more to them than that, just saying...) -  the Talking Heads are a great group, but can you really argue that they're more influential in music than John Coltrane? Someone please explain this to me.

This isn't about personal preference... it is about musical importance as it relates to my musical journey, though. It's going to be subjective. I mean, how does anyone choose Dre over P-Funk?

I love Coltrane. I understand where he fits in the jazz spectrum and how he influenced a lot of what I love (including the Dead). That said, Talking Heads has been an integral part of my musical life since high school. David Byrne is one of my heroes. I love what he does outside of music, too (art installations, urban activism, etc.). I have been influenced to a much greater degree by this man than by Coltrane. So, Talking Heads got my vote.

Similarly, while I understand James Brown's influence on society and music and whatever, may have been greater, the Meters have been a much larger part of my life, my connection to family roots in New Orleans, my love of Jazzfest, etc., so they got my vote.

It's not just personal preference, you see. It's influence. But it is subjective.

I'm not sure that I understand your differences between subjectivity and personal preference.

Let's talk NCAA - I'm a UVA fan (lulz, I know...) - I have been my whole life. UVA has been "a much larger part of my life", to use your words, than any other ncaa team. if they made it to the first round of the ncaa tourney and lost to say, Gonzaga, I might still *like* UVA more, but Gonzaga is obviously the better team.

So I see this whole thing as pretty objective, and not subjective at all. Is that not the point? Am I doing it wrong?  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

I'm telling you how I voted. The "team" in this case is the band or artist who garners the most votes... the band who has influenced the voting pool the most will win. They are, in this arena, on this day, the better team.

If you ask me, there is no way in hell that Dre should have beat out Little Feat... but the result didn't make me "pissed" either. It's the way this board feels. Deal with it.

I'm not actually "pissed"  :roll: - I know this is just a little game. I think I just misunderstood the general voting and choosing process here. If we were voting based on the artist's historical influence and importance, I think a lot of my votes would be different than simply voting based on how the artist has affected me and how it is important to me. Y'know?

So even if I theoretically enjoyed Talking Heads music more, I'd probably vote for Coltrane and argue that he's more influential on a historical level, regardless of how awesome I think David Byrne is. That would be a no-brainer for me.

It's a fine line, though. I voted for Radiohead over Ween in the first round even though I love Ween and don't particularly dig Radiohead... In this case, the historical significance far outweighed the personal preference. That's just not the case here.

Yeah I vote the same way isn't purely historical significance or personal preference, it's both and when they oppose each other I just go with my gut.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

ph92

LIES THIS IS SER BIZ!!!!!!!

Coltrane... easily (though Talking Heads are boss)
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

cactusfan

much as i love Coltrane--as recently witnessed in the album thread--Talking Heads has basically been my favorite band of all time since i was maybe 12 or so. gotta go with Heads here.

sls.stormyrider

you let me down

:wink:
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

cactusfan

Quote from: slslbs on March 22, 2011, 02:40:47 PM
you let me down

:wink:

what we need next is a jazz artist tournament. now that would be interesting.

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

susep

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

sls.stormyrider

The finals would be Miles "acoustic" vs Miles electric.

my vote is for Bird
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."