News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Elite 8 - Round 4 - Natty Dread Region - 1-Bob Marley v 2-Jimi Hendrix

Started by UncleEbinezer, March 30, 2011, 10:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qop24

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

qop24

gah

Quote from: qop24 on March 31, 2011, 04:35:44 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on March 31, 2011, 04:30:58 PM
Quote from: qop24 on March 31, 2011, 04:29:58 PM
Jimi. Duh.

Remind me to punch you in the face tomorrow!  :x

No free drink for you!

HA! It's fine, I clearly am going to have to start buying votes for Marley, so I'll buy YOU a drink.

qop24

Quote from: goodabouthood on March 31, 2011, 04:43:28 PM
Jimi. Duh.

No free drink for you!

HA! It's fine, I clearly am going to have to start buying votes for Marley, so I'll buy YOU a drink.

You'd hafta get me a looooooot of drinks to get me to change my vote. And yes, that's a challenge.  :wink:

gah

Quote from: qop24 on March 31, 2011, 04:49:50 PM
Jimi. Duh.

No free drink for you!

You'd hafta get me a looooooot of drinks to get me to change my vote. And yes, that's a challenge.  :wink:

I hope you like whiskey and moonshine, because that's what I'm bringing!  :samurai:

qop24

Quote from: goodabouthood on March 31, 2011, 04:56:15 PM
Quote from: qop24 on March 31, 2011, 04:49:50 PM
Jimi. Duh.

No free drink for you!

I hope you like whiskey and moonshine, because that's what I'm bringing!  :samurai:

2 of my favorite things in life!

kellerb

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 31, 2011, 04:01:15 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 31, 2011, 03:55:12 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on March 31, 2011, 03:28:41 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 31, 2011, 02:26:59 PM
The measuring stick by which any electric guitar player may be judged...

The electric guitar, I'd argue, is the defining musical instrument of rock music. And in terms of those that have played it, Jimi is one of, if not THE King, of that instrument. No doubting that. The things he does with a guitar are phenomenal. But, like jazz music in some ways, it requires a little bit of understanding to appreciate just what he's doing (not us mind you, those that have grown up in America listening to rock- but the average citizen of the world). Marleys music and message is universal. You don't even have to understand the words in order to feel good, just listen to the melodies, whereas to someone that doesn't know what they're hearing could call that what Jimi just did there noise and offensive to their ears.

The Spice Girls had a fairly broad, international appeal, too. And not just with music geeks... regular people loved them too!

whats not to like?

That picture captures the spice girls at their peak:  Young, Hot, scantily-clad, Not-yet-broke-down-and-tore-up, and blessedly silent.

sls.stormyrider

talking about influences these guys had on music-

If it wasn't for Jimi, the Monkees wouldn't have had an opening act on their summer 67 tour

If it wasn't for Bob, Trey would have had to name his dog Spot, or something like that. And what would Mar-Mar's screen name be??

think about it and vote accordingly
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mistercharlie

Quote from: kellerb on March 31, 2011, 06:51:31 PM
That picture captures the spice girls at their peak:  Young, Hot, scantily-clad, Not-yet-broke-done-and-tore-up, and blessedly silent.

Good show, old chap!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Hicks

Quote from: slslbs on March 31, 2011, 07:05:52 PM

If it wasn't for Jimi, the Monkees wouldn't have had an opening act on their summer 67 tour

Didn't they kick him off the tour pretty quickly?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sls.stormyrider

according to the ultimate, never inaccurate source of information (the interwebs), there are conflicting stories.
One has him being kicked off by the DAR for being too erotic (probably false), one has him being repeatedly booed off the stage, one has him sick of being associated with the Monkees and their fans. The best story is his "salute" to the crowd after his final performance after 7 shows
In their defense, the Monkees themselves supposedly appreciated him for the genius he was.
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mistercharlie

Quote from: slslbs on March 31, 2011, 08:13:13 PM
according to the ultimate, never inaccurate source of information (the interwebs), there are conflicting stories.
One has him being kicked off by the DAR for being too erotic (probably false), one has him being repeatedly booed off the stage, one has him sick of being associated with the Monkees and their fans. The best story is his "salute" to the crowd after his final performance after 7 shows
In their defense, the Monkees themselves supposedly appreciated him for the genius he was.

They don't monkey around.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

sls.stormyrider

mistercharlie